Razer will honor erroneous 90 percent off coupon code

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Razer co-founder and CEO Min-Liang Tan recently announced plans to honor an unauthorized 90 percent off coupon code that went viral a few days ago. He noted that Razer had the option of legally cancelling the orders but they decided to put the customer first and fulfill orders from fans buying single products for their own use.

The executive said in a post on Facebook that the coupon code was generated by a third party to test their shopping cart system and inadvertently left in the system. The UK Razerzone store had to be shut down for a bit until they figured out what was going on.

razer

Despite the fact that products are being sold well below cost, Razer wanted to do right by the community. As such, all orders for a single product will be honored. Those who ordered multiple quantities of the same product will still be given the option to purchase a single product at the 90 percent discount price but subsequent quantities won’t be honored.

The focus here is to do the right thing for fans, gamers and the community, not for resellers or those looking to make a quick profit. Tan said that isn’t gaming and that isn’t their deal. He further pointed out that it will take a few weeks and in certain cases up to a month to process and ship the discounted orders because a lot of stuff was already on backorder.

Permalink to story.

I for one would feel guilty for taking advantage of such a huge accident. While I might still expect a discount, I would not find minimizing the discount dishonorable.

Razer is a growing company with great devices. My Deathadder and Blackwidow Ultimate are going on year 3 and I have never had a single problem. Although, I take very good care of my hardware.

By the time I found out everything was out of stock anyway... But well done to Razer on doing the right thing, offering the 90% off one of each product was a great solution.

How do some of you feel they did the right thing and honor it? If I went ahead and offered YOUR house, your service, your anything for 90% off and people ordered it, would it be the right thing for you to do to honor it? No way, it was a third partys fault. I wouldn't have.

I think I know from which company will I buy my first gaming mouse, even without the discount :)

I had a bad customer experience with Razer a couple of years ago. I still won't touch any of their stuff no matter how good the product or how good they try to spin their customer relations today. Bottom line is I don't NEED their products even if I wanted them.

You will never find a company where there has not been at least one bad customer experience, if that's your criteria for a good company (completely unrealistic BTW). A good company will try to reduce these experiences, as Razer is trying to do.

Back