RAM and SSD prices will soon plummet due to oversupply and weak demand

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Are you looking to upgrade your SSD and memory? We could soon see their prices drop to a record low, primarily due to an oversupply of NAND- and DRAM-based products. According to a new report, prices will fall by about 10 percent throughout 2020 and will continue to decline during Q1 2021.

"Despite the traditional peak season for electronics sales and the release of Apple's new iPhones in 3Q20, the quarterly decline in NAND flash ASP [average selling price] will likely reach 10 percent, due to the client end's excess inventory under the impact of the pandemic," writes DRAMeXchange.

DigiTimes also reports that the prices of memory chips, including NAND and DRAM, are expected to fall 10 percent in the fourth quarter, with the downward trend continuing into the first half of 2021.

The reason for the price decline comes down to supply and demand. There's too much memory around and manufacturers aren't buying it—both Western Digital and Micron are just two firms that have slowed their purchasing.

QoQ changes in ASP and 2020 Sequential Price Change of NAND Flash

Price Forecast 1Q 2020 2Q 2020 3Q 2020E 4Q 2020F 2020 Sequential
Total NAND Flash up 0~5% up 5~10% down 5~10% down 10~15% down 5~10%

Source: TrendForce, July 2020

Deutsche Bank analyst Sidney Ho writes (via Barron's) that data centers and other enterprise customers stockpiled memory devices at the start of the pandemic over fears of a future shortage. That's caused an oversupply, meaning less demand from customers in the coming quarters.

It's not just the panic buying that's resulted in the falling prices. "Furthermore, as suppliers continue making improvements in the yield rate of 128L NAND flash, the oversupply in the NAND flash market will intensify in 4Q20, further exacerbating the decline in NAND flash ASP," DRAMeXchange adds.

The ASP could fall as much as 15 percent in the coming months, and with component prices dropping, the products they appear in usually become cheaper, too. That means we could see some great deals on solid-state storage and RAM during holiday events such as Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

Prices bottoming out might be welcomed by PC fans, but it could spell disaster for manufacturers. Some NAND producers have been reducing supply to try and stop the decline, but companies that use the flash memory in their products aren't clearing stock fast enough due to the economic downturn.

"Since an excessive level of inventory has been carried over to this quarter, contract prices have inevitably turned downward," DRAMeXchange says.

Permalink to story.

I would say I'm surprised. With so many people stuck at home this is one item I would think would be flying off the shelves, but their loss is our gain and I think they could drop a lot more than 10% .... more like 25% .... then I'm going to break into my piggy bank and get more, more, more

Good time for a new build then. DDR5 and the supporting platforms are still going to be at least a year away at Christmas. So I'll be picking up some fast DDR4 and a PCIEe 4.0 SSD.

The Sabrent Rocket 4 models are attractive. If they can drop down closer to $1.50 a gigabyte then I'll be all over one. They are currently about $2 a gigabyte last time I looked.

I really want a 2TB drive. Game sizes are getting out of control really. Perhaps it would make more sense to have a 1TB boot drive and then a cheaper PCIe 3.0 model if prices continue to drop. Adata XPG 8200 Pro can be had at great prices right now, hopefully even better in three months or so.

I would say I'm surprised. With so many people stuck at home this is one item I would think would be flying off the shelves, but their loss is our gain and I think they could drop a lot more than 10% .... more like 25% .... then I'm going to break into my piggy bank and get more, more, more

In the good old days, when someone complained that their computer was slow, you'd point them towards more RAM and a HDD clean.

Now that people have SSD, computers ac t faster than ever, and now that most computers come with 8 - 16GB RAM, I'd say they fill duties faster than ever as well.

"More RAM is something I's say only gamers and enthusiasts are focused on. Many have convinced themselves they need no more than 16GB. Anyone with 32GB or more probably already has it.

Enthusiasts know DDR5 is coming soon.

I'd say DDR4 RAM is going to sit on shelves even longer and suffer a price crash when DDR5 comes to market.

RAM prices only really spiked due to the 2017 - 2019 run up with cryptocurrency.

This is good.

