Realtek On board sound card - not in the BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertLionheart

The realtek on board sound card on an Asus P5n board has stopped working.
There is no longer an option in BIOS to enable/disable it.
It shows as a PCI device in XP
None of the downloadable driver sets work.
I have reset the BIOS

Any ideas anyone?

There isn't a P5N mobo - do you have the -D variant?

Where specifically in Bios did you look?

Sorry - mine is a P5N-T DL
This one is a P5KPL-VM rev 0904.
The only BIOS settings for the sound card are under the southbridge settings and there is no enable option for the card at all which is wrong. There should be an option for it under the on-board devices section.
ASUS FAQ on the subject says upgrade the BIOS which I have done.

LoL - which one specifcally has the problem - we now have P5N, P5N-T DL
and P5KPL-VM rev 0904 in the works!

:)

And at this point, would suggest it best to go to the ASUS site and compare the board specs/layout match what you have so to visually confirm. (And while you;'re there already see 1) what the manual says about what BIOS settings should be there... And even what BIOS versions are available vs. what are you running?

I know what I've got because I sold it, I have the manuals and I can actually see it. My fault for the reference to the P5N - result of doing too many things at once.
It is a P5KPL- VM. And I hate it.

A variety of variables are at play and more specifics would help
=> Info on Contoller device ID, and specifc BIOS and driver versions on your machine are helpful

You can generate much of this info by Start->Run, entering dxdiag and when done (progress in lower left corner) hit the Save Information button and attach the file back here

/*************** EDIT ********************/
Have you also confirmed Device Manager is not listing any unknown devices?>

I have just about given up with this thing and will get round it with a cheap sound card!
With the azalia device disabled in the BIOS there are no devices listed in device manager that do not have drivers installed for them.
If I enable it in the BIOS it shows both the front panel options and in device manager there is a PCI device without a driver. There are no other sound or audio devices listed at all.
I have spent some time looking for a sound card driver for azalia but found loads of references to it but no drivers. Any urls for this welcome. I am beginning to wonder if this azalia thing is some sort of standard.
The only drivers for this board on the Asus site are for a realtek device.

It may be an excersize to no-where but still interested in looking at your problem if only for curiosity. If yoiu would
1. Start->Run, msinfo32. Expand Components, click Problem Devices. Anything there? If so, copy paste into an attachment

2. Start->Run, dxdiag (as i mentioned in earlier post) and attach output

3. I need collect some detailed info on your current hardware and drivers. I forget if you have a 32 or 64 bit machine. If a 64-bit machine two small tweaks to my instructions.
a. You want to use devcon\ia64\ folder. Check there for the executable.
b. In devcmd.txt file change the references from i386 folder to ia64 folder

• Click to download and run devcon.exe. It prompts to extract some files. Indicate folder C:\devcon. Verify it creates C:\devcon\i386\devcon.exe
  • Save my attachment devcmd.txt to your Desktop
  • Change its filename to devcmd.bat and double click to Run it
  • It creates a file devcon.txt on your Desktop. Please attach it in your next post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back