Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I know this topic has already been covered a while ago on here and I read it from beginning to end and tried everything and it did not fix my issues. So my computer got hit by lighting through the phone line. I have replaced the power supply and the motherboard and cpu which came as a unit. And when I boot up it finds my HDD and both my Cd-Roms but then I get "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device." I ran Knoppix and looked at the hard drive and everything is still on there. So I am guessing the problem is in the Bios but I have no idea where to go from here.

Here is what I have going:
Elitegroup Goal3+ Motherboard
AMD Athlon Sempron
Master Drive - Hitachi 2500GB HDD
CD Drive 1 - Pioneer DVD-R/RW
CD Drive 2 - Samsung CD-R/RW SW
Generic Floppy Drive 3.5"
1024MB Kingston DDR Ram

Thanks in advance for any help!

When you say you "tried everything," what did you try? Give us a clue regarding your prior efforts so we don't waste time suggesting the same old thing again.

Sure thing, sorry. I have looked through the bios to see if the boot order was right and it was. Then I checked to see if it was plugged in the right IDE port and it was. I unplugged both cd-rom drives and the floppy and tried booting that way. I checked to make sure the jumper was on master and also on cable select. Neither of which worked. I guess thats about it.

It appears you are re-using your old hard drive with the new motherboard. You will likely have to perform a Windows repair or a whole new Windows install.

mailpup said:
It appears you are re-using your old hard drive with the new motherboard. You will likely have to perform a Windows repair or a whole new Windows install.
Ok so you can not just plug in the old hard drive to the new motherboard? And if so I do not have the a Windows xp disk because it came on the computer all ready. All I have is the restore disk that came with the original hard drive and motherboard. (both have been replaced) So how do I get a Windows repair if I do not have an xp disk?

I just thought about. Also if I do a windows repair will it delete evrything thats not part of the Os because thats what I'm trying to avoid!

A Windows repair is not the same as a Windows reinstall. A Windows repair should not destroy your non-Windows data but you should back up the data just in case. In your case that won't be easy unless you use another PC to retrieve any data from the hard drive. If you are trying to save programs, they should be unaffected but it's possible you might have to reinstall them.

See this guide for more information about using the recovery CD:Click here.

If the repair does not work as you intend, you will have to do a full reinstall.

OK so I tried to run the restore and it was telling me that the hard drive was corrupt and could not be repaired. Sounded to me like a good time to but my first SATA drive so I will put the old one as a slave and start new. Thank you so much for your help.

Okay. But keep in mind that with SATA drives there is no master and slave. The old drive would be a secondary storage drive I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back