Currently waiting for RDNA 2 and Zen 3 for my next upgrades.

Then I can bump up to 32GB's of ram, and add two more SSDs into my rig.

In the good old days, when someone complained that their computer was slow, you'd point them towards more RAM and a HDD clean.

Now that people have SSD, computers ac t faster than ever, and now that most computers come with 8 - 16GB RAM, I'd say they fill duties faster than ever as well.

"More RAM is something I's say only gamers and enthusiasts are focused on. Many have convinced themselves they need no more than 16GB. Anyone with 32GB or more probably already has it.

Enthusiasts know DDR5 is coming soon.

I'd say DDR4 RAM is going to sit on shelves even longer and suffer a price crash when DDR5 comes to market.

RAM prices only really spiked due to the 2017 - 2019 run up with cryptocurrency.

DDR5 won't be here until the end of 2021.

Also like every new memory standard it will be expensive and start off slower than high end DDR4 until they can ramp up the speeds.

I don't believe you will see the price crash of DDR4 until DDR5 as been on the market for a while not at launch.

Last edited:
I am guessing there is many like me waiting for the new graphics cards, been waiting 2 years for this upgrade, well new built entirely!! They will rise again in September I would think.

I wondered why the last couple of SSD's that I bought from Amazon, for replacing old dying or dead) hard drives were almost ten percent less than a month or two ago. This is great news for all of us.

PCI-NVME prices come down, a win win for me! 1/2TB on my laptop, would be nice to have a less expensive 1 TB.

1TB SSDs has been affordable for awhile. Not sure why so many never got one yet. Have mine since 2018. You can buy them for $150 or less now.

Yea I agree. Not sure whats going on since everytime I look in a store they are either sold out or have very little. Every area can be different but I bet we see low supplys for consumers if it gets gobbled up. I mean by stores not by online.

I hope prices go down quite a bit soon. I am definitely upgrading within a year and that would just be icing on the cake...

Is there something a pci-e 3.0 NvME drive can't do that a 4.0 drive can? Not knocking on the upgrade just curious about the comment?

In real world usage no. It will benchmark better. Even a really good SATA SSD is only slightly slower than NVME in day to day use. I find it useful mainly because I need a fast scratch disk for Adobe software. It’s slightly faster for games, but honestly I don’t think it’s significant.

I won't be impressed until 4TB SSD's are around the $200 price mark...should have been there along time ago, IMO.
True, I'd love a *cheap* PCIE 4.0 in 4TB for a scratch disk. Did you notice the spike and lacking inventories as soon as the Covid-19 isolation policies began? A few times the local MicroCenter had some "important" products out of stock with no known time period for delivery. I certainly would not mind if SONY did a nice humbling on a 4.0/4T which appears to be a non-product anyway.

No.

However if one is going to build a AM4 system with B550/X570 board since the platform supports it why would you not.

Lower prices for one. The 4 on it won't gain me anything more if I can get a pcie 3 nvme for cheaper. You can always upgrade later.

Lower prices for one. The 4 on it won't gain me anything more if I can get a pcie 3 nvme for cheaper. You can always upgrade later.

When I last checked the price difference at the 1TB and 500GB capacity for PCIe 3.0 vs PCIe 4.0 was pretty small.

Corsair MP600 1TB Gen 4 is $194 USD

Samsung 9700 1TB Evo Plus is $189 USD

So you are saving $5

When I last checked the price difference at the 1TB and 500GB capacity for PCIe 3.0 vs PCIe 4.0 was pretty small.

Corsair MP600 1TB Gen 4 is $194 USD

Samsung 9700 1TB Evo Plus is $189 USD

So you are saving $5

Check again...you can get 1TB for the price of a 500GB pcie 4. Seems like you are picking based on your arguement.

Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe $104

Check again...you can get 1TB for the price of a 500GB pcie 4. Seems like you are picking based on your arguement.

What do I need to check again my pricing is from amazon.com

Samsung

Corsair

What do I need to check again my pricing is from amazon.com

Samsung

Corsair

Now check other brands starting at $95 for 1TB. Try Newegg.

Back