Repairing Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

nashtans51

Hi All,

My computer is not coming up (not even in the safe mode). After booting, it gives a list of errors within the folder system32/drivers and so I decided to repair using the original XP CD. So, selecting appropriate options, my PC was being "repaired" by the XP CD and there was an error that popped up, which said " Softawre you are installing for this hardware: SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio has not passed Windows Logo testing....... " and so on and so forth. So I decided to disable the driver from Recovery console and repeat the process. It still gives the same error. The worst part is, it disables my mouse and keyboards, so I cannot interact with it. I tried disabling other audio services like Audiosrv, Audstub, sysaudio, wdmaud also, but ended with the same result everytime. I don't want to do a clean install. Its my hard labored data of 3 years. Please suggest a solution, if you know. Thanks a lot!

Nash

First of all here's an excellent guide on Repairing Windows XP: http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdrepair/part3.htm

That message: "Software you are installing has not passed Windows testing"
Can usually be allowed and continue setup.

These drivers have not been signed by MS testing and therefore are flagged as a concern. But because they worked before, this shouldn't be an issue.

If you do allow this Software driver to continue installing (ie Yes) and then you receive a fault, then the fault may be to do with the original Service Pack installed, and the now SErvice Pack that you are trying to Repair with. Or it's a Virus\Trojan issue!

If it still continues to fail, you may need to backup the HardDrive by physically taking plugging it into another working computer (ie USB connection) and then do a clean install

Hi Kimsland,

Thanks for your reply.

>>If you do allow this Software driver to continue installing (ie Yes) and then you receive a fault,

Windows at this time, has disabled all my input devices (keyboard and mouse), I cannot interact with the PC, except to do the hard reset.

Then I feel if you need to recover any user data whatsoever, you will need to physically remove the HardDrive and mount it as a secondary drive in another computer. Then proceed to backup any user data.

Once complete re-mount the drive back into the original computer.
Boot from your Windows setup CD
But this time remove the Partition (you will see this option, and steps to do this)
And continue to install Windows fresh (ie not repair)

It is an internal hard drive. So which one would be easier? Connecting internally or externally via USB? Do I need to connect as I was connecting any other USB drive? I mean once the new computer boots up, or before it boots?

No it would be best to physically remove (unscrew from internal case)
Then mount internally in another working computer, as a secondary drive (like in place of the CD drive (if it's an IDE drive)
Boot up that working computer
And using the normal "My Computer" browse to your new D or E drive, then search and backup all your data

Then return the HardDrive back to the original computer
And continue to install Windows fresh (ie not repair) Removing the Partition (when asked)

I was finally able to retrieve my data. Did it using the USB to SATA adapter - $15. Saved the hassle of connecting the hard drive internally to my office computer. Thanks for your help though!

"so I decided to repair using the original XP CD. So, selecting appropriate options, my PC was being "repaired" by the XP CD and there was an error that popped up, which said " Softawre you are installing for this hardware: SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio has not passed Windows Logo testing"

How is that possible from an 'original XP CD'?

There is an option to recover/repair once you boot from original XP CD. Keep on selecting that. Visit the link that kimsland mentioned in one of her previous posts. It details everything.

LoL - I cannot figure out how you got that driver error if your were repairing and using an 'original' XP CD.

Using Original XP CD is the exact reason why I'd get the driver error. Don't forget that the driver could be an uncertifiied (by Microsoft) third party driver. In that case, it will not be recognized by XP CD. It should however give an option to go ahead with the installation anyway. That's where it failed.

BUT! XP Repair Install cannot try and install it from the XP CD if it isn't on the XP CD!

It should however give an option to go ahead with the installation anyway. That's where it failed.
Usually it's a matter of allowing the existing driers to be installed
But if the existing drivers were made for, lets say, SP3 and your Windows CD is trying to Repair with SP1, this is where an issue can happen.

The choices are:
Continue installing the drivers
Cancel installing the drivers
Or install a fresh install of Windows (ie not repair) selecting to remove the partition during the initial setup. Once Windows is installed update to the latest Service Pack, then install the updated Drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back