Random BSOD 0xF4

koen3950

Hi all,

I recently reinstalled windows 7 (after a full format) on my laptop (which was working fine but getting a bit bloated). Ever since I keep getting random freezes/BSODs. I have no clue what is causing it since sometimes it BSODs immediately after system startup, sometimes when installing windows updates, sometimes after being idle for an hour, ...

What did I do already:
- opened it up, checked all cables and removed dust
- ran memtest (ok)
- reinstalled windows AGAIN
- updated all drivers from asus site, installed all windows updates
- ran verifier (it always causes a bsod immediately after system startup, no matter what drivers I select) but to be honest, I have no idea how to use it
- ran sfc /scannow succesfully (no problems found)

Maybe most difficult thing is I almost NEVER get a (mini-)dump file after such a BSOD. Up untill now (after like 100 bsods) I only have 2 minidumps, which I attached. I looked into them but understanding is beyond my capabilities ...

Does anyone have any idea?
much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Koen

Attachments

• minidumps.zip
    61.7 KB · Views: 32
Can you make sure you obtained the copy of windows 7 from a reliable source? Make sure the ISO that install windows is not corrupted, my experience with random BSOD, tells me that the installation is probably corrupted.

Also make sure you have all drivers installed with the most up to date version.

I got it from my NAS, its the same ISO I have been using for years (it's a legal copy, I install it from an USB stick)

I installed the drivers I found on the asus website (the model is: M51VA). They are for windows vista but last time (right after windows 7 came out) I did the same on this same laptop and that install has always worked correctly.

I did a quick search of your issue on google and maybe it´s something related to your hard drive.... have you run disk check ? also can you check if all your hardware connections are properly made? maybe you dropped your laptop and it damaged or disconnected something...

Oops sorry, I didnt include disk check in my list. Yes I ran that succesfully. I also removed the harddisk physically to make sure the connections were OK.
But all in all I have a feeling it is a driver conflict: It can stay on for like an hour and suddenly BSOD. And sometimes it BSODs twice in 10 minutes. It's really random.
But what makes me suspect drivers is that when I run verifier, I'm never able to enter windows because it BSODs even before the desktop is shown.

I was just hoping there is a way to find out which driver is faulty/in conflict

Hmmmm.... you can try to uninstall the drivers one by one and each time you run the verifies thingy and until it doesn`t crash, even though it will take time, maybe it´s your best hope since you say it´s driver related.I personally never tried verifier but I will now. Good luck.

Yeah I suppose I have no other option ... :( It will be a massive job. Maybe someone will be able to interpret the minidumps I attached and find something usefull there? ;-)

SECDRV.sys is noted in the minidumps. "This device driver is part of Macrovision's SafeDisc copy protection scheme. SafeDisc is designed to prevent the piracy of PC games"... It is also know to cause problems like you are having. Are you running "pirated" games?

No, this is a fresh install. Only things I did (after formatting and reinstalling win7) is instelling the asus drivers and getting all updates through Windows update...
So no other software (except recentely ms office, after those minidumps were generated)...

So if you get any new BSOD's... post the minidumps as Blue Screens automatically generate the minidumps

I will IF I get any minidumps... As said earlier I have easily had 100+ bsods in the last few weeks, but only 2 of them generated a minidump.... (Errorcode was 0xf4 all the time)

I ran seatools yesterday in DOS mode and it found no errors, just as chdisk didn't. Which clues did it give you that it may be failing? Just to avoid I run to the store buying a new disk and the problem is still there ;-)

Thanks for looking into it!

Attachments

• IMG_0696.JPG
    IMG_0696.JPG
    686.7 KB · Views: 2
The drive looks okay. The full kernal dump shows only Critical_Object_Termination. have you checked your memory using Memtest86 v5.01? Run it for a minimum of 7 passes

I ran memtest voor 21 hours 2 days ago, looks fine (screenshot attached).
What could be another cause of this Critical_Object_Termination?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0694.JPG
    IMG_0694.JPG
    606.9 KB · Views: 4
There is nothing at all listed in the kernal dump where the problem drivers are supposed to be. What is the make and model of the laptop and how old is it?

Its an asus m51va, about 7 years old.
Worked perfectly until I formatted it because there was way too much junk on the hdd. Problems started right after the reinstall of win7...

Did you install all the Windows updates after the re-install? Did it originally have XP installed? How much memory is installed?

This is a 7-y.o. computer which happened to have random BSOD after reinstallation of windows 7.
try to post temperatures of cpu, gpu using any any of these free programs: speedfan, hwinfo, hardware monitor from cpuid.
maybe it is overheating (dust accumulation? thermal paste needs re-application?)

driver issue causing BSOD can be resolved by logging into safe mode and uninstalling the driver, or doing system restore prior to date of BSOD.

To solve this problem you need to use logic. plus the order you install things also can cause an issue if you install drivers before updates or updates before drivers. can cause issues.. the fact that you are using vista drivers on windows 7 scares me. Be creative and find out what hardware you are missing then go look at the actual manufactures site for a 7 driver not ASUS's drivers page...
A few things to check first
IS there anything showing up in the event viewer?
did you boot into safe mode with networking.. run the computer through it's paces does it still have issues?
If yes.. fresh install and ONLY add the network driver.. period.. not even windows updates.. run the computer through it's paces... is the problem still present?
If not install the windows updates.. do not grab the optional updates.. run the computer through it's paces.. still have a problem?
Install windows updates that are optional including any hardware related updates.. run the computer through it's paces.. is there still a problem?
Install graphics driver only

Also when dealing with this type of problem.. it's best not to make a whole bunch of changes at once.. EG install one driver at a time and test it in between to see if the issues is present after each change to the system.
The most important thing is to stop thinking about " It used to work before" there are so many variables that it is no longer relevant.. asus could have updated a driver on their site since the last time you did a fresh install. as a rule of thumb never try to shoe horn a driver from a different operating system into a system it was not meant to be in.
You can also download a more recent copy of windows 7 with the service pack already installed in it.
If all else fails.. download an eval copy of windows 8 and install it.. (8 runs fantastic on older hardware) if for nothing else to see if the issue is still present.

Windows 7 sp1 media refresh direct links from digital river (Microsoft)
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/th...1-and-SP1-Media-Refresh-Direct-Download-Links

Just an update:
Reinstalled Windows with the iso in the url you provided.
Installed drivers 1 by 1, found 1 that caused bsods (a ricoh sd cardreader driver). Restored system and installed an older (Vista) version of the driver and all is fine now. I'm running verifier now together with a system stresser (aida64), looks good until now.

Am gonna start installing Windows updates later, fingers crossed :)

Grts

Back