Recommendations on graphics cards?

Dummikey

Hey guys, I'm pretty new here and to the whole computer thing, I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a decent graphics card that not to expensive, My current one doesn't have Direct3D, So yeah. Cant play any online games for the moment. Right now I'm using Matrox Millennium G450 DuelHead DVI PCI. And I couldn't download the drivers to actually get Direct3D working so I'm forced to buy a new Graphics card :(. Thanks Mike ~ ;).

I actually got Direct3D After downloading some Updates for my actual PC and not the Graphics card.. But still, everything I try and play runs then crashes a few minutes later because It says I have no texture compression :/. I don't really have a budget on a new card, I just want to buy one that will give me no problems :).

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 2/19/2011, 13:23:21
Machine name: NEW-76DD8B1F7F9
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: hp workstation xw6000
BIOS: 686O4 v1.22
Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Page File: 508MB used, 2925MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Does this help? Thanks.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    37.8 KB · Views: 2
The system is built for workstation graphics cards -it has an AGP Pro slot for that purpose.
For gaming purposes you will be limited to using a PCI based card
(HP Workstation XW6000 guide/manual >here (.pdf< )
There is a thread devoted to PCI graphics cards on Techspot, although it seems to have a tendancy to wander off topic so a degree of perseverance is required.
PCI cards are by nature low powered and expensive for what they offer- the latter being due to the obsolete PCI interface. Your best bet for performance (a relative term here) is, as yRaz commented a HD5450, or 9500GT

Short answer is no. The XFX version is PCI-E (PCI-Express) which differs from the first generation PCI that your motherboard supports -they are not interchangeable.
You need to shop for PCI interface. There won't be a lot of choice, and the prices will likely be very high.

Ah OK I see. You're helping me out so much that I don't think you understand, really appreciate it. If I post another Graphics card up will you let me know if it will work?

Thanks!

Gainward NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT Graphics Card 512MB PCI

End my problems and tell me this Graphics card will be compatable?

Thanks!

That is a old Xeon. What will go perfect with your comp config is a nvidia 460 1GB or nvidia 8800 GT for 80 bucks

130 to 180 dollars.

Actually now that I think obout it, 2 cores would be a bottlneck to the 400 or 500 series

Get a 8800 GT

you wont regret it coming from where your coming from.. thd and gg and gb

I've already bought a Gainward NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT Graphics Card 512MB PCI.
Are you telling me it wont work?! :O

@Dummikey
Don't worry about it. The card you bought should work fine with the HP system. nismo was just correcting tweakboy's lack of understanding- hopefully tweakboy can now differentiate between PCI and PCI-E.

Oh okay, thanks alot dividebyzero, when the card gets delivered I'll be sure to post here again and let you know if it all went well ;).

I'm really hoping it will be straight forward, remove my old card, install the new one then get the drivers.

Don't you just love my lack of pc knowledge? Haha!

Remember to uninstall the Matrox driver first (while your present card is still in the machine), then install the new Gainward card, then install the nvidia driver.

What operating system are you using? Normally for Windows XP/Vista/7 it's:
Start > Control Panel > Programs > when the list is populated you should see the Matrox driver > select and uninstall.
You could also uninstall by selecting the Device Manager in the Control Panel > expand the "Display adapters" entry which should show the Matrox card you're using >right click and select "Properties" > Select the "Driver" tab > Press "Uninstall"

Yeah I got it, I'm with windows XP pro. So before I install the new card I'll remove both Matrox programmes.

Thanks again:).

Don't mean to insult anyones intelligence but make sure the computer is turned off and left for a few minutes before removing the old graphics card and installing the new one :)

So, my graphics card came today, the person I bought It from was false advertising because it said GeForce 9500GT PCI, It wasn't, It was PCI Express 2.0. My PC doesn't have any of those slots. So before checking to see if it would fit or not, I uninstalled all my drivers, so after realizing the graphics isn't going work, I put my computer back the way it was, when It was loading up I kept getting errors to do with Drivers, everything became all blurry and hard to see. (Still is). I've downloaded all the Drivers again, all the stuff I had before. I'm still having the Blurry and hard to see problem tho, I've got no idea what to do.

PS: Nothing ever goes right for me -.-

Thanks.

After 7Hour's I've fixed it! But for some reason, I had 2GB of RAM, Now I only have 512MB... Slightly irritating because I cant fix it!

Back