Random BSODs lately

schwann2010

I've been having random BSOD's lately. They are completely random and am not sure. This is the first time I saw a Memory Management issue, so I'm not quite sure. Here are my dumps. I have run memtest86+ on my memory for a whole night and saw nothing. Ran it for each stick as well for 2 hours each. I recently upgraded my components and never had BSOD's before. Updates include an i3, 8gigs DDR3-1600 RAM, 1156 ASUS Mobo, and a Crucial C300 64GB SSD. And I am also on Windows 7 64bit Ultimate. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Also, someone suggestsed me update my ASCAPI.sys from 2005 version and update my video drivers after clearing everything after the first 3 minidumps, but I got another BSOD which is the 4th minidump. I have also run memtest86+ and chckdsk and no errors.

My PC components are:
Asus P55D-E LX
i3-540
eVGA GeForce GT240
Crucial C300 64GB
WD Green 500GB
WD Blue 640GB
G.Skillz Ripjaws DDR3-1600 8GB (4x2)

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    109.2 KB · Views: 1
The most significant error is 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and is described as "A fatal hardware error has occurred."

This error code and definition has replaced the older XP code 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and though it is older the definition still is applicable: This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Honestly, this is a very difficult error to work with because as it says a clear diagnosis rarely comes forth and I have never seen a minidump with either error codes give a definitive answer. I know IT techs that don't like working with it. What makes it so difficult is that it can be any hardware in your system -- and I mean any. Your dump simply cited hardware as the issue and nothing more definitive.

Here are some of the causes that were determined to be the source of 0x124/0x9C errors from posters here and abroad: NIC, DVD/CD drives, dust build up around the CPU that caused overheating of said CPU, bulging capacitors hidden by heatsink, video card, psu, motherboard, and external harddrive connected by USB.

However, this being an Asus board (their boards are quite well known for being picky about RAM) and you updating to 8 gigs do the following:

1.Find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match? If not set the memory to its designed voltage specs in the BIOS.

2. Try running with just 6 gigs and then four. Does stability return?

You had an 0x3B error. This is the second one you've had. They are often caused by faulty video drivers. I suggest doing the following...

1. Download Driver Sweeper free version to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

You had an 0x3B error. This is the second one you've had. They are often caused by faulty video drivers. I suggest doing the following...

1. Download Driver Sweeper free version to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

The thing is, I've already done those steps. Maybe I'll do it again. Someone else on another forum suggested that and I did it as well. Anything else I can consider? Could it be a bad video card in general?

Yes, it could be your video card is bad. Try this: Physically uninstall your card and reseat it. Make sure all cables are securely connected.

Just got a new BSOD that may be helpful for you guys to help me. It said NDIS.sys BSOD.

Attachments

• 042711-7924-01.zip
    31.6 KB · Views: 2
Your error is 0x0000001E: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
The Windows kernel detected an illegal or unknown processor instruction. A Stop 0x1E condition can be caused by invalid memory and access violations similar to those that generate Stop 0xA errors.

0xA errors are caused by either faulty hardware or a driver attempting to address a higher IRQ Level than it is designed to do resulting in system crashes.

Nothing definitive was cited except a Windows OS driver and they are usually too general to be of much diagnostic help.

Back