Radeon RX 580 vs. GeForce GTX 1060: 27 Game Battle

Nice article steve!

Unfortunately only enthusiasts read these. Up to this point the GTX 1060 has outsold the RX 480 5 to 1. When performance is close people will always buy Nvidia because it is the GPU brand that comes to mind first and AMD is thought of as a value brand. You don't buy a value brand for the same price as a premium one.

So, the 1060 wins across the board, value, temps, performance, power consumption. But you recommend the 580 because you guys prefer freesync to gsync?

What happened to this website?

So, the 1060 wins across the board, value, temps, performance, power consumption. But you recommend the 580 because you guys prefer freesync to gsync?

What happened to this website?

Wins across the board? What happened to this website? All good questions.
Look at that nice pretty graph we created for you on the last page, have a good look and get back to me :D

Look at that nice pretty graph we created for you on the last page, have a good look and get back to me :D

I read the review. You've done your very best to make out that the 580 is faster. Yoursuite of games that you have tested could not be more biased. Every single other respectable tech reviewer states the 1060 is faster (by 7% on average according to anandtech for example).

I'm not coming here anymore. The 1060 IS a better buy than the ageing power hungry 580. As every other respectable tech site has concluded. People shouldn't listen to you.

I read the review. You've done your very best to make out that the 580 is faster. Yoursuite of games that you have tested could not be more biased. Every single other respectable tech reviewer states the 1060 is faster (by 7% on average according to anandtech for example).

I'm not coming here anymore. The 1060 IS a better buy than the ageing power hungry 580. As every other respectable tech site has concluded. People shouldn't listen to you.
lol, sounds like someones wife got insulted.

I'm just curious as to why his site has different conclusions to most others out there.

I guess I should also ask if Steve has been rattled by the recent plummet in AMD stock value, he's clearly a shareholder.

I used to love this site. Unfortunately il be deleting it from my bookmarks now probably. At least we still have anandtech and Techreport!

Did you ever think that maybe it was due to the testing platforms? Anandtech used an older Ivy Bridge-E system (http://www.anandtech.com/show/11278/amd-radeon-rx-580-rx-570-review/4) with less RAM (also DDR3 instead of DDR4), & even used different models for the GPUs.

Given how disparate that Anandtech's results were -- their GTA V performance, for example (http://www.anandtech.com/show/11278/amd-radeon-rx-580-rx-570-review/12), for both their GTX 1060 & RX 580 were maybe half the results Steve obtained -- it just shows how much the non-GPU hardware in a PC can affect the results.

The reviewer can only publish his findings and results, no one else's. Should you wish to believe or disbelieve them, that's entirely your prerogative so thanks for popping in, and our eternal gratitude for leaving.

I'm just curious as to why his site has different conclusions to most others out there.

I guess I should also ask if Steve has been rattled by the recent plummet in AMD stock value, he's clearly a shareholder.

I used to love this site. Unfortunately il be deleting it from my bookmarks now probably. At least we still have anandtech and Techreport!
It's pretty obvious as to how he got his conclusions.... he read the results of his tests, and wrote accordingly....

As he ALSO stated in his conclusions, however, is that both cards are VERY similar, and while he'd recommend AMD, you could easily justify an Nvidia purchase.

It's interesting to note that there are other members of this site calling Steve an Nvidia fanboy and call out his hatred of AMD.... now we have someone calling him an AMD shareholder!

Steve: This is proof you are doing your job well and are unbiased :)

Hahaha you cite Anandtech. Their review was a joke. 8 games total were tested using games like Battlefield 4. Not BF1 which shows modern day engine performance, battlefield 4. Checkout Guru3d and or Techpowerup's reviews. Both of those sites use a large test suite like Steve did and came to the same conclusions.

Meh...very similar cards... just get the cheaper one... in this case can be either one...

6% difference in FPS?? Hardly noticeable when you're gaming...

I'm always amused by how tech sites choose their favorite cards...

Hahaha you cite Anandtech. Their review was a joke. 8 games total were tested using games like Battlefield 4. Not BF1 which shows modern day engine performance, battlefield 4. Checkout Guru3d and or Techpowerup's reviews. Both of those sites use a large test suite like Steve did and came to the same conclusions.
Can you link me to Techpowerup's 580 versus 1060 9 GBps review? I cannot find it. TIA.

As Steve conveneniantly forgot to mention, here is some information about noise and power consumption:

http://techreport.com/review/31754/amd-radeon-rx-580-and-radeon-rx-570-graphics-cards-reviewed/6

No idea why you wouldn't have shown this information. Do you think gamers don't care about power consumption or noise mate?

It's on the first page. Actually, their tests show the 580 to have higher power consumption than techreport, I guess that means there's a clear nvidia bias instead.

@ScubaRhys

You actually make it sound like Steve here is shoving the card down people's throats at gunpoint. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. While the RX580 is the faster card nVidia is still outselling them 5:1 just like they did with the 970 vs 390 and so forth. The RX580 is indeed the better card when it comes to raw performance. It does suck more out of the wall and runs hotter but if you're on a budget and want the best performance for that price range this would be it. If you prefer something that runs cooler/quieter/less power-hungry you go with option B. Bottom line is no one is forcing you to buy anything it's your decision based on your needs.

