Random BSODs

Status
Not open for further replies.

owenb

From since I first built the pc, I've been having random blue screens, sometimes once a day and sometimes even 20. They really make me mad.
I already posted something on this forum some months ago about this problem. They analysed my dump files, and told me that the problem was coming from the usb modem drivers. I updated all my hardware drivers to the latest stable drivers, to no avail.

The only solution I found to this problem was to use only 1 module of ram. It runs perferctly. If I use the 2 modules, then problems will strat again. I thought I found that the problem was from the ram, but when testing the with memtest, I found that both modules passed the test for about 10-15 passes. I even tested them on both the slots I use when they are attached both.

I think that the problem is still coming from the motherboard as I tested the other hardware. I did a stability test to my graphic card, and it passed. I changed the hard drive and I still had blue screens when using 2 rams. I also updated the bios drivers and formatted the pc every once in a while.

Is there any problems that can identify problems coming from the motherboard. The asus support disappointed me. I couldn't even send an email. I have to call them, and since i'm from outside uk, i will be charged internationally, and it will take me ages to explain all this to them. I thought someone might have an idea, because I really don't know what else to do.

" 4 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR2 1066/800/667 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory"... This is the motherboards memory spec

Are the 2 memory modules both the same type and speed? Are you following the proper installation procedure. If the 4 slots on the motherboard are labeled 0, 1, 2, 3, Slot 0 and slot 2, slot 1 and 3 are occupied

make sure that your motherboard supports the RAM. here are some examples:

if your motherboard supports 4GB of RAM, and you have a total of more than that, use less RAM.
if your motherboard uses DDR2 RAM, and you're using DDR3 RAM, replace it with DDR2.
if your motherboard supports RAM up to 1066Mhz, and you're using 1333Mhz, replace it with up to 1066Mhz.
make sure you have them in the right installation procedure, as mentioned above.

Note: Please attach the minidumps.

I have 2 corsair dominator modules. 1066mhz each. and i place them on the right slots. i tried both combinations, but it still gives me blue screens.

I would say you are limited to 4 modules at 2GB each. So your 2 Corsair modules are 2GB each, right? Totalling 4GB. You might have to play with the memory timings or voltages in the bios

no. my modules are 1gb each. totalling 2gb. timings are 5-5-5-15, according to what's written on them. and the voltage is 2.11V , whereas it is said to be 2.10v but because of the bios, I cannot set them exactly.

I updated the bios once or twice, but nothing changed. How to reset bios? is it the same as updating it?

no it is not the same as updating it. you have to move a jumper on the motherboard.
don't ask which one, reffer to your mobo GUI
P.S. maybe there is an option in the bios itself

what's with the OS?? The settings I change in the bios are the memory voltage to 2.10v, the memory timings (5-5-5-15) and memory clock from t to 2t. is there anything else?

set the primary graphic adapter and the VRAM.
disable somthing which has to do with OS/2
i will give you a full list tommorrow

set the primary graphic adapter and the VRAM.
disable somthing which has to do with OS/2

also make sure the boot devices are in order(1-hard disk 2-cd-rom drive 3-floppy drive 4-other device)
the time and date on your computer(important!)
and finally, look through the bios to see if there is anything else you know you should set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back