Removing Windows XP and partition

Evilince

Hello, a while back when I got Windows 7 64bit I decided to partition my HDD and leave Windows XP there for programs that wouldn't work on Windows 7. Now however I have no need for XP and the partition with Windows 7 is always running out of space which is a 30GB partition. Windows XP is a 120GB Partition.

What is the best way to remove Windows XP and join the 2 partitions back together so there is only the 1 partition with 150GB without anything happening to Windows 7?

Thanks

Windows XP

I haven't played with Windows 7 yet, however I do know Windows XP pretty well. Do you have the Windows XP Instalation disk and code?

I know how to remove XP, I just need to know how to put the two partitions back together without anything happening to Windows 7

Windows XP

I reiterate. It would be a whole lot easier if you had the disk and code. Cause when you insert the Instalation disk it will have you select a spot on your HDD to instal XP. it's then that you could delete the original XP partition and then leave without actually entering the setup.

Ok but from my understanding that doesn't automatically put the two partitions back together, it just leaves the partition with Windows 7 on it and then unallocated space from the partition that had XP on it. Windows 7 disc also has the same area that you are talking about in which you can select the partitions and format/delete them.

Checkout two freeware tools

1) EASUS Partition Master - for partition management (delete, merge, resize, etc.). Note you need to APPLY the changes before it actually performs the partition changes for you

2) EasyBCD - for boot management (e.g. to remove the XP boot option)

also, is wise to backup stuff before repartitioning... just to be cautious

Thanks for your help guys. I managed to get XP removed and both partitions put back together into 1 with Windows 7 on it. I actually had a copy of GParted Live, I just had to use the Windows 7 disc to repair the startup and now it's all fine.

Back