Replacement power supply looses date and time

Status
Not open for further replies.

rev_olie

Hi

Ive just fixed a friends PC as it was starting up and then 1 second later stops (only CPU fan spin) so i tried resetting the CMOS which i doubted would work but it didn't take long and of course didn't work. So its the power supply. Then i sent away for a new PSU for them id used a number of times before (the brand not the actually power supply) and installed it and booted the first time fine but as i though it had lost the date and time. Now i didn't think much of it so i unplugged it and took it round and it did it again. So how can i stop it?. It just looses the date and time but they are no way computer literate and would implode if i mentioned using the BIOS so any thoughts?.

(sorry i forgot to mention its only a year old) so i wouldnt have though it would be going yet would it?

Could be dust settled between the battery contacts
But for a couple of dollars I'd take a new CMOS button battery with me, and just replace the battery

Then setup date and time again
Then cold boot (turn off) and see if the date and time now hold
My hero, they'll say. All done

haha i like that my hero theyd say very good

right well they wont have turned it off yet so i will go back tommoro if they do and it breaks il try and replace it or clean it and see what happens because i must admit t was very dusty so ill see Thanks

A vacuum will do
But I like high compressed air, especially when blowing out the CPU and PowerSupply
It always shocks the hell out of me, how much dust would have still be left in there without really blowing it out! It'll blow you away :)

Find someone with one of these pneumatic high air compressors, and ask if you can use it for 5mins (have the case ready opened)
Or purchase one of those high compressed air cans, and use the whole can, and do it yourself.

Yep i like compressed air more to and with the added advantage of dear old dad working in manufacturing its all free...good times :D

Oh and do yours too ;)

Report back
By the way sometimes when you help others, they get upset and even mad (especially when ignorant to computers technically) just explain that some things are un-explainable when it comes to computers, think of it as a female with attitude, treat her well. She's a beaut :haha:

haha i will bear that in mind...many people need to read and then re read that to make sure they are not offended :p

It is not your PSU. it is your CMOS battery. replace that. Your CMOS battery controls date/time.

lol well nwo we have 3 very different ways of saying its the CMOS battery nice one!

BUt the good thing is that it doesnt seem to have lost the settings this time. She didnt say anything and they wouldnt have know how to fix it themselves so just seems to have lost it twice and only twice :S o well thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back