Report: Next-gen graphics cards from Nvidia and AMD will arrive in September

midian182

Staff member
Highly anticipated: After months of anticipation, Nvidia finally revealed its Ampere architecture last week. But while the company did announce the A100 GPU, which is designed for cloud computing, AI, and scientific uses, there was no mention of any gaming products. According to a new report, however, the new line of graphic cards will arrive this September, the same month that AMD’s Big Navi GPUs arrive.

The claim comes from DigiTimes, which says that the long-time rivals are “set to launch their next-generation GPUs in September.” The publication also mentions that graphics card vendors are set to drop the prices of current-gen products in the third quarter to further stimulate demand.

DigiTimes doesn’t name a source or specify which graphics cards will arrive, and the site doesn’t always get things right, but the story does line up with some previous reports. At the end of April, a China Times post stated that the consumer Ampere cards would be here in the third quarter and that Nvidia’s AIB partners, including Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI, were clearing stock in preparation for the RTX 3000 launch.

Another report from the usually reliable DRAMeXchange research division of TrendForce also claimed both Nvidia and AMD were planning on releasing new GPUs in the third quarter of the year.

We’ve not seen any new graphics cards from Nvidia since the Super variant of the RTX 2000-series arrived, and they were based current products using the same Turing architecture. On the AMD side, the Radeon RX 5700 and RX 5700 XT launched last year but never exactly set the world on fire, and can't compete with Nvidia's best offerings.

Back in January, AMD boss Lisa Su promised that we’d see both Zen 3 and Big Navi in 2020, though this was before Covid-19 spread worldwide, so things could always change.

Following a postponement due to Covid-19, Computex is set to take place this September 28 - 30. Nvidia and AMD (and Intel) are rumored to be skipping the show due to pandemic concerns, but with lockdowns being relaxed, the two companies could backtrack and use the event to show off their next-gen cards.

Permalink to story.

Can't wait. If all goes to plan I'll drop on a Zen 3 and next gen GPU build late this year or early next. The cliched 'console killer' machine.

I think the new GPUs will trigger a wave of upgrades with a decent step, a lot of people have been waiting around since Pascal generation for something worthwhile. That includes all those GTX1080 and 1080Ti owners.

I figured this would be the case for the next-generation GPUs. September is far enough off that it gives both Nvidia and AMD some time to ramp up the production of these new chips so that they land just in time for the holiday shopping season. Titan RTX 3000 anyone?

Wont see me buying a phone with proprietary head phone jack the exact same reason I wont buy that Nvidia garbage.

I think the new GPUs will trigger a wave of upgrades with a decent step, a lot of people have been waiting around since Pascal generation for something worthwhile. That includes all those GTX1080 and 1080Ti owners.
Yep, my plan exactly provided they launch Ti version otherwise I will wait patiently for when it launches next year ;-)

Wont see me buying a phone with proprietary head phone jack the exact same reason I wont buy that Nvidia garbage.
Why not just buy what's faster? You don't know how RDNA2 will do against Ampere.
I don't see how any person with sensible decision making can blindly choose a product at least 4 months out with close to zero knowledge of its performance.

Exciting times indeed, hopefully AMD will come up with a high end GPU, Navi is already beating everything from nVidia for similar price (usually lower). Turing pricing was and still is ridiculous.

This peasant has his grand ready for RDNA2 with is peasant 65" Oled hsmi 2.1 HDR 4k 120htz Peasant like screen.
If you have a grand ready why not just get a 3080/ti? It will beat whatever AMD releases as they are targeting a 2080ti for performance.

Current gen prices will drop, but for me, I still do not think that a 2000 series nVidia card is worth the money.

This plan of dropping current gen prices makes me wonder just how much the next gen will cost. Arguably, IMO, the price increase on nVidia's 2000 series was absolutely not worth it as I am not a bragging rights seeker.

I just hope AMD brings some competition to the table. If so, maybe nVidia will have to maintain reasonable pricing for this new generation; otherwise, I may go to the used market. nVidia's :facepalm: pricing is arguably due to the lack of any reasonable competition. If AMD's cards perform well for the money, my bet is that nVidia will feel the hit from the competition.

It will be interesting to see benchmarks when these cards hit the market.

Gtx 1080 ti are still the fastest single gpu in that time. when rtx arrived it was just a upgrade and some better fps on rtx 2080 ti in outry version s so 2x 1080 and ti hold up for gameplay 8-11 gb in games are nice.

Just did my 3800x build, running my older 1070 TI still. This 3000 series or Navi will be what my eyes keep on. I'm leaning towards NVIDIA due to drivers tending to be better. Have to see what happens.

I'm still on a 970 not upgraded this PC in 6 years which is kinda incredible but it still copes at 1080p. But I will be getting a new PC in October with a 3070 probably or equivalent and will go 4K.
IS that the price you will pay ?

Back