Relation between USB hub and USB keyboard/mouse

Hi guys,
I am glad that you guys help a lot in this field. I really need one.
In my office PC I want to disable usb flash drive function. but from regdit path(run to regedit hkey_locqal_machine_system_service), usbstor folder is not present. usbhub folder is there and is enabled so if I make it 4 (instead of 3) means disabled, will my USB keyboard and mouse or any other device working on USB stop working? I am little confused as not from field of IT or CS.
PLease help me guys.

google "disable usb autorun" and there are several replies on the topic.
controlling thumbdrives will be different than some of the others
To selectively disable specific Autorun features, you must change the NoDriveTypeAutoRun entry in one of the following registry key subkeys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\

The following table shows the settings for the NoDriveTypeAutoRun registry entry.
Code:
Value	Meaning
0x1 or 0x80	Disables AutoRun on drives of unknown type
0x4	Disables AutoRun on removable drives
0x8	Disables AutoRun on fixed drives
0x10	Disables AutoRun on network drives
0x20	Disables AutoRun on CD-ROM drives
0x40	Disables AutoRun on RAM disks
0xFF	Disables AutoRun on all kinds of drives

Hi guys,
I am glad that you guys help a lot in this field. I really need one.
In my office PC I want to disable usb flash drive function. but from regdit path(run to regedit hkey_locqal_machine_system_service), usbstor folder is not present. usbhub folder is there and is enabled so if I make it 4 (instead of 3) means disabled, will my USB keyboard and mouse or any other device working on USB stop working? I am little confused as not from field of IT or CS.
PLease help me guys.

Hi shsh

I just noticed your post. It sounds like you want to prevent anyone from connecting a USB storage device to your computer, right? In which case, you're down the right path: you want to disable the USB storage driver. (Note: this will disable USB storage devices from connecting like flash drives, external disks and USB CD drives) but will NOT affect USB mouse/keyboards.

Also, instead of a registry hack and making any registry patch errors, you can use Serviwin. Click View->Drivers, scroll to usbstor and then simply set its properties StartupType to Disable it

Back