Radeon HD 6870 pictured, based on Barts XT core?

Jos

Staff

AMD hasn’t officially announced its next-generation Radeon HD 6000-series yet, but there’s been no shortage of leaks and rumors to get the hype going in the meantime. The latest comes courtesy of Chinese website it.com.cn, which has posted screenshots of a purportedly leaked PDF document that shows the upcoming Radeon HD 6800 featuring the new AMD Radeon branding rather than an ATI sticker. Interestingly, the document also claims that the Radeon HD 6870 and HD 6850 will be based on the Barts XT and Pro cores, respectively, which appear to be beefed-up versions of the chip found in the HD 5700 series, and not on the Cayman core as previous reports have suggested.

We’re not sure what to make of it, especially given a recent leak showing the Radeon HD 6770 and HD 6750 as Barts XT and Pro cards. The aforementioned spec sheet touted the 6700 series as offering double the horsepower as its predecessor, but if Barts is powering the 6800 range, does this mean it will end up only marginally faster than the 5800 cards it is replacing? And where does that leave the enthusiast Antilles HD 6900 cards made up of dual Cayman cores?

There is certainly a lot of smoke still up in the air, and the latest leak doesn’t bring much in the way of technical specifications or performance details to help clear it up. But what seems to be catching everyone's attention is a reference to an as-yet unannounced technology dubbed 'Eyespeed', and the fact that the reference card seems to have five outputs: two DVI, one HDMI and two Mini DisplayPort. Needless to say you should take all this with a healthy dose of skepticism until AMD makes an official announcement – hopefully, it won't be too long before that happens.

Permalink to story.

As I understood it, Barts was supposed to be the Juniper (HD5750/5770) replacement, so if the shader/clock specs previously published are correct then AMD have decided that the HD 6770 offers too much performance as a HD 5770 successor. By pitching the (old) 6770 as the (new) 6870 it allows AMD some considerable wiggle room at the top end with Cayman, but obviously any performance gain is not going to be anything close to the 30% touted when Barts was seen as Junipers replacement.
It would also add weight to the story that has been circulating for some time that AMD is going to simply rebrand the HD 5750/5770 as HD6750/6770 (Google translated).

dividebyzero said:
As I understood it, Barts was supposed to be the Juniper (HD5750/5770) replacement, so if the shader/clock specs previously published are correct then AMD have decided that the HD 6770 offers too much performance as a HD 5770 successor. By pitching the (old) 6770 as the (new) 6870 it allows AMD some considerable wiggle room at the top end with Cayman, but obviously any performance gain is not going to be anything close to the 30% touted when Barts was seen as Junipers replacement.
It would also add weight to the story that has been circulating for some time that AMD is going to simply rebrand the HD 5750/5770 as HD6750/6770 (Google translated).

My only gripe with that article is how it acts like it is ATi's first time. I know Nvidia is EXTREMELY guilty of it but frankly I see no problem with the companies doing it. Anyways ATi has done it before with their lower end HD 4000 series parts and people should acknowledge this instead of acting like ATi spells god.

http://www.guru3d.com/news/ati-rebrands-11-radeon-hd-3000-cards-to-4000-series/

BTW if I'm wrong about this feel free to throw things at me.

Is there no change to the pcb for the 6000series? I really want shorter cards this time around.

Alster37 said:
Is there no change to the pcb for the 6000series? I really want shorter cards this time around.

Same. Look at the GTX 260 form then the 460 form. It's a HUGE difference. Maybe there's a reason ATi can't shorten them. Or maybe they will shorten them.

Bigger GPU die/ higher shader count probably mean higher power consumption and the need for a similar heatpipe cooling solution + VRM's etc.as the previous series, so you may need to wait for the 28nm Southern Islands before pcb/card size starts decreasing along with higher density GDDR5 chips.
BTW if I'm wrong about this feel free to throw things at me.
You're not wrong. AMD and nvidia are businesses, not philanthropical organisations. You have currency that they want...and they will use any means at their disposal to seperate you from it.

