Removing duplications

circusboy01

Is there a fast way of removing video duplications from Real Player?
I know Winamp has a place on the bottom of the player that you can click on to remove all the dups. at one time.
I know Real Player shows videos, and Winamp is audio only. But I thought Real Player might have a similar
device.
Same question for MPC-HC player. Thanks

Is there a fast way of removing video duplications from Real Player?
I know Winamp has a place on the bottom of the player that you can click on to remove all the dups. at one time.
I know Real Player shows videos, and Winamp is audio only. But I thought Real Player might have a similar
device.
Same question for MPC-HC player. Thanks
I doubt there is a fast way, you'll probably end up finding out if there is a box to check beside individual song(s) & then click a delete selected if it exists.

Very off topic but this question is directed squarely at circusboy01. I mean no disrespect at all when I ask this so don't take it the wrong way but it really boggles my mind that someone like you who visits this site so regularly would still be using an application like Real Player. Their name has been mud (and that's a nice way of putting it) for several years now and I actually thought they were on the way out of the tech world. Is there a specific feature you need/use that is only available in Real Player? Does it give you better performance with your media than other players? What apps have you tried for managing your media and why did they not work out?

MPC-HC on the other hand is a decent piece of software if you're willing to do a bit of tinkering. I don't know the answer offhand to your question but if you're savvy enough to use MPC-HC it's even more confusing to me that you'd use Real Player.

Again, I mean no disrespect and I'm truly curious to know why you use RP.

I didn't even know Realtek was an actual player. I thought it was a sound codec that ran unnecessary processes, and applications that phoned home which could be killed at startup without ill effect. >alcmtr.exe<

Last edited:
Captain - I didn't know that either, or maybe I did and forgot. However, circus is talking about Real Player, a horrible thing that I thought died in the early 2000s.

Captain - I didn't know that either, or maybe I did and forgot. However, circus is talking about Real Player, a horrible thing that I thought died in the early 2000s.
Well, "my bad", as the children say..:D

OTOH, wouldn't VLC, or even Windows Media Player, be worthy substitutes?

As for duplicates, with HDDs up to 4TB currently available, they're not something I'm sure I'd lose much sleep over.

Especially with downloaded video files. Most of what I have could simply be deleted, save for a few of Barbamiska's true classics. "Plan B", would be to write them to DVD and then proceed to forget/ignore them from there.

Last edited:
Very off topic but this question is directed squarely at circusboy01. I mean no disrespect at all when I ask this so don't take it the wrong way but it really boggles my mind that someone like you who visits this site so regularly would still be using an application like Real Player. Their name has been mud (and that's a nice way of putting it) for several years now and I actually thought they were on the way out of the tech world. Is there a specific feature you need/use that is only available in Real Player? Does it give you better performance with your media than other players? What apps have you tried for managing your media and why did they not work out?

MPC-HC on the other hand is a decent piece of software if you're willing to do a bit of tinkering. I don't know the answer offhand to your question but if you're savvy enough to use MPC-HC it's even more confusing to me that you'd use Real Player.

Again, I mean no disrespect and I'm truly curious to know why you use RP.

LNCPapa, captaincranky, and SNGX1275;
The only reason I use Real Player is I download a lot of videos from Youtube. Mostly music. As far as I know Realplayer is the only player that Youtube will download to.
If you know of any other, Id sure like to know thanks.

LNCPapa, captaincranky, and SNGX1275;
The only reason I use Real Player is I download a lot of videos from Youtube. Mostly music. As far as I know Realplayer is the only player that Youtube will download to.
If you know of any other, Id sure like to know thanks.
Yes, you can play youtube videos using VLC

Just install "Video Download Helper" as an extension to Firefox, and you can download the video and play them on anything. WMP, VLC, whatever.

Most videos have a choice of resolution and file extensions. If not, VDH will convert them, although I've not needed to try that personally.

Read about it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/

captaincranky; Thanks I downloaded VDH. Funny thing though. After I downloaded VDH, I opened my WMP clicked on videos, and a lot of the music videos that I have on RP were already in WMP. Don't know if VDH automatically finds videos and loads them on to whatever player your using with VDH or what? Or maybe they have been there for a while, and I just didn't notice because all I use WMP for is watching Netflix DVDs.
I also tried to download a video to WMP using VDH. it didn't work. I might have done something wrong I'll try again later.

captaincranky; Thanks I downloaded VDH. Funny thing though. After I downloaded VDH, I opened my WMP clicked on videos, and a lot of the music videos that I have on RP were already in WMP.
If you're running Windows 7, that has some ongoing library search functions. That may be the reason.

