Regulatory filings confirm Nvidia RTX 4070 12GB memory configuration

DragonSlayer101

Staff
What just happened? Nvidia is expected to launch the RTX 4070 graphics card next month, and a slew of leaks in recent weeks have revealed a lot of details about it including many of its tech specs. Now, yet another major leak has seemingly confirmed the card's rumored 12GB memory configuration.

Confirmation of the RTX 4070's memory size came from MSI and Gigabyte's regulatory filings with the Eurasian Economic Commission (EEC) and South Korea's National Radio Research Agency (NRRA) website.

According to a document from the EEC database, MSI is working on at least eight RTX 4070 models, all with 12GB of VRAM. While the listing doesn't confirm anything else, earlier rumors suggested the cards will get 12GB of GDDR6X memory across a 192-bit interface.

First spotted by tipster @harukaze5719, the document also reveals that MSI is building at least four models of the RTX 4070 as part of its budget Ventus line including a couple of regular and overclocked dual (2x) and triple-fan (3x) designs.

There will also be four premium models as part of MSI's Suprim and Gaming lines, all with triple fan designs.

Another leak came from the South Korean NRRA, which listed a Gigabyte RTX 4070 EAGLE OC with 12GB of RAM (courtesy: @harukaze5719). The listing, however, did not reveal whether it will be a dual or triple-fan model.

Earlier leaks revealed launch date and additional specifications. The card is expected to be announced on April 13, and is rumored to feature the same AD104 GPU as the 4070 Ti, but with 5888 CUDA cores instead of the 7,680 cores in the Ti model.

The 4070 is expected to have a 1,920 MHz base clock and 2,475 MHz boost clock, compared to the 2,310 MHz base clock and 2,610 MHz boost clock of the 4070 Ti. The TDP is expected to be between 200 and 225 watts, which would be much lower than the 285W for the RTX 4070 Ti.

In terms of pricing, the 4070 Ti is likely to be expensive like its other RTX 4000 siblings, with rumors suggesting an MSRP of around $699. If Nvidia does price it that high, it will be around 40 percent more expensive than the RTX 3070 Ti, which had a $499 price tag at launch.

Permalink to story.

I don't think they'll do any better than a 3080 12GB/3080Ti card. These cards weren't really ideal for 4k, but they could do the work fairly well if you weren't looking for ULTRA settings.

The 4070 is just a mid-ranged card and should be treated as such, targeted mainly for 1440p, but can be used for some 4k gaming for those that can't or don't want to pay $1000+ for a 7900XTX or RTX 4080 and are willing to turn down some settings.

Hel|, I played across 5760x1080 with my two GTX 570s in SLI for a good 3-4 years. The low VRAM on them was kind of a pain, but they handled most games at that resolution on medium to high settings and pulled 45-60fps. Good enough for my needs. Folks willing to compromise may enjoy the 4070 if it's not priced stupid, but my guess is that it will be overpriced by at least $150.

Nope not buying. If any Nvidia employees or management are reading this, we won't tolerate these prices. Do not buy these cards at these prices if you care about value for money.

Hi,

Just pointing out a little typo in this report. You wrote: "In terms of pricing, the 4070 Ti is likely to be expensive like its other RTX 4000 siblings, with rumors suggesting an MSRP of around $699".

We all know you meant just 4070 (without the Ti moniker), but I just wanted to bring this to your attention to prevent any confusion! ;)

Yay another overpriced GPU trying to squeeze itself into some non-existent niche in an already over-saturated market. Nobody cares anymore.

Nope not buying. If any Nvidia employees or management are reading this, we won't tolerate these prices. Do not buy these cards at these prices if you care about value for money.
exactly. The 4070 range is supposed to be midrange cards!!! How's $700 midrange?!?! I'll just buy a used RTX 3080 on the 2nd-hand market for $450 thank you very much. Almost half the price for same performance!

In the meantime, in EU more offers on 7900XT @ ~$750.
I know every new nVidia GPU will sell like hot cakes, but It doesn't prove It's good, It's just mean that majority of nVidia consumers are r*tarded.

In my country resellers are slow on discounts, 7900XT best price is $820+VAT=$975 for MBA variant.

2070 and 3070 where $499 this jump to $699 is 40% increase. Good job Ngreedia, hope you choke on it.

And then of course it turns out all of the sky is falling chicken littles were off by a $100. Again.

Haven't you learned anything at all from the time you people threw the exact same fit over the 4070 Ti?

Back