Recently downgraded to XP and now can't connect to my network

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotherRussian

Ok so I should mention first that I am pretty green with this computer stuff so please have patience and thanks in advance.

I recently downgraded a Gateway ML3109 from Vista to XP. I backed up the necessary drivers and started installing them after I booted up XP. Everything was fine and dandy until I got to the internet drivers. I got the network and wireless to show up, network coming first. I plugged a network cable directly into my laptop and it was stuck on "aqcuiring network address." I then tried the wireless and got the same yellow triangle warning when trying to connect to my network. The odd thing is that I could connect to an unsecured wireless network just fine. :confused:

As far as specs go for the network adapters: Marvell Yukon 88E8038 PCI-E Fast ethernet controller and a Realtek RTL8185 54M Wireless Lan Network Adapter which has a #2 after it for some reason.

Anyways thanks in advance, appreciate the time.

Just confirming you have installed the Xp drivers from here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic92204.html

I believe yes

In that case you may want to go to Device Manager (Start->Run-> Devmgmt.msc)
And right click on your expanded Network Adaptors, and select remove (or uninstall)
Then restart and load the drivers again

Ok I uninstalled the the adapter and restarted but as soon as windows started back up it detected new hardware and started back up. Thing is though why would I be able to get online from an unsecured network and not be able to get on my home network? Any ideas?

Ok now we are getting somewhere. I was able to connect to the network. Now is there anyway to get it to work on the wireless? Thanks !

This line put into Start-->Run can start the wireless wizard in Windows:

%SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL NetSetup.cpl,@0,WNSW

Unfortunately that did not aquire the address. Also I noticed that I have to run netsetup everytime to connect to the network and my actual network icon still says it cant aquire the address and gives me limited or no connectivity. However I am online. Very strange.

Typed that in and got this:

Internet Gateway

WAN Connection on
FSD8233-4v3
Disconnected

-------------------------------------------------------------------

LAN or High Speed Internet

Wireless Connection 6
Connected to that Open network I mentioned
Reaktek

Local area Connection
Limited or no connectivity
Marvell Yukon

Start --> Run--> cmd /c ipconfig /all >Desktop\ipconfig.txt < ok>

And post the ipconfig.txt (on your Desktop) as an attachment
attach.gif
here

Hmm, that's strange ipconfig txt went all out of shape

I did actually edit above as well

can you delete the IPCONFIG off the Desktop
And run this exact line again in full: (please copy and paste into run)

cmd /c ipconfig /all >Desktop\IPCONFIG-2.txt

Then, guess what, attach it to a new reply (Oh I've renamed it to IPCONFIG-2)

Ugh ok so I followed all the steps in the link and after I typed ipconfig/renew I got this exact message, thanks for the patience.

An error occurred while renewing intrface local arean connection 3 : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address................................. : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask..............................: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway........................:

The Ip and gateway values are blank.

I'm starting to think this is an Ethernet data cable fault

You need to be using a "Patch" Ethernet cable
It needs to be securely connected (to the computer and then to the Router)

Note: If you are connecting directly to the other computer, you need to be using a "Cross-Over" Ethernet cable (normally not supplied by ISP)

Have I hit the nail on the head? :confused:

Ok so a new development. I went into my network connections, went to properties > configure > advaned > changed input value for network address, it was previously set to none. I no longer get an acquiring address message but when I try to go into IE it does not connect, any advice?

Ok so this is just getting rediculous now. I get on my computer this morning and the Local Connection cant find an address again, the network address value is filled in properties and know im completely dumbfounded.

if you have this problem! try to reinstall the driver for your network adapter & make sure you have the right driver for your network adapter & check the availability of your service provider.

If you have this problem! Try removing your network adapter & back it properly then reinstall the driver & make sure you have the right driver for your network adapter! & check the availability of your network service provider if there's no problem with the network sometimes it comes to the provider :-B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back