RAM 4GB used 6GB installed

Hi, I've searched google all over, tried various things but nothing seems to change it

Using Win7 x64, PC Spec:

Intel i7 920
Asus Rampage Genisis 2
I have 3 x 2GB Corsair, (6GB) installed in slot A1, B1 and C1.

Windows only seems to pick up on 4GB however I do have 6GB installed.
I ran CPU-Z to scan my system and it picked up all 3 sticks, they're just not being used for some reason.

Any help greatly appreciated, I have moved the sticks around, reseated them and my CPU (no bent pins) so i'm pretty confident it is either a win7 64 bit issue, maybe a setting somewhere or BIOS settings. Note that I do not have Memory Remapping in my BIOS, is there an alternative?

Has Windows ever picked up 6GB? If not then maybe one of the sticks if faulty?

I had the exact same issue as you, one day Windows was randomly missing a 2GB stick but CPU-Z was showing everything there. I took all the RAM sticks out, blew them with compressed air and it worked.

Has Windows ever picked up 6GB? If not then maybe one of the sticks if faulty?

I had the exact same issue as you, one day Windows was randomly missing a 2GB stick but CPU-Z was showing everything there. I took all the RAM sticks out, blew them with compressed air and it worked.

I'm out of air cans but i have taken them out, switched them around and still having same issue, windows doesn't seem to read 6GB it just says "4GB Installed" rather than "6GB Installed 4GB In Use"

How come CPU-Z Picks up on 3 sticks but not windows?

Solved!

No idea why but my mobo RAM slots are set up as (from left (CPU) to right)

C2 C1 B2 B1 A2 A1

the 3 stickS ONLY seem to work together in slots A1 A2 and B2 no idea why, but its working now so cant complain, thanks for the helps ^^

Check for ram seating correctly at a guess. Not hard for a stick to be not 100% "clicked" in place. If that isn't the problem, maybe ram voltages. Try another tri-channel kit if you can. Could have one that doesn't work in tri-channel on your board (or faulty).

i7-920 only comes on tri-channel boards afaik so should be ok. He won't be getting tri-channel BW with them in mismatched slots like that.

Back