Rebooting/forced reboot/desktop picture

learninmypc

I was going to try to duplicate the situation, but it wouldn't do it so here is what "has" happened(s).
Occasionally I change my desktop picture & when I've rebooted, along the top of the screen, it says words to the effect " Do you want to wait for the program to shut down & then by the bottom, it says Force Reboot cancel.
The first time it happened, several days ago, it ended up rebooting before I had a chance to read the full page. Earlier today when it happened, it mentioned losing something if it wasn't saved.
If this is normal behavior for W7,ok.
Some of the desktop pictures have come from desktop nexus. Other are just screenshots I've saved.
I'm only bringing this up because I'm curious, its no big deal, thank you.

I don't tweak the desktop and have had my Win/7 Pro since April-'13 - - NEVER seen your symptom
Do you want to wait for the program to shut down...

Thats no dark haze, that is how it is . That is why I started this thread on 02/26
Kindly read the thread

Sorry... I think my adolescent humor may not have gone over as well as I'd hoped.

This message can come from pretty well any program that is running on your PC, and a quick look at taskmanager will show you that could be towards one hundred. This includes services such as java updater, acronis nonstop backup, anti-virus, desktop picture shuffling programs and non-services such as programs you started yourself, but minimised and forgot about.

In all cases, service programs should be written to obey a request to close-down issued by the operating system, and to do that closedown within a few milliseconds. But you may have downloaded something not so well-written, which hangs on too long, possibly waiting for a response from you with no visible window, or trying to save an over-long logfile. In very few cases does the program actually prevent your PC from closing down when the OS gets round to asserting it's authority which it does by 'forcing a reboot'.

One example I am familiar with is MS own visual foxpro, which is capable of refusing a shutdown until the second attempt. This is either very poor work by MS, or because the language is often used to build the host for client-server database applications, where you certainly do not want the software to stop 'by accident'.

So no, it's no big deal, but it does mean something is running on your PC that comes from a pretty unprofessional workshop somewhere. You may have your own suspicions on what it might be !!

This message can come from pretty well any program that is running on your PC, and a quick look at taskmanager will show you that could be towards one hundred. This includes services such as java updater, acronis nonstop backup, anti-virus, desktop picture shuffling programs and non-services such as programs you started yourself, but minimised and forgot about.

In all cases, service programs should be written to obey a request to close-down issued by the operating system, and to do that closedown within a few milliseconds. But you may have downloaded something not so well-written, which hangs on too long, possibly waiting for a response from you with no visible window, or trying to save an over-long logfile. In very few cases does the program actually prevent your PC from closing down when the OS gets round to asserting it's authority which it does by 'forcing a reboot'.

One example I am familiar with is MS own visual foxpro, which is capable of refusing a shutdown until the second attempt. This is either very poor work by MS, or because the language is often used to build the host for client-server database applications, where you certainly do not want the software to stop 'by accident'.

So no, it's no big deal, but it does mean something is running on your PC that comes from a pretty unprofessional workshop somewhere. You may have your own suspicions on what it might be !!
I'm basically positive its from the desktop picture. It'll do the above the first time I use some pictures, but after that, no problem.
If I wait a bit longer,it'll going into the reboot automatically.
Not being familiar with W7 at the time,it kinda scared me cause I thought I'd mess it up.
Thanks for your input.:)

next time that happens just click force shutdown then update whatever anti-virus software you have on it it should solve the problem
No, it don't. It happens on various pictures I use on my desktop. Some pictures it will not happen. My antivirus self updates itsself but thank you.

No, it don't. It happens on various pictures I use on my desktop. Some pictures it will not happen. My antivirus self updates itsself but thank you.
Could your Pc be running a scan in the back ground from your virus program or one of your malware programs. I know mine will do this if my virus program or PC Maintenance is running in the back ground. It normal as was stated by gbhall. I don't think your pics are the cause.

Could your Pc be running a scan in the back ground from your virus program or one of your malware programs. I know mine will do this if my virus program or PC Maintenance is running in the back ground. It normal as was stated by gbhall. I don't think your pics are the cause.
I know its my pictures because as I've previously stated,it does NOT happen with ALL pictures.
None of my security programs auto scan.Thank you.

Ok I just never seen it happen with pics. Are you running some kind of program to diplay your Pics,?

At first it was a mystery to me because I had only had this pc less than a month. Now that I've seen it happen multiple times & only using some pictures, the mystery is over.Thanks to everybody for your input.
Mystery is solved In My Opinion. :)

Back