Rating registration raises rumors of Red Dead Redemption remaster

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: Red Dead Redemption 2 was so good that many fans virtually forgot about the first game in the series (not counting 2004's Red Dead Revolver). Red Dead Redemption launched in 2010, but only for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. So PC players never even got to enjoy the original Western first-person shooter, which by all rights, is also an excellent game with a compelling narrative.

A modder tried to create a Red Dead Redemption port for PC, but got sued and pulled the plug. Fortunately, the master race might get a chance to play the classic Rockstar open-world hoss opera. It looks like Take-Two Interactive is at least considering publishing a remake or remaster after 13 years. Gaming news outlet Gematsu noticed Rockstar's parent company recently submitted a game to South Korea's Game Rating and Administration Committee (GRAC) under the name Red Dead Redemption.

The name does not carry a subtitle or enumeration like Red Dead Redemption: Wayward Son or Red Dead Redemption 3. So it doesn't appear to be a sequel, but it could be a remake. The entry is undoubtedly not for the original games since RDR and RDR2 still have separate listings with the GRAC. Additionally, Take-Two submitted the new rating request on June 15, 2023, with the committee applying Korea's version of an M rating on June 27.

Its classification number (CC-NV-230615-001) contains the NV designation indicating that the submission was for a console game. A PC registration starts with "CC-NP." However, the lack of a PC-specific listing does not preclude the variant's existence. Often studios request ratings using the version closest to being finished. Other platforms could be turned in later or not at all in some cases. Furthermore, since Rockstar developed RDR2 for consoles and PC, it makes more sense that it would do the same for an RDR remaster.

Of course, the GRAC listing is far from official confirmation and, as such, should be taken with a grain of salt. However, the Korean regulator has a history of leaking unannounced games. The GRAC website listed The Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 remaster and 2K's Lego Football before either were revealed.

Although there is no clear indication of when a Red Dead Redemption remake will release, IGN points out that God of War: Ragnarok and Marvel's Midnight Suns were spotted on the GRAC website about six months before their relative launch dates. So if RDR is in the works, it could be coming soon. It might not be within six months, but we would likely get an official reveal within that time.

Permalink to story.

Folks seemed to really like this game....I found it slow, sluggish and dull. I tried putting time into it, but after about 10 hours I was bored. It felt like a cheap, crappy copy of GTA 3, but with horses. I couldn't find the entertainment in it that others did. I gave my copy on my PS3 to my younger brother - he though it was okay, but he was more into the cowboy type games, like Call of Juarez, which is why he probably liked it enough to play through it.

Folks seemed to really like this game....I found it slow, sluggish and dull. I tried putting time into it, but after about 10 hours I was bored. It felt like a cheap, crappy copy of GTA 3, but with horses. I couldn't find the entertainment in it that others did. I gave my copy on my PS3 to my younger brother - he though it was okay, but he was more into the cowboy type games, like Call of Juarez, which is why he probably liked it enough to play through it.
Yeah being a fan of Westerns helps a lot. I hated them when I was a kid forced to watch them with my dad. I have since grown to love them. I thoroughly enjoyed RDR and RDR2. In fact, RDR was the catalyst for me finally upgrading to a 1080p TV ( I played it on PS3) after playing it at my cousin's house.

RDR2 never have interested me that much. When it released on consoles I throughoutly explored how the game is on the internet, but it just seems too slow for my taste given the length of the game. The first one seems more like a Rockstar game with it's humourous style and "gansta vibe". I don't think the huge world of RDR2 is truly a benefit and it's a bit serious in tone and I don't really dig the protagonist that much, but the game has been discussed to death already so I won't delve any further. I certainly hope we at least get a PC port of the first one with updated textures, but I certainly wish for more enhancements.

Will it be handled by grove street games?

gaming seems to have a big monkey paw issue, like sure we get stuff we want but it always comes out f**ked up in some way.
This was my first thought, just how bad a remaster can they make this time...

Is RD2 a sequel to RD or a standalone. I would like to play RD before RD2 if this comes to PC, but how many years. 6-12 months is fine as I have plenty of other games to play.

Is RD2 a sequel to RD or a standalone. I would like to play RD before RD2 if this comes to PC, but how many years. 6-12 months is fine as I have plenty of other games to play.
RDR2 is a prequel to RDR. Redemption 2 is set in 1899, with the epilogue set in 1907. The original Red Dead Redemption occurred in 1911, with an epilogue in 1914. So if you wanted to play them in the game's chronological order, you'd play RDR2, then RDR.

RDR2 is a prequel to RDR. Redemption 2 is set in 1899, with the epilogue set in 1907. The original Red Dead Redemption occurred in 1911, with an epilogue in 1914. So if you wanted to play them in the game's chronological order, you'd play RDR2, then RDR.
Thanks for the heads up as I did not know that. So might as well play RD2.

Back