Real freebie something to convert audio file formats

vhawk

can anyone please help me by recommending a freebie that will convert a cda file, a track off a cd in to the format that windows media player can use. i tried to send a bit of classical music from a cd to a friend but it's a something called a cda which she can't play.

it has to some thing that a blockhead like me can use.

CDex is pretty good, or at least it used to be, I haven't used it in many years. A .cda file though should be just the same as a .wav, so if you had anything that could convert to wma or mp3 it should work.

If you have the actual CD though, Windows Media Player will happily convert it to wma or mp3 for you.

thank you very much for your kind help, yes i do have the cd what do i do to turn a track into an mp3 using widows player? as you see i'm a total dolt about these things

Open up media player and insert the cd, it should just ask at that point. You may want to check (inside media player) Tools -> Options -> Rip music, in the Rip Settings box you can change it from Windows Media Audio to mp3, then adjust the quality to what you want.

thank you very much, this may seem stupid but how do i know that the track has been turned into an mp3?

thank you very much, it is so kind of you to help me.i think i've got it figured out now.

i'm very struck by how people who understand these things are so kind as to help those that don't.

it restores my faith in humanity.

You are welcome. I would have posted exactly how to do it rather than posting a link, but I was on a Mac laptop at the time and didn't have easy access to a Windows machine. Figured the link might be able to say it better than I could anyway.

thanks, not to worry, i think i've got my head round it now.
none of these things are intuitive for a brain damaged old lawyer

Back