Radeon RX 590 vs. RX 580 vs. GTX 1060: Battle for the best value sub-$300 GPU

What a joke, pay 80$ more for a 580 with higher clock to get 1 to 5 more fps and call it 590.

How about comparing it to an overclocked 480.

Everyone always says this kind of thing, but I'm saying it anyway.

It would have been nice to test an RX480 alongside these. Only if to see how Polaris has evolved over each generation and the gap the RX590 now has. The overclocking on the RX590 looks like Polaris can get fairly close to a stock GTX1070. I would still much rather have a GTX1070 for a bit more at this price point, even as old as the 1070 is now. This needs to be discounted below MSRP at retail, I think it will be after a few weeks.

What this also shows is how Global Foundries 12nm isn't even much of a step over GF 14nm. I'm much more excited for AMD products on TSMC 7nm next year, which on paper should be a big leap over what AMD have been delivering on GF 14nm

Sorry, but the comparison has no sense for me. If you are testing videocards in 1080p you must include 1060 3GB and 580 4GB. The both are cheaper then any one with 6GB and 8GB already. Also 580 4GB will beat 1060 6GB or be neck-to-neck in 1080p new games.
So it's misleading readers pushing them to have a look at higer options while they can get same for 10-15% less price. Right now Asus 580 4GB is $160 on Newegg and it is a pretty good deal.

Sorry, but the comparison has no sence for me. If you are testing videocards in 1080p you must include 1060 3GB and 580 4GB. The both are cheaper then any one with 6GB and 8GB already. Also 580 4GB will beat 1060 6GB or be neck-to-neck in 1080p new games.
So it's misleading readers pushing them to have a look at higer options while they can get same for 10-15% less price. Right now Asus 580 4GB is $160 on Newegg and it is a pretty good deal.
The 1060 3gb is not in the same class as the 1060 6gb though. More than just VRAM is changed for the 1060 3gb. Also 3-4 GB VRAM is now below recommended system requirements for some newer games. In those games, the frame rate can drop if there is not enough VRAM

Realistically, your power supply won’t have an issue with this increase and you’re not exactly going to notice it on the power bill either, unless you game 24/7.
Unless you live in a 3rd world country, where Electricity is not nuclear, we use petrol, which is expensive, so we have around 12 to 16 hours a day, the rest is basically you can call it a UPS Battery Backup for the whole house, I'm eager to upgrade but AMD keeps pushing me to the Green Camp.

I am Budget/Mainstream so I don't really get milked as the High end guys, I can use both companies. in fact I had to ditch my old FX8320e in favor of a Xeon to reduce the Hit of the PC to the house UPS.

Sorry, but the comparison has no sence for me. If you are testing videocards in 1080p you must include 1060 3GB and 580 4GB. The both are cheaper then any one with 6GB and 8GB already. Also 580 4GB will beat 1060 6GB or be neck-to-neck in 1080p new games.

We addressed this in the intro and just added one more note that reads:

If you don't mind extrapolating however, previous tests will give you plenty of straight GPU comparisons if that's what you want (RX 590 excluded of course).

Where can one find these $200 RX 580 cards?

Maybe the worst AIB 580 is around $200, but I'm still seeing most at $240 to $280.

Maybe I need to expand my shopping beyond Amazon and Newegg.

Where can one find these $200 RX 580 cards?

Maybe the worst AIB 580 is around $200, but I'm still seeing most at $240 to $280.

Maybe I need to expand my shopping beyond Amazon and Newegg.
Yes, you need to expand it. Just go to pcpartpicker.com and you will be able to find RX580 8GB for $200 on Newegg.

What about an OC 1060 6GB versus the 590 (OCed 580?) I'd say they're still very comparable in performance. The main difference is still in power consumption, as the AMD card will use more watts.

If the RX 590 is just overclocked in performance, it makes me wonder why someone wouldn't buy an RX 580, and just overclock that part (unless they don't want to do it manually.)

Even more interesting is that Nvidia is said to be releasing a 1060 with GDDR5X memory.

What about an OC 1060 6GB versus the 590 (OCed 580?) I'd say they're still very comparable in performance. The main difference is still in power consumption, as the AMD card will use more watts.

If the RX 590 is just overclocked in performance, it makes me wonder why someone wouldn't buy an RX 580, and just overclock that part (unless they don't want to do it manually.)

The difference is a 590 isn't an overclocked 580; it's a faster one. You can get a couple hundred megahertz more by OCing a 590.

In the UK the 1060 6gb is the same price or cheaper than an RX580 and the RX590 costs nearly the same as Vega 56. Basically in the UK the RX590 is a bit of a fail.

In the UK?

Excluding Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals, 1060's and 580's are around the same price, agreed, around £225-£230 though both can be had for around £200 if you look hard enough.
1060's get a free game, 580's and 590's get 2 free games.

The 590 can be had for £250 and the Vega 56 for £350 (both on Scan and Ebuyer)

Vega56 at £350 is tempting me to replace my 280x, especially with 3 free games but I might just as well wait and see if there are any crimbo deals, or wait for Navi/2060.

Realistically, your power supply won’t have an issue with this increase and you’re not exactly going to notice it on the power bill either, unless you game 24/7.
Unless you live in a 3rd world country, where Electricity is not nuclear, we use petrol, which is expensive, so we have around 12 to 16 hours a day, the rest is basically you can call it a UPS Battery Backup for the whole house, I'm eager to upgrade but AMD keeps pushing me to the Green Camp.

I am Budget/Mainstream so I don't really get milked as the High end guys, I can use both companies. in fact I had to ditch my old FX8320e in favor of a Xeon to reduce the Hit of the PC to the house UPS.

Not really, even on expensive places like Hawaii, unless if you are gaming 24 hours a day, the difference per year is less than 16 dóllars a year. That is a moot point in gaming, or otherwise just quit PC gaming and play with the Switch.

Not really, even on expensive places like Hawaii, unless if you are gaming 24 hours a day, the difference per year is less than 16 dóllars a year. That is a moot point in gaming, or otherwise just quit PC gaming and play with the Switch.
its not about the price of the energy, its preserving my UPS lifespan, in my area the energy is not stable at all, you get 3 to 6 hours without it on a daily basis, and you never know when, but she is leaving for sure.

its not about the price of the energy, its preserving my UPS lifespan, in my area the energy is not stable at all, you get 3 to 6 hours without it on a daily basis, and you never know when, but she is leaving for sure.

Still does not make any sense at all.

Back