Report: Nokia to launch Windows-based tablet, Lumia phablet this year

Shawn Knight

Staff member

rumor nokia windows nokia

Nokia is preparing to release a tablet running Windows 8.1 as well as a number of other devices in the coming months. The news comes courtesy of Nokia’s roadmap for the next four months which was recently seeded to fan site NokiaPowerUser via an anonymous tipster.

Specifically, the alleged roadmap claims Nokia will launch the new tablet in September followed by multiple dual-SIM Lumia-branded devices in October. It doesn’t end there, however, as the Finnish manufacturer will unveil a long-awaited phablet in November and even more devices the following month.

We’re told the tablet was expected to launch this month but was ultimately pushed back to coincide with the release date of Windows 8.1 from Microsoft. The decision to go with Windows 8.1 isn’t by coincidence as Nokia seems to have doubts about the success of Windows RT. There’s a possibility it could still arrive with WindowsRT but that seems doubtful.

The slate will launch with 4G LTE support through AT&T and will be announced during the last week of September. Cellular connectivity is an important feature, especially when you consider current Surface RT and Surface Pro tablets lack it.

We’ve heard rumors of a Lumia phablet before which lends a bit of credibility to the roadmap leak. Previous reports and leaked images point to a device with a 6-inch display that could go toe-to-toe with Samsung’s Galaxy Note line of smartphones.

As always, you should take this and any rumor with a healthy dose of salt.

Permalink to story.

I wonder if they will try to compete with the note 3. I love my 920 but I certainly understand the want for a bigger screen. Maybe that's what windows phone needs in order to let the cat out of the bag? Nokia makes quality products, I don't care if you like windows phone or not.

I'm in the market for a Windows tablet, but it's hard to get excited about the tablet without any specs.

And just think, if they did not commit to only use Microsoft, they would be selling their high quality products!

A day without apps, is like a day without a smartphone or tablet.
Local news apps? CalRoadReports app? Just how many missing apps before you no longer have a smartphone or tablet?

Wow I don't get it these companies are losing millions of dollars because they fell behind. Years ago they owned the cell phone market. Now their answer is to get into a market crowded with a items nobody makes money with?

Back