Radeon RX 580 Revisit: Is This the Graphics Card to Buy in 2021?

As always a great review, thanks.

Personally, I like the comparison of different quality levels + resolutions for older GPU.

It would be interesting to see the same for other older GPU as that‘s certainly interesting for budget gamers using older cards or buying used once the market returns to (somewhat) normal as those should be $100 ish used cards.

What I‘d also love to see is an update for this review once FSR has been launched and is available in a meaningful number of popular games. It would really be interesting to compare both performance and quality native vs upsampled, I.e. what looks better - the resolution the game is upsampled from (I.e. original at 1080p) vs the end result (upsampled to 1440p) and what are the fps for each.

Great GPU that aged really well but if I was buying a GPU now I would rather overpay for an RTX30 or RX6000 card and be done with it than overpay for an old gpu like this one and then I have to keep paying attention to the market for when prices drop and then buy a new card again. It would be less frustrating and I could mine with the new card to get some money back.

1080p, great card, just like a 980Ti can be in this day and age.

Ebay shows 980Ti cards and RX 580 upwards of $500.
A 6 year old 980Ti card going for close to retail MSRP (was $649) and a 4.5 year old card going for 2x retail MSRP (was $249) is crazy.

Cards that will sooner rather than later, no longer be supported by Nvidia and AMD for driver support.....I personally wouldn't put any stock into getting one of these cards unless you have absolutely no other option. If you're still sitting on one and using it, they're still solid 1080p cards and they can handle higher resolutions at a reasonable level if you're okay with lowering settings.

Seeing that these 4+ year old cards can still play 1080p or 1440p on some of the newer games with decent results is nice, but it's just hard to justify spending this kind of money on second hand GPUs with this much age to them.

Last edited:
It is a decent card to have if you already own one. FSR will also give it a good bump in performance when it becomes available. But to buy one in 2021, and very likely you are paying a steep premium for it, I rather stick to iGPU from the likes of AMD or Intel and skip games for now. There isn't a lot of new games that interest me of late anyway.

I had a choice of 580 or a 980 Ti a while ago. The 980 Ti beats it so I went with that. Got it used for $175 shipped. I would have no qualms with getting a 580 to tide me over, great value card but not at the current prices.

Last edited:
I'm lucky enough to still have a GTX1080. Still a capable card, but it's showing its age. There's no way I'd recommend anyone pay anything close to $500 for it.

These words taste foul coming out of my mouth, but the way things are with PC GPUs right now, and if we're talking ballpark $500 for the average Joe rather than the extreme enthusiast, than perhaps console gaming is a better value proposition than old-gen PC gaming hardware? They're easier to come by, relatively speaking, sell at RRP, and are relevant. They'll hold some value and can be sold on when things settle down.

If things actually do get worse - I never thought I'd say this - I'd reluctantly take a sojourn on next gen PC gaming. Its still the king, but any sane value-orientated consumer would have to question where the extra value is at these kind of prices.

In upgrading from a 6GB 1060 to a 5600 XT, I discovered lots of issues with DX9 and older games on the AMD card that didn't make me happy so I'm one who would love to see the retest with XFSS on a 1060.

FSR support has been extended to the RX 480 and 470.

I'm glad, since there's essentially no major differences between them and their 500-series counterparts, and, up until this was announced, I couldn't figure out why the upper-end 400 cards couldn't receive the same treatment at up to a ~10% performance loss, unless you overclock to 580 levels (which is pretty easy; memory goes to 2000, and core can get a nice bump too).

Great review, we do what we have to do these days!

You left out the RX480, which is essentially the same as the RX580. Even the RX470 is a lower option and a decent card that will run today's games at lower quality settings.

These words taste foul coming out of my mouth, but the way things are with PC GPUs right now, and if we're talking ballpark $500 for the average Joe rather than the extreme enthusiast, than perhaps console gaming is a better value proposition than old-gen PC gaming hardware? They're easier to come by, relatively speaking, sell at RRP, and are relevant. They'll hold some value and can be sold on when things settle down.

If things actually do get worse - I never thought I'd say this - I'd reluctantly take a sojourn on next gen PC gaming.
There are many reasons I would quit being a gamer at this juncture, but this is absolutely not one of them. There is nothing worth playing that I would switch to a console, for any reason - no exclusive, nothing. Despite loving the series and lore, I didn't switch to Xbox for Halo and I sure as hell wouldn't do it for the dreck coming out today. Consoles and iPhones belong in the same class of device - e.g., cheap disposable gadgets that aren't really yours.

If there is a reason to abandon PC gaming it's that it's being slowly consolized. Manufacturers stripping down the design of the platform to just being a CPU, GPU, RAM, and memory stick, while emphasizing cheap gimmicks like RGB over actual innovations, or publishers like Epic poisoning the space with console-exclusive practices, and developers in general releasing increasingly shoddy, broken, cheap and disappointing games.

I will stop gaming long before I stop being a PC enthusiast; I was the latter first, and the latter I will always remain.

I have an XFX RX 570 8Gb card in my system, I play some games but mostly do movie streaming, emails, and financials, I have no issues to date maybe TechSpot could do a Revisit on the RX 570 8Gb card, bought new $159.00 now they go for as much as $500.00+ 0n Amazon.

Rip-offs are the order of the day, it seems. I just may sell some GPUs I have around here for an actual fair price. I have quite a few from systems I have built for friends and family.

I know I'm glad I had one laying around been a backup card for times my main rig is torn down for watercooling repair / upgrades for about 2 years.