Don't know if VDH automatically finds videos and loads them on to whatever player your using with VDH or what? Or maybe they have been there for a while, and I just didn't notice because all I use WMP for is watching Netflix DVDs.
As I pointed out, after you download the videos with VDH, you can play them with whatever you like. I'm kind of hard pressed to understand why you specifically limit WMP player to Netflix.
I also tried to download a video to WMP using VDH. it didn't work. I might have done something wrong I'll try again later.
VDH downloads to its own folder. (Created when you install it). After that, a double click should bring it up on your default player. Now, WMP will play many formats. But, when you download your videos, you should make certain to go for the highest quality available. This selection process is another right click operation, (in the VDH context menu).

I've had WMP claim it couldn't play DIVX, then ran the format perfectly anyway.

As for organizational skills, it would seem they're not in my genetic makeup. So, you're on your own there...:D

If you're running Windows 7, that has some ongoing library search functions. That may be the reason.

As I pointed out, after you download the videos with VDH, you can play them with whatever you like. I'm kind of hard pressed to understand why you specifically limit WMP player to Netflix.
VDH downloads to its own folder. (Created when you install it). After that, a double click should bring it up on your default player. Now, WMP will play many formats. But, when you download your videos, you should make certain to go for the highest quality available. This selection process is another right click operation, (in the VDH context menu).

I've had WMP claim it couldn't play DIVX, then ran the format perfectly anyway.

As for organizational skills, it would seem they're not in my genetic makeup. So, you're on your own there...:D

I do have Windows 7
I like WMP for Netflix because it's full screen is really full screen fills up the entire monitor. Do you have a suggestion for a better player to watch Netflix on?
I saw the selections. I'm just not sure which are the highest quality.
Thanks for your help. I'm going to try using VDH again.
O.K. I just used VDH, and it's great. When you said I could pick a player. I thought I had to pick one player, and that's the one I would have to use. But. I opened the folder, clicked on videos, clicked on Real Player videos, clicked on one of the videos, and I had the choice of using RP WMP or VLC, I can use a different player for every video. I'm guessing, if I download more players, they would show up too.

Question for everyone. Just what is so bad about Real Player? (not defending it. Just curious.)

Last edited:
I do have Windows 7
I like WMP for Netflix because it's full screen is really full screen fills up the entire monitor. Do you have a suggestion for a better player to watch Netflix on?
Well no, I don't. In fact, the reason I pointed you toward VDH, was to enable you to use WMP, (or VLC), for playback of your downloaded videos.

You run into a lot of opinions against WMP from M$ haters. I'm not one of them. WMP is what I use to watch rented movies, and to rip and play CDs. (Rented videos and Netflix streaming are pretty much similar in CPU and VGA demand).
I saw the selections. I'm just not sure which are the highest quality.
The best I've seen offered so far is 720p, in either WMV, or Divx. If you download in the Divx format, (or "Mp4"), you may be able to play the videos on a stand alone Blu-Ray player if you like. My Blu-ray machine WILL play Divx, but WON'T play WMV. (OK, maybe it was an ".Avi" file it spit out). But, using Divx files, I could burn videos to DVD, and watch them on my TV.

It seems with respect to downloading videos, VDH will perform the same function as "Handbrake", converting to different formats. But, SNGX1275 would be better.able to comment on that, since I've never used the program.

O.K. I just used VDH, and it's great. When you said I could pick a player. I thought I had to pick one player, and that's the one I would have to use. But. I opened the folder, clicked on videos, clicked on Real Player videos, clicked on one of the videos, and I had the choice of using RP WMP or VLC, I can use a different player for every video.
So you're squared away then? You should be able to generate playlists with either WMP, or VLC. (Not that I'm organized enough to bother, but you can).
I'm guessing, if I download more players, they would show up too.
I'm pretty sure they would. But, the more players you have and use, the more potential security issues you present. So, (IMHO), I'd just stick with WMP and VLC, they're plenty. The VLC people have a Blu-Ray playback solution in the works. Although you have to install a different codec for it. You can google that.

On another note, early versions of NERO's burning suite will mount DVD-Video from a folder on the HDD, whereas WMP will not. No problem though, since you're usually going to burn those files to disc anyway.
Question for everyone. Just what is so bad about Real Player? (not defending it. Just curious.)
I'm guessing, but I'd say primarily because WMP and VLC have been under constant development, and the Real Player has not.

