Replacing a dead 360 DVD drive

gobbybobby

So my DVD drive has died on my 360, and I hear if u get a new one off Ebay u have to get the key from the old one and stick it on the new so your Xbox will read it, thats all well and good if your drive would work/ be picked up by PC. The drive is dead and there is no way of getting the key :(

Now if my logic is right the key is stored on one of the Microchips in the board, so If I can get the chip off the board (by heating it up) what piece of Hardware would I need to read it, and software to get the Needed information off in order to ''flash'' it onto the new XBox360 drive I plan to order? I don't want to shell out on a new console as its in full working order despite DVD drive and doing it said way would be cheaper? Yes! Also if anyoen knows which chip it is on the Xbox 360 Ben Q VAD 3038 Drive I be very happy! I Plan on replacing it with another benQ drive.

I point out I do not intend to play pirated games. I just want to be able to replace my DVD drive which may be against MS EuLA but I don't care as its not breaking UK law. I will use it to back my games up again fully within UK law. Thanks in advanced for replys

If you're positive that the old drive is dead (i.e. no power to the drive) then getting the key is impossible. if the drive has already been flashed then the key should have been saved. i'm quite positive there is no way to retrieve the key from the motherboard itself, without the use of specialized equipment, that you don't have access to anyways.

buy a new console and keep the old one for parts or sell it as is

I agree. They know there are too many out there who would mess with their warranty. You have to replace the chip, and unless you are very good with an iron, and you have the correct replacement chip, you are going to get nowhere. Only certified repair stations have the equipment to replace and write the chip.

no no. If I take the chip off the Board, the chip that has the needed key to flash the New drive (No need take chip off new drive) and have something that can read Chips, there must be hardware u can buy that will allow me with the right software to get the code off the chip and put it in Jungle flasher to flash new Drive when it arrives.

My warrenty was out.

don't waste your time, it's much less of a headache to just get a new console. my current 360 cost me $75 and if it fails i will buy another one. that's just how it is with the 360... they break and you buy a new one. this mystery hardware you seek is probably not for sale and even if it was i can almost guarantee it would be more expensive then a brand new xbox. if you're worried about the whole drive flashing thing, just buy a used pre-flashed console.

Im gonna send it to someone who has the kit to get the needed file, they do it for £10 so should be all good.

Im not buying a new one!

Im gonna send it to someone who has the kit to get the needed file, they do it for £10 so should be all good.

Im not buying a new one!

Fixing an Xbox 360 is a waste of time and money.

Trash the hunk of sh*t and buy yourself a computer, or a PS3 if you must.

Trust me, as much as you want to remain attached to your console and games, it's not worth the headache, and I'm speaking from experience, I went through 2 360s of fixing and repairing before I decided to give up. It's nice not having to fix one for 3 months straight only to buy a new one and have it fail on you 6 months later.

I have a gaming PC and I have a PS3. I want REACH

REACH

HALO REACH

OMG reach

/me fires up PS3 for a game of mag

Anyone able to do it for me? I pay say £10, I send u the board, u solder and get file needed to flash a new drive with. If u got a solder gun and have the thing that can read and get data off the chip then, its £10 right!

Meh that sucks sorry to hear Gobby wish I could help a fellow Halo fan =/, but like others have said it's just a headache messing with your 360 and your best bet since you are out of warranty is to buy a new console and I'd say get the s model if you do. My only other suggestion is if your 360 overall still works as in playing games off the HDD find someone you know who has a 360 and install Reach on it from their unit and your ready to go. Granted not a real solution, but you don't have to buy a new console.

PS: Ya I agree omg Reach! It's almost here 15 more days!

Halo Reach will suck just like the last 3 games... the franchise is dead. But alas, anything with Halo on it is gonna sell millions of copies. I used to be a Halo fanatic as well, but no longer. Bungie hasn't produced a game quite like the original, and they never will.

I'd like to point out that even the most experienced solderer is not likely to retrieve the key that easily, like less than 15% chance of success. Everything on the 360 motherboard (and all motherboards in general for that matter) are mechanically soldered with computer precision. Not only would it be difficult to replicate but you'd also run the risk of damaging or shorting out the board. I don't think anyone can help you.

Meh that sucks sorry to hear Gobby wish I could help a fellow Halo fan =/, but like others have said it's just a headache messing with your 360 and your best bet since you are out of warranty is to buy a new console and I'd say get the s model if you do. My only other suggestion is if your 360 overall still works as in playing games off the HDD find someone you know who has a 360 and install Reach on it from their unit and your ready to go. Granted not a real solution, but you don't have to buy a new console.

