Researchers develop wireless charging system that works more than 15 feet away

Shawn Knight

Staff member

wireless power set charges smartphones room wireless charging

Wireless charging as a whole is still in its infancy but is making progress nevertheless. A team of researchers from the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology have improved upon an existing wireless charging protocol to more than triple its effective range.

Wireless charging as we know it today requires a device – a smartphone, for example – to be within an inch or so of the charging base. The system that the Korean team has come up with can work over a distance of more than 15 feet. It’s certainly impressive but it isn’t exactly ready for mainstream use just yet.

If you recall, researchers at MIT came up with a wireless charging solution in 2007 called the Coupled Magnetic Resonance System. This system was able to beam power wirelessly over a distance of around five feet and served as the basis for the latest development.

The Koreans developed a new mechanism called the Dipole Coil Resonant System to specifically solve the shortcomings of MIT’s system. It relies on a coil with two magnetic dipoles, one to induce a magnetic field and the other to receive the electrical power.

How much power the system can deliver and how efficient it is all depends on how close the target device is to the primary and secondary coils. At around three feet, the system can transmit just over 1,400 watts at 36.9 percent efficiency. When moved to a distance of 15 feet, the system can only beam 209 watts at a paltry 9.2 percent effiency.

The design is said to be slimmer than previous attempts but even still, it’s not exactly something fit for the home – yet.

Permalink to story.

So if I have one of those wireless chargers and my home is next to a powerline, I have the potential to have a free power connection? :)

Yes, and you probably have the potential for contracting cancer for free also due to the radiation. But the treatments for it won't be free. Well, unless you think the thing that gave you cancer can actually cure it as well, which many people do.

*Jack3d Ag41n*

Tesla wireless electicity works 8 miles away.
Fact. Used.
Patented.
You will never ever get it.

So if I have one of those wireless chargers and my home is next to a powerline, I have the potential to have a free power connection? :)
And your neighbours as well. They can all charge their devices from your charger and you'd be none the wiser. :)

Yes, and you probably have the potential for contracting cancer for free also due to the radiation. But the treatments for it won't be free. Well, unless you think the thing that gave you cancer can actually cure it as well, which many people do.

*Jack3d Ag41n*
:)
and on this note, have the regulators in the u.s.a. released a study on the long-time effect of cellphones, cellphone antenna towers, wireless routers on the health of Americans?

afaik, in the Philippines, there are housing subdivisions which disallow cellphone antenna towers in the neighborhood for alleged increased incidence of cancers and other health risks. no definitive proof was offered. all telecoms refuted the risks to human health.

Last edited:

This is also in reply to the person who mentioned cell tower and WiFi signals in comparison.

EMF radiation has been "Proven by some, yet dis-proven by others" to accelerate and create cancer growth. That's simply from living within 1/4 mile of high voltage power lines.

When you send this signal wirelessly, then step into the field of range you are now directing those EMF waves directly towards yourself...or "through" yourself. Albeit may be that there has been "No evidence" of direct cancer relation, it is proven that the rate of birth defects of those living closer to high voltage power lines is higher than those who do not. Coincidence? That's up to you to decide. If a government scientist found a small trace of radiation from cell phone signals do you think they would tell everyone to throw them out? Didn't think so.

With all the other waves in the air how can you narrow down the source of cancer to one specific source. Also worth noting is people who live close to high voltage power lines generally don't have the best healthcare, job, living conditions, water supply, diet, ect. So to say that high voltage power lines are a definitive source of cancer is very difficult in my opinion. What I can say is that I wouldn't want to be in the same room as those coils, let alone in-between them.

EMFs are emitting from technology is known to cause headaches, fatigue, confusion, drowsiness, etc. If people start putting these in stores or homes it could create a lot of health issues. For some reason humans love to sacrifice their health for conveniency.

EMFs are emitting from technology is known to cause headaches, fatigue, confusion, drowsiness, etc. For some reason humans love to sacrifice their health for conveniency.

I will remember that next time I turn up for work hungover!

Back