RAM Upgrade on Dell Dimension DIM3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have four Dell Dimenson 3000 desktops with only 256mb RAM. I want to increase RAM with at least 1GB RAM each.

I purchased four-1GB sticks of "CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWINX2048-3200C2PT" and now I understand that this stick is NON-COMPATIBLE with my computer.

I performed a 'memory search' on Cosair's website and it only came up with one 1GB stick that IS compatible: VS1GB333, DDR-333 (PC-2700). BUT, an examination of the RAM in the computer already reveals it is a 256MB of DDR-400, PC-3200U.

Question: Why does a stick of DDR-400, PC3200C2PT NOT work and why does Cosair's site suggesting a stick of DDR-333, PC2700??

Question: What RAM SHOULD I get to upgrade my four desktops from thier existing measly 256MB RAM existences??

Have you actually tried using the four modules you've purchased? They might work just fine, even if they're not on the QVL or something.

To answer your questions:

They test a set number of modules with an individual system and then market those as making the Quality Vendor List or "QVL". The RAM on that list is basically 100% guaranteed to work with your motherboard, however, that does not mean other RAM won't work.

Try your newly purchased modules if you haven't...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back