PS: Ya I agree omg Reach! It's almost here 15 more days!

Cannot do that. u need disk in drive to run game and as ist dead :(, also if I sign into XB live I will be banned auto for system tampering (as Disk drive is dead)

No I will send my Dead drives board off to someone who can dump the needed file off the chip for me. My younger brother is getting the Limited edition 360 slim. We both shared an xbox 360 last 4 years (the one that I trying to fix) so I want one for myself.

D'oh! Forgot you still needed the disk even if not playing off it, well I hope you get it all sorted out and fixed before the 14th.

if I sign into XB live I will be banned auto for system tampering (as Disk drive is dead)

Wasn't aware you'd get auto-banned for a dead DVD drive, that's rather comical and I don't think they would let something like that stand as that's rather consumer unfriendly

Cannot do that. u need disk in drive to run game and as ist dead :(, also if I sign into XB live I will be banned auto for system tampering (as Disk drive is dead)

No I will send my Dead drives board off to someone who can dump the needed file off the chip for me. My younger brother is getting the Limited edition 360 slim. We both shared an xbox 360 last 4 years (the one that I trying to fix) so I want one for myself.

Microsoft just announced they will be raising Xbox Live prices. Seriously, do yourself a favor and buy something else. Heck, sell your 360 games and use the money to buy games on your PC/PS3.

if he likes the 360 then there is no reason to get something else, but going through all the trouble to replace the DVD drive is a huge waste of time if you ask me. if he had the key then i would say go for it but not having it ready to flash leaves you with one practical option... which is buying a new console. so you have to buy a new one? big deal; welcome to the world of Microsoft and the Xbox 360. 60% of the original and second generation consoles aren't even in existence anymore.

Halo Reach will suck just like the last 3 games... the franchise is dead. But alas, anything with Halo on it is gonna sell millions of copies. I used to be a Halo fanatic as well, but no longer. Bungie hasn't produced a game quite like the original, and they never will.

Far from dead but also not on par with the levels of CE if that's what you mean. Sequels to extremely popular games almost always fall short with the exception of most Valve/Blizzard titles and games that radically alter the gameplay like Mass Effect 2 or Fallout 3. Even then there are still angry original fans who wanted the game to go in a different direction. From everything I've seen so far Reach looks to be the closest Bungie will come to CE and I'm sure that's what they were shooting for.

I hope you're right, because I did really love the series at one point. You're lying to yourself though if you believe the story is any good ;)

Mass Effect 2 didn't really change the gameplay from the first that much, and Fallout 3 wasn't really a direct sequel as much as it was a reincarnation of an older title in FPS/3PS form. I think New Vegas is going to flop by the way, and from what I've seen it doesn't look all that impressive.

I bought Half-Life 2 (boxed) in late November of 2004 and I consider it one of my very best game purchases, especially since I've played through it a billion times. Probably the best game sequel of all time.

I never played Half life 2! Need to buy that. I am not too fussed about the price rise for Xbox live, its not that much, its been same price since it launched so... but yea, if I can't find someone to fix this them I may not bother getting a new one. My Younger Brothers getting Xbox 360 Slim limited edition Halo reach console. I just wanted an Xbox for myself becuase he is on the current (broken) one, all the time!

I never played Half life 2! Need to buy that. I am not too fussed about the price rise for Xbox live, its not that much, its been same price since it launched so... but yea, if I can't find someone to fix this them I may not bother getting a new one. My Younger Brothers getting Xbox 360 Slim limited edition Halo reach console. I just wanted an Xbox for myself becuase he is on the current (broken) one, all the time!

Reading this makes me all sad and depressed.

If you have a working dvd drive for Xbox 360 and try to replace an existing drive with it , the chips will not allow them to work. But if you take the board out of the working drive and resolder it into the broken drive they work. As long as the logic chip from the original dvd and the mother board remain the same they will communicate the key to each other. You need to open the good dvd drive and make a map of the wires. I think there were 16 to solder back. Resolder the board from the good drive into the bad one and put it back together. I did this and am still using the same xbox360.

Yer I chucked it out a window and bought a PS3, this was several years ago. :) not bothering with the PS4, Xbox one this time around, just sticking with the far superior PC gaming, don't even have a DVD drive on either of my 2 PCs who needs Disks anymore!

Back