RAM: Is it running at 2133 or 1600mhz? (Contradictory readings)

awac1991

Hello everyone!

I recently mounted this new PC (just listing the relevant parts) :

- AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core
- MSI Gaming 970 Motherboard (http://thepcenthusiast.com/msi-970-gaming-am3-motherboard-unleashed/)
- G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 PC3-17000 8GB CL9 (2x modules of 4GB, Dual channel in slots 1 and 3)
- Win 8.1 - 64bit

My motherboard specs states that I should be able to enjoy 2133mhz memory just IF I overclock, and up to 1866mhz without it: "Supports DDR3 2133(OC)/ 1866/ 1600/ 1333/ 1066 MHz". Nevertheless, I'm getting contradictory readings from different programs so I don't really know at which memory speed I am currently running:

I went to the BIOS to stablish the 2133mhz via overclok settings. MSI Command center is telling me I'm running at 1600 (800Mhz x2 modules) but the total DRAM frequency frequency reader states "4267,0 Mhz" which is 2133 x 2 modules...

comand center 1.jpg

I've tried with OC Genie II both enabled an disabled from the BIOS (OC Genie is the smart overcloking software from MSI: Enables a slight and conservative overclock). I have it enabled just in case, but I don't believe it is necesarry in order to allow single manual overclocks from the BIOS like memory frequency. I'm not looking for CPU overclock right now, just to enable 2133mhz of memory.

On the other hand, CPU-Z states DRAM frequency at 1066.6Mhz but NB Frequency at 2199 Mhz...

cpuz1.jpg

So, I'm a little bit confused... How many Mhz I'm currently Running?

I am not supposed to have at least 1866mhz readings without overcloking even? (taking in account that my motherboard "Supports DDR3 2133(OC)/ 1866/ 1600/ 1333/ 1066 MHz"). Maybe I'm reading something wrong or maybe I'm not using the right tools for reading it... All suggestions and ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Did you just put in the RAM and be done with it or did you go into the BIOS and set the frequencies to the advertised amount? Motherboard default the RAM to 1333MHz.

Try downloading Speccy, see what that says. If you set BIOS to run RAM at 2133MHz, then it should be running at that. I've never had any luck getting precise readings for RAM in software either - maybe it down-clocks when not fully used ...

Try the BIOS first and see if that does it, if not there are alternatives to a direct OC of the CPU

Except, bluejolls, no one is talking about overclocking the CPU. This thread is about RAM.

It's Solved! Someone answered this in onither forum :)

"You are at 2133, CPU-Z shows the true freq of the DRAM (here at 1066), since this is DDR (DOUBLE data rate) you take true freq (1066) x 2 = effective (2133) so you are fine
smile.gif
"

So, yeah, he's right! Thank you all very much for the help guys!

Back