Recording 8K videos on the Galaxy S20 uses 600MB per minute

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: After months of speculation and anticipation, Samsung unveiled the Galaxy S20 series yesterday. One of the devices’ most impressive features is the ability to capture video at an 8K resolution, but recording at 7680 x 4320 comes at a high storage cost: 600MB for every minute.

In addition to the Galaxy Z Flip, Samsung showed off the Galaxy S20, Galaxy S20+, and Galaxy S20 Ultra—the first phones to support 8K recording—at its Unpacked event. Capturing footage with four times the pixels as 4K is obviously going to eat up a lot of storage space, and SamMobile has revealed exactly how much.

Samsung says one minute of 8K video will result in a file size of 600MB. While the S20 is limited to 128GB of internal storage, the S20+ (5G version) and S20 Ultra come in 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB models. You could also opt for a 1TB microSD card, which is enough for plenty of 8K clips.

There are a couple of limitations when shooting in 8K on the S20 handsets. Videos are limited to five minutes in length, and don’t expect to be hitting 60fps or even 30fps at this resolution—frame rates are capped at 24fps.

Samsung notes that recording in 8K allows users to grab 33-megapixel stills straight from the videos, meaning you can pick out high-quality photos from a clip.

While the scarcity and expense of 8K televisions mean watching your footage at its native resolution won’t be easy, Samsung’s partnership with YouTube allows users to upload the 8K vids directly to their channel from one of the devices.

Permalink to story.

Holy Crap! I was just sqouring ther web for this info, I was hoping they didnt cap the bitrate but after doing the math, I don't think 133mbps is enough for high quality 8k footage since 4k footage today on smartphones eat up just over 100mbps to look decent

I get all the bandwidth limitations and drawbacks, but there are 8K monitors/HDTV's out and it would be something to see your recorded video run in glorious 8K. We have a 4K QLED HDTV and when its being used to its fullest, is quite the difference from my old 1080p top of the line Plasma.
Right now 8K is obviously niche and new, but who cares, you won't see me drinking the haterade, keep pushing the limits so 8K becomes a standard in the next 5 years.

I needed to upgrade from a 256GB iPhone to a 512GB iPhone just to comfortably be able to make 4K travelvlogs because 4K 60fps was chewing up 400MB per minute.

The problem isn't the space the raw video takes up. the problem is the space you'll need to finalize the video into a format you can upload to Youtube.

On my 512GB iPhone XS Max, I can make an 8 hour video comfortably since I have over 450GB of space free.

I want a 1TB iPhone so I can do better than that.

But I won't be chasing 8K any time soon. virtually no one has 8K equipment and that extra expenditure would be a waste on my part. 4K 60fps is more than enough for now.

When you have a camera that is shooting 4K or 8K video, to have a 128GB storage capacity is just sad.

You should have no less than 256GB.

When you have a camera that is shooting 4K or 8K video, to have a 128GB storage capacity is just sad.

You should have no less than 256GB.

Do they still include SD Slot? If that's the case, allow for less compressed recording at higher bitrate to SD recording. This way you can pop your 256GB card no problem.

US and China users and a few more countries which will have the SnapDragon chipset it doesn't matter, because they will have the 10min video limit anyway just to avoid CPU overheat :D
Warm welcome from the UK with Exynos Samsung phones with unlimited video capture.

...why are you recording 8k ... or even 4k video on a mobile phone???!!! if you care THAT much about these insane video resolutions buy a video camera capable of adequately recording both the video AND the audio.

oh, you have 8k video on your phone? great - now the audio SUCKS.

99/100 people who record these videos view them or show them to others on their phone only. many will upload to facebook or youtube - which will downscale the video to 720p or lower to save space and bandwidth.

this is useless on a phone. on a screen that size it is physically and scientifically impossible for the human eye to tell the difference between 720 and 1080 and 2k and 4k and 8k etc. just like the "retina" display on iphones - its a gimmick.

its a fantastic device but don't buy it for this junk.

Don't see the point of screens with 8K/subatomic pixels anyway, except for massive screens to avoid pixelation. I can't see anything that small. The smaller the screen, the less dense it needs to be like 720. The pixels are already small. Although I wouldn't want to buy anything going forward smaller than 1080. 2K would suffice me till the end of time. I still curiously would like to see the Ad on atom level sized pixels with the requisite screens, fitting for the size of the planet. What, Advertisements from space that everyone can see? More than likely so they can insert subliminal information, supposedly 'for our own good' :p. Of course, they're already doing that now.

Last edited:
That is hilarious.

2 things phones don't need yet or maybe ever. The ability to record in 8k. 4k tv's are not great. In the UK companies like john lewis, and richer sounds give 5-6 years warranty to try and poach as many customers as possible. And they will soon realise these new tvs don't last more than 2 at best. So many issues, its horrendous.
In todays society where we are trying to be better, and tvs are thrown away left right and center because they basically suck. But the parts are cheap so they don't care. Bic bizneh mean bic munneh.

5g is also a pointless idea IMO. 4g is fast, faster than many homes wi fi. If the world was blanketed in 4g that would be an achievement. Making phones download faster where, you wouldn't actually notice, especially as it will only be in areas with 4g already, and when you step out of them zones, oh, 3g and worse.

Just my two cents, but it feels like we are running before walking, and imperfections in our walking mean we run funny.

I get all the bandwidth limitations and drawbacks, but there are 8K monitors/HDTV's out and it would be something to see your recorded video run in glorious 8K. We have a 4K QLED HDTV and when its being used to its fullest, is quite the difference from my old 1080p top of the line Plasma.
Right now 8K is obviously niche and new, but who cares, you won't see me drinking the haterade, keep pushing the limits so 8K becomes a standard in the next 5 years.

Well 8K will have more image data than 4K as well, so even if you export in 1080p you have 1) reframing options, 2) cropping into the image for "close angle" and 3) more image data for colors.

Now 4K with lesser compression and higher bitrate vs 8K with crazy compression/**** bitrate... mmm. I rather have 4K.

Also it's 10Mbps no? So, that's really nothing in terms of file size, so the compression will be ridiculous.

Well 8K will have more image data than 4K as well, so even if you export in 1080p you have 1) reframing options, 2) cropping into the image for "close angle" and 3) more image data for colors.

Now 4K with lesser compression and higher bitrate vs 8K with crazy compression/**** bitrate... mmm. I rather have 4K.

Also it's 10Mbps no? So, that's really nothing in terms of file size, so the compression will be ridiculous.
Its actually 133mbps

I have one solely for the video capabilities. I got $200 giving them an old s6 I had around so, $1200. The camera functionality out of the box is not what I had hoped for, but hopefully will be corrected. The low light video and night shot (amazing BTW) are the best I've seen, the software however struggles keeping focus and a few other issues, but the hardware is impressive. Getting the depth of field is good for me in most cases, but sometimes it isn't and I'd like it completely automated and dependable...this isn't quite there. 4k60 is 72mbs and stabilized on a gimbal does look pretty sweet.

Back