Great article Steven, I'll recommend it to my friend who can't decide which card to pick up.
According to games he want to play he'll probably decide pretty fast :)
Thank you, keep up good work.

Last edited:
Steve said:
It's interesting to look back at the RX 480 vs. GTX 1060 battle and see how things have evolved. Our day one GTX 1060 coverage back in July 2016 found the green team dominating, beating the RX 480 by a convincing 12% margin.

Now that the dust has largely settled, the GTX 1060 is still a fraction faster than the RX 480, but the new overclocked RX 580 has enough juice to overtake the GeForce card.
While I do find those results interesting it has taken nearly a year and a new board design (along with a rebrand) to achieve those results.

I can agree that if you've waited this long and FPS per $ is your main consideration the 580 is the card for you. It was a bit easier to make this decision before the 580 was released.

so what you are saying is that by using the newest drivers, Nvidia should still win because the results with the old drivers were better for you?
FYI if you want other results you can check hardwarecanucks to confirm the same results techspot had (aka the 580 > 1060) and they also have updated results for the 1060 vs 480 done in dec 2016 which put the 480 2% slower in DX11 and 6% faster in dx12/Vulkan results.

It's simple, at the this price range if both cards are similar in price you'll want to go for the 580 because it's faster in more games, has much better support for future low level APIs and also 8GB of VRAM.

Where the 1060 wins is in the power consumption, but those numbers still put it in the same power supply category.

so what you are saying is that by using the newest drivers, Nvidia should still win because the results with the old drivers were better for you?
FYI if you want other results you can check hardwarecanucks to confirm the same results techspot had (aka the 580 > 1060) and they also have updated results for the 1060 vs 480 done in dec 2016 which put the 480 2% slower in DX11 and 6& faster in dx12/Vulkan results.

It's simple, at the this price range if both cards are similar in price you'll want to go for the 580 because it's faster in more games, has much better support for future low level APIs and also 8GB of VRAM.

Where the 1060 wins is in the power consumption, but those numbers still put it in the same power supply category.

Yep, somehow in all of ScubaRhys fanboy rage he missed this from the final page and I think it sums it up very well, if I do say so myself (which I did :cool:).

"Taking a closer look at the big wins and loses for each team, it's interesting to note that AMD took the lead in the majority of the games tested (15 to Nvidia's 11) while they tied in only one title. That said, margins were extremely slim in Overwatch, For Honor and F1 2016.

The RX 580 was faster by a 10% margin or greater in Total War: Warhammer, Titanfall 2, Mafia III, Resident Evil 7, Call of Duty Infinite Warfare and Doom. Meanwhile it was 10% slower in just three titles, Dishonored 2, Gears of War 4 and Grand Theft Auto V.

The cards are quite similar in terms of performance, though you'll see a little bit more performance (and quite a bit more power consumption) with an RX 580 out of the box than a GTX 1060.....

Of course, as I said earlier, there isn't really a wrong choice and buying a GTX 1060 could be justified almost as easily. What can be said for certain is that there is some extremely fierce competition in the sub-$300 GPU market right now, which seems like a great time for enthusiasts to consider upgrading."

Favourite removed. Unfortunately I trust anandtech, techreport, gamers nexus and I could go on over Steve and Steve can't explain why. In fact none of you can.

Pathetic, what a waste of a good website.

From the site YOU linked (Techreport):
"Depending on how prices work out at e-tail for this highly competitive segment, we think the conclusion is simple: buy an RX 570 or RX 580 if you were planning to buy an RX 470 or RX 480. If heat or power consumption are a concern for you, get the GTX 1060 6GB instead. You really can't go wrong either way."

and

"The RX 570 pulls on par with the GTX 1060 3GB in our 99th-percentile-FPS-per-dollar measure, while the RX 580 actually surpasses the GTX 1060 6GB for smooth gaming despite that card's higher performance potential (as measured by our average-FPS-per-dollar chart)."

So even YOUR OWN SOURCE says exactly what Steve's article discovered. Can't go wrong either way.

"Depending on how prices work out at e-tail for this highly competitive segment, we think the conclusion is simple: buy an RX 570 or RX 580 if you were planning to buy an RX 470 or RX 480. If heat or power consumption are a concern for you, get the GTX 1060 6GB instead. You really can't go wrong either way."

and

"The RX 570 pulls on par with the GTX 1060 3GB in our 99th-percentile-FPS-per-dollar measure, while the RX 580 actually surpasses the GTX 1060 6GB for smooth gaming despite that card's higher performance potential (as measured by our average-FPS-per-dollar chart)."

So even YOUR OWN SOURCE says exactly what Steve's article discovered. Can't go wrong either way.

He can't read reviews, just toxic comments :) So he had no idea what conclusion Techreport actually came to!

Dont let the door hit you on the way out!

The sooner you leave the better.

and

He can't read reviews, just toxic comments :) So he had no idea what conclusion Techreport actually came to!

Great job steve. It takes a lot to stand up to ignorant people but unfortunately thats the reality we live in. Awesome review. I have a 1080 but reviews are my favorite thing on this site regardless of brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the games you play or plan to play and see what card does better, simple as that

This test simply proved to me there is no reason to go out of your way to get the 1060 9gbps or AMD 580 compared to the previous offerings.

Back