Resetting settings on Netgear N300 router...

drpepper55

Hi everyone...I have a Netgear N300 wireless router that I bought and have been using since 04/2012 together with an adtec modem on my at&t internet sevice. My modem went out and I replaced it with the now recommended replacement modem which is the Motorola 3360.
As a result and in doing so my settings are having to be reset on my N300 router for my wireless signal to be used for my wierless devices. In trying to do so and in going through the setup of the router again I've discovered in logging into the Netgear website to recover/reset the router settings for the new modem setup I'm being told by Netgear that the N300 router I bought came with only a 90 day tech support and that I can purchase a tech support extended plan for $129.99 for 1yr or $199.99 for 2yrs for them to be able to help me and synchronize and reset the router settings.
Quite honestly, I can't see spending this much extra money on support for a router that cost me $50.00 in the first place. I may as well just buy another router for $50.00 to get another 90 day tech support and to provide support in setting up the new one but it's the principle of the thing and it's such a waste to trash the present router when it is in perfect working order otherwise. Then again if this is how shoddy and shysterish Netgear's tech support is, I don't believe I would want to support them or in anyway encourage them in their use of a policy that is so unfair and lacking in flexibility to such a small assistance request to reset this modem which would not take them but maybe 5 minutes or less.
My question therefore is this: Has anyone out there experienced a similar or like situation and is there a workaround or another solution to this other than going through Netgear to reset the router's settings? Is there a way to recover or discover the settings and reset them manually myself?
I very much appreciate any help anyone can offer and I thank you all in advance for any help and any advice anyone can offer. Thanks alot...

Hey drpepper. You can manually