Rate my build - focus on gaming usage and value picks

So, below I've tried to piece together a build that first and foremost is supposed to be good for gaming - with an emphasis on value throughout. Which perhaps also means that it will be decent in the realm of video editing/streaming - not an expert on these things. Wondering how you guys rate this build? Not 100% on the GPU, but reading about the subject, the RTX 3070 seems to be great value. Choosing a RTX 3070 in the 750$-range for example takes the build to a total cost in the range of 1900$ (which can be viewed as +/- the budget that I'm operating with).

PC case: Phanteks Eclipse P600S
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z490 Tomahawk
CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D15
GPU: RTX 3070
SSD: WD Black SN750 1TB M.2 SSD
HDD: Seagate IronWolf 4TB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB

Last edited:
The GTX 3070 is a superb graphics card, but good luck finding one - supply isn't good at all (for example, Newegg is out of stock for every 3070 model they're selling). I would also advised spending a little more on the CPU and going with the AMD Ryzen 5 5600X but they're out of stock too.

Much depends on how long you're willing to wait for the build - if it's a matter of weeks, then you'll need to consider a different graphics card, but if you're willing to wait until, say, February then you should have more options to choose from (hopefully).

The RTX 3070 alone is the icing on the cake. Absolutely best value and beats the previous king of the hill yet obscenely expensive 2080Ti.

But don't pay anything above the MSRP. If so, then there is no value anymore.

Thanks for the answers!

Changed things up a bit, considering following CPU and GPU:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti GAMING X TRIO 8GB

Which I guess is the most relevant parts regarding choice of power supply (?), where I'm currently looking at corsair RM650 or 750. Question is - which one do I go for?

A 650W PSU will be more than enough - if you can actually get yours hands on a Ryzen 5 5600X and a GeForce RTX 3060 Ti, combined they'll require no more than 350 to 380W (even under heavy usage). Corsair RM650 PSUs are perfectly okay: nothing amazing about them, but they do the job well enough.

The GTX 3070 is a superb graphics card, but good luck finding one - supply isn't good at all (for example, Newegg is out of stock for every 3070 model they're selling).
Oh, the situation at Newegg is much worse than that.

The 3xxx series was already sold out on the day I received the email touting their "release".

But right this very moment, they have no Nvidia cards in stock at all, past a GT-1030 and below.

Newegg is to be commended for not embracing scalping as their business model. That said, god knows how long anyone might have to wait for one, at or near, MSRP

@Heybird I'm curious about your seeming fascination with MSI's product, particularly their mobos.

I've always built with Gigabyte's boards, while thinking of MSI as a 2nd tier product.

Whether that's changed, or I'm a victim of ad hype, I honestly don't know.

Not really a fascination, just looking at recommended products on this site and others and going by that.

I have looked at the Gigabyte Gaming OC for the GPU as well, but with the stock situation being as it is, the cards that will be available sooner becomes more relevant for consideration - which really is the main cause for listing the MSI here, as well as it having favourable reviews.

The price for the 3060-cards being so much higher than the MSRP is surely a huge negative, but it reaches a point where the you either buy or wait it out for lower prices, and I can't see that happening for many months.

Factoring into the decision of going for the 3060, despite it having an inflated price, is also that I can't seem to identify any real alternatives. The 1660 super or the 2060 for instance seems like such a backwards step performance wise, that it is not really worth it when trying to opt for a current gen rig that will hold up well for the next couple of years.

Regarding ram, I've also looked at the Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 C16 DC as an alternative to the Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3600. Slightly favouring the Ballistix at the moment. Any thoughts on this? Or other alternatives that are better in the same price range?

So, below I've tried to piece together a build that first and foremost is supposed to be good for gaming - with an emphasis on value throughout. Which perhaps also means that it will be decent in the realm of video editing/streaming - not an expert on these things. Wondering how you guys rate this build? Not 100% on the GPU, but reading about the subject, the RTX 3070 seems to be great value. Choosing a RTX 3070 in the 750$-range for example takes the build to a total cost in the range of 1900$ (which can be viewed as +/- the budget that I'm operating with).

1900$... total cost... only the card will cost you that. You are being very optimistic.

@Heybird I'm curious about your seeming fascination with MSI's product, particularly their mobos.

I've always built with Gigabyte's boards, while thinking of MSI as a 2nd tier product.

Whether that's changed, or I'm a victim of ad hype, I honestly don't know.
Gigabyte mobos are the best, in my experience.

Not a fan of MSI for their customer service when I got a bad motherboard. They sent me a refurbished motherboard that had the same issue.

The first motherboard wouldn't boot due to a memory issue and it also ruined any RAM modules placed in to the slot closest to the CPU. MSI told me getting the two kits of RAM replaced was all on me since they didn't make the RAM and they are responsible for fixing non-MSI products.

The replacement motherboard would boot and would let me install windows, but would then lock up on the first boot after windows was installed. Thinking the CPU might be the problem I swapped CPU's only to have the same issues. So I thought maybe it's the replacement motherboard so I moved all the components over to a new motherboard and it would sometimes boot into windows, but it was very unstable, but when I swapped RAM it worked fine. I moved everything back to the MSI motherboard with the new RAM that worked on the other motherboard thinking maybe it was just the RAM,but the original symptoms returned. Two more kits of RAM ruined.

I lost four kits of RAM due to MSI motherboards ruining them. MSI refused to look into the issue and only offered another refurbished motherboard that could ruin any RAM installed in them that MSI would refuse to replace.

I've lost too much money to buy another motherboard from MSI. I'll never buy another MSI product. If there is a choice between an MSI component at MSRP or no component at all I still wouldn't buy MSI.

Thanks for the answers!

Changed things up a bit, considering following CPU and GPU:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti GAMING X TRIO 8GB

Which I guess is the most relevant parts regarding choice of power supply (?), where I'm currently looking at corsair RM650 or 750. Question is - which one do I go for?
Get the 750 it's not that much more expensive. I prefer to use power supplies with enough capacity to be under stressed all the time. I normally get power supplies with at least twice the capacity I think I will need. Once components are available again and the next generation comes out you might need all the power you can get, too.

Back