I just sold it for almost $600 bucks having my 3080 (and soon 3080ti) I don't expect I'll need a "backup" for a while and wasnt doing me any good just sitting here.

I'm lucky enough to still have a GTX1080. Still a capable card, but it's showing its age. There's no way I'd recommend anyone pay anything close to $500 for it.

If things actually do get worse - I never thought I'd say this - I'd reluctantly take a sojourn on next gen PC gaming. Its still the king, but any sane value-orientated consumer would have to question where the extra value is at these kind of prices.
I mean I know there's a shortage but I still don't know how EVERYONE seems to not be able to get anything and yet we have steam data showing 1060 shrinking and 30 series growing among many other examples of actual gamers getting hardware.

I don't like to brag too much but it irks me a bit how hyperbolic some people can be. I just think many aren't trying THAT HARD.

I've gotten since the launch of 30 series and the next gen consoles gpu's for myself and several friends and family and a Playstation 5 on launch and another just today. Not to mention the 4 xbox series ( 2 x and 2 a) that I picked up for friends and family last year as well.

I'm not some kind of expert I don't have "inside" connections nor use any kind of paid for bot services type thing.

Just some pretty basic web notifications and some due diligence to keep try and be there IMMEDIATELY any time I have a chance to get something.

I had a friend who tried to get a 3080ti the other day along with me who was on speakerphone with me while we tried and he wanted to give up after like 30 minutes of failing and yet I pushed him to keep working on it and within the hour he had secured his card.

I'm just saying I don't think everyone has tried to the level they act like they have. I'm sure plenty will tell me how much they have but the proof is in the pudding and the dozen plus cards consoles etc I've gotten tell me plenty.

I mean I know there's a shortage but I still don't know how EVERYONE seems to not be able to get anything and yet we have steam data showing 1060 shrinking and 30 series growing among many other examples of actual gamers getting hardware.

I don't like to brag too much but it irks me a bit how hyperbolic some people can be. I just think many aren't trying THAT HARD.

I've gotten since the launch of 30 series and the next gen consoles gpu's for myself and several friends and family and a Playstation 5 on launch and another just today. Not to mention the 4 xbox series ( 2 x and 2 a) that I picked up for friends and family last year as well.

I'm not some kind of expert I don't have "inside" connections nor use any kind of paid for bot services type thing.

Just some pretty basic web notifications and some due diligence to keep try and be there IMMEDIATELY any time I have a chance to get something.

I had a friend who tried to get a 3080ti the other day along with me who was on speakerphone with me while we tried and he wanted to give up after like 30 minutes of failing and yet I pushed him to keep working on it and within the hour he had secured his card.

I'm just saying I don't think everyone has tried to the level they act like they have. I'm sure plenty will tell me how much they have but the proof is in the pudding and the dozen plus cards consoles etc I've gotten tell me plenty.

It depends on where you live though. In my neck of the woods it's easy enough to get a PS5, but a next gen GPU has proven very difficult. Thats using Dischord and Twitter groups with notifications. I could have bought a 3070 a couple of times, but the markup over RRP just wasn't worth it. Brexit hasn't helped. A number of once reliable British retailers still can't ship to the EU, and several EU stores won't ship to periphery regions.

But my point isn't just about availability, it's about value for money.

Good article.

My daughter is a gaming maniac, mainly League of Legends. Her Radeon 560 handles everything at 1080p just fine.

I was smart enough to buy a Radeon VII for myself when they first came out. List was $700, but it came with three AAA titles so the real price was around $550. I slapped a Morpheus II on it, which reduced fan noise dramatically. It's a fantastic card, best purchase I have made in years. I game using ultra settings with a 4k monitor, no problem maintaining 60+ fps in any game. I'm satisfied.

Let's hope the industry solves their shortage problems soon.

I bought my RX580 8GB for AU$300 brand new in 2018, and sold it this year for $485. Interesting times indeed.

I had to replace it anyway for one specific reason - h264 encoding. The encoder ASIC on the RX580 doesn't perform very well, and replacing it with NVENC cut my transcode times by over 60%. Ended up 'downgrading' to a Quadro P400 for faster performance! This is a very specific use-case though, as it's not for gaming.

Bought a GTX1660 Super for the second workstation for AU$379 before the human malware hit. Was definitely the value-performance sweet spot for my needs. To be honest, I'd rather spend US$500 on something else (like some other hobby) before buying such an old and overpriced PC component.

Last edited by a moderator:
I for one would be perfectly happy with a 580 if I hadn't upgraded to a 1440p screen last summer. At the time I also got a 5600XT (glad I did - I was hoping to wait until the 6000-series came out, but I got lucky, there) and I expect it'll be good enough for me until it starts dying.

Then again, I play only few (new-ish) AAA games, and the ones I do play tend to be the likes of Total War: Warhammer series, so not the most graphically intensive. Although I probably will get Cyberpunk 2077 at some point if people can get it to work well in Wine (as there's probably no chance of CDPR releasing a linux version - they can't even port GOG Galaxy to Linux, not that I would use it anyway).

The situation is so bad that an RX580 is still relevant in 2021...
But I have a different question, since we are speaking about second handed products: how long will it lasts ?
I never kept a graphic card more than 3/4 years, and here we are speaking about products running very hot (often above 80° with hot spots above 90°C) for years, paying even $400/500 for them.
If it costs $150 and it dies after 1 year, it probably ins't a big deal. But what about $450 ?

Back