I thought it was from "Realtek" corp., but it seems I was mistaken. The other guys may be able give you a better answer than I can.

Last edited:
I just looked at it again, for the first time since about 2003. It seems they have put in some cloud integration for sharing of videos on several different devices including phones/tablets. I would say if you are happy with it, then go ahead and continue using it.

Back in the late 90s Real had its own format, its niche was really delivering streaming audio and video over dial-up connections. As the web and video formats matured, their proprietary formats began to become worse compared to wmv and video embedded in flash. VLC came along and after Microsoft killed their old media player in favor of the bubbly POS WMP7-whatever it is on now. Then later in response to a lack of a good WMP for Windows anymore a 3rd party released MPC, which looks like WMP 6.x.
RealPlayer fell out of favor for most everyone in the early 2000s in favor of VLC. There was no good reason to keep RealPlayer around if you didn't have any of their encoded vids/audio (I think it was .rm and .ra formats).

It appears they have changed, and maybe it is now a fine player. However, I don't think I have any use for this cloud sharing of video and if I ever do, I'm convinced there is a better solution out there than installing Real Player, this is just experience bias from 10+ years ago.

Real Player was also notorious for installing crapware on your machine when installed. Also, when you removed the app it would break several things and leave everything it had touched unassociated. It was a horrible piece of software that I considered a virus during its heyday. I even got into an argument with one of its developers on another forum several years ago... on tilted forums or something like that.

Last edited:
Real Player was also notorious for installing crapware on your machine when installed. Also, when you removed the app it would break several things and leave everything it had touched unassociated. It was a horrible piece of software that I considered a virus during its heyday. I even got into an argument with one of its developers on another forum several years ago... on tilted forums or something like that.
"Nero" burning suite has an affinity for this as well, at least with respect to file association. Nero changed the file extensions, and as a result, you need Nero to find a file put away with Nero.

The solution in this case, is to simply not designate Nero as a default application for any type file, and use Windows to organize file structure.

However, to a newcomer, this behaviour can be massively confusing and frustrating.

(My experience with Nero ens at version 6. If this app has "reformed", so to speak, feel free to let me know).

I just looked at it again, for the first time since about 2003. It seems they have put in some cloud integration for sharing of videos on several different devices including phones/tablets. I would say if you are happy with it, then go ahead and continue using it.

Back in the late 90s Real had its own format, its niche was really delivering streaming audio and video over dial-up connections. As the web and video formats matured, their proprietary formats began to become worse compared to wmv and video embedded in flash. VLC came along and after Microsoft killed their old media player in favor of the bubbly POS WMP7-whatever it is on now. Then later in response to a lack of a good WMP for Windows anymore a 3rd party released MPC, which looks like WMP 6.x.
RealPlayer fell out of favor for most everyone in the early 2000s in favor of VLC. There was no good reason to keep RealPlayer around if you didn't have any of their encoded vids/audio (I think it was .rm and .ra formats).

It appears they have changed, and maybe it is now a fine player. However, I don't think I have any use for this cloud sharing of video and if I ever do, I'm convinced there is a better solution out there than installing Real Player, this is just experience bias from 10+ years ago.

I agree with you about the cloud sharing crap. I've been downloading Youtube videos to RealPlayer since long before it had this Cloud thing, and it worked just fine. In fact you can't tell the difference between a normal download, and a Cloud download. Except for the fact that once your Cloud storage/space. ( whatever they call it) is full, you can't download any more videos until you buy more. Before Cloud you could download as many videos as you wanted.
I had to delete a lot of my least favorite videos to clear up more space. Hated dong it.
Even though they were my least favorites they were still part of my favorites.
I was thinking about downloading an older version of RealPlayer if I could. Old enough that it wont have the Cloud, but not so old that it has all the crap you mentioned.

Thanks for the info on RealPlayer
I agree with you about the Cloud. See my reply to LNCPapa

What I forgot to mention when I talked about dragging and dropping and/or copy and paste to VLC is once you X out of the player the list is gone.
Yes I remember the thread from when you first showed it to me.
I thought then and I still think. Too many (confusing) hoops to jump through for a playlist much easier to find a player that will automatically generate a playlist. Which I found in MPC-HC.

If it works for you stick with it. Don't let us talk you out of something you like :)

I deleted this from my reply half a day ago, but now I feel obligated to ask.

Why do you need video playlists? I can think of one or 2 specific instances where one would be nice, but a vast majority of my video playing (and I perhaps incorrectly assume others too) does not need any playlist.

Back