Remove Ubuntu running with XP in dual boot config without XP installation disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that this topic has probably appeared on here before, but I couldn't find it.

I would like to remove ubuntu as I would like to use the maximum amount of disk space for my Windows XP OS. I only have a 60GB HDD and Linux seems to be taking up nearly half of this. For some reason when I open Acer (D:) it doesn't display any files what so ever and claims that the drive is only 978MB in size.

I don't have an XP installation disk as my laptop came with the OS ready installed. I understand that it would make life a lot easier to have the disk as I could just use a couple of simple commands to remove Ubuntu using the XP repair section of the installation disk.

Could someone please tell me if I can remove ubuntu without the disk and also explain it in a way that doesn't make my head explode haha.

Ubuntu partition and Windows Partition

Ubuntu is really small I know because when I tried to load it onto my other P3 the HDD didn't accept it (the HDD is dead :dead:) and I could still run the Live CD! get on the internet! read emails using just the 512Mb of RAM! You may find that the partition is too large, try to reduce the partition size you should be able to see these by going to;
> My Computer (one left click, one right click)
> Manage(left click)
> Disc Management (left click)
> Select the Volume eg your 60GB HDD (left click,right click should give a menu selection )

OR try this should help you but once you've deleted a partition you cannot create a new one without doing a clean install
http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm
You can download another copy of Ubuntu for free if you need it.
http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-910
:wave:

Thank you for the help ucould2, I shall try those instructions later on. I have tried changing the partition size before, but that just made an XP part of the partition smaller instead of the Ubuntu part. It's taking up about 21GB of space on my HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back