Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi dont know if this is right place to post this .so i appologise in advance just in case .. ok my problem is i put 4 gigs of ddr2 in my pc( running windows vista 32 home premium) bios sees it but when i start up pc i cant get any further than second start up page . ie where it says boot from cd rom . hard drive floppy . it just freezes there .. can you possibly tell me how i can fix this . thank you... oh im not very tech minded . sticking ram in and putting in a new hard drive is usually my limit

the problem im having is pc wont boot up with 4 gig mem . or 3 gigs .. it hangs at booting stage .. can put 2 gigs in and not a prob .i would nt mind if i could get as far as vista not seeing the full 4 gigs .. its just getting their is the prob

is there an option in the BIS for using above 4G? and do you have an OS selection and a hardware selection? If the hardware is on, deselect it. Do the same for OS and put all 4 back in, see what happens?

thank you for the advice but cant see anything that gives me options for OS or hardware selection . or anything that gave me option of using above 4g in BIOS ( hopefully you meant in bios ) if not i appologise ..only option i get is enabeling OS2 if using higher than 64 megs .im not tech savay . as i said shoving in a hard drive or putting in memory is my lot .. (usually i dont have a prob with that ) im getting a funny feeling i may need to call someone in ..

have a look around your BIOS and find the advanced tab. Basically you are looking for CPU configuration. If you can find something like this look for DRAM configuration or similar. You are looking for 'remapping'. S/W (software) DRAM over 4G remapping and H/W (hardware) DRAM over 4g remapping. If you dont have these options exactly- look for something similar. I think you need to disable them if they are present. Otherwise did it boot when you had less memory in and then fail when you put the 4g in? did you upgrade and keep the old memory in? if so is the new memory EXACTLY the same? Do all your sticks of RAM have the same timings? More info on the history would help.

oh and are you sure your motherboard is compatible with 4g of RAM? What does the manual say about max RAM?

i bought pc at pc world and only manual i got was for using pre installed vista the memory i had in was 2 sticks of pny 1gb ddr2 dimm 240 pins higher MHz but compatible with my pc4300 533MHz .. the 4gb i bought to replace is 2 sticks of 2gb pc 6400 ddr2 800MHZ 240 pins compatible with pc 5300 667 MHz andpc4300 533 MHz comuter is a e systems .. (on a very tight budget . wife .kids .. bills etc hehe ) but assistant sai i would nt have trouble upgrading to 4gb in future. motherboard is a foxconn with 2 memory ports .processor is pentium 4.... i checked bios and only thing i could see about cpu is clock speed and so on . i must be missing something . i thank you for the help you are giving .just wish my brain could understand it more hehe.

you're saying pc6400 is compatible where there was pc5300 etc. but not always. You are naming different speeds of memory. The 4Gb may not be a problem but speed could be. You need to open up the case and look for the motherboard number-should be near the Foxconn trade name. then download the maual from the Foxconn web site. You may well have bought memory that is too fast for your motherboard. The only way to know and to begin to sort your problem is to start with the manual. Information is king!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back