Two points...
1. If the *old* HD6770 is now the *new* HD6870, will the *new* HD6870 have any significant (if any) performance advantage over the HD5870, or is this potentially a let-down scenario in the making along the lines of the 9800GTX's lukewarm reception following the 8800GTX (or ATI 9500 Pro having more performance than the ATI 9800 LE or 9600) ?
2. Pricing structure IF the first point comes to pass.
HD5750/6750 < HD5770/6770 < HD5830/5850 < HD5850/6870 < HD 5870/6890.
Somewhat confusing at the mainstream level, bizarre at the enthusiast level- although I'd assume anyone spending $200+ on a graphics card would research the options before shelling out the cash.

So AMD is pulling an Nvidia now! Oh well I suppose when Nvidia isn't exactly setting the world on fire this was bound to happen.

They really seem to have Nvidia on the ropes atm, so I suppose they can afford to have a little breather with the 6800 series. I'm really looking forward to the 7800 series on 28nm does anyone know the expected release date? Bulldozer is expected in late Q2 next year so I assume it would have to come after that.

ugh, is anyone else tired of companies using all these code names?

it sounds like the 6770 and 6870 will be using different core architectures altogether, with this Barts XT powering 65xx and 67xx cards. the 6870 (if they claim it to be so powerful) will most likely utilize a different and more powerful core structure, similar to what happened with 5850 and 5870 (cypress pro and xt). from all of the leaked data it seems to me that the first AMD-branded only cards are going to be fast, but not outlandishly fast.

Guest said:
So AMD is pulling an Nvidia now! Oh well I suppose when Nvidia isn't exactly setting the world on fire this was bound to happen.

They really seem to have Nvidia on the ropes atm, so I suppose they can afford to have a little breather with the 6800 series. I'm really looking forward to the 7800 series on 28nm does anyone know the expected release date? Bulldozer is expected in late Q2 next year so I assume it would have to come after that.

Yet if you actually read the other comments you would know your comment makes you look like an *****. ATi has done it, just like Nvidia.

GOD is not spelled ATi.

dividebyzero said:
2. Pricing structure IF the first point comes to pass.
HD5750/6750 < HD5770/6770 < HD5830/5850 < HD5850/6870 < HD 5870/6890.
Somewhat confusing at the mainstream level, bizarre at the enthusiast level- although I'd assume anyone spending $200+ on a graphics card would research the options before shelling out the cash.

Jesus christ. These numbers must be wrong or the ATi staff has lost their minds.

red1776 said:
GOD is not spelled ATi.

and people should acknowledge this instead of acting like ATi spells god.

would someone please tell princeton he's clever already, so he can retire this bit of fan-boy rhetoric.

Lol I didn't realize I used it twice. Sorry about that :p. Not really checking my posts as much as I do on facepunch.

P.S. "Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe" I laughed so much.

Lol I didn't realize I used it twice. Sorry about that :p. Not really checking my posts as much as I do on facepunch.

P.S. "Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe" I laughed so much.

oh its good rhetoric princeton:) just need to space it out a bit.
Whats 'facepunch'?

@ princeton

Got reading and comprehension skills? I said "So AMD is pulling an Nvidia now!"

The operative word is "now". As in now they are pulling an nvidia (ie your favourite company who is well known for their shameless rebranding, you know the type of shameless rebranding that spanned 3 generations from the 8800GTS->9800GTX->9800GTX+->GTS250) with the 6700 series. Dont take it out on me because you lack comprehension skills fanboy.

Troll harder.

"dividebyzero
on October 10, 2010
12:19 PM Maybe that should read facepalm ?"

+1. Succinct.

Oh good god damn, people, quit crying over the new generation of ATi cards that are coming out. You'll find out what they are performance wise when THEY ARE RELEASED!!

Jesus Christ you people act like someone was shot over something that doesn't officially exist yet.. ****ing Internet.. Needs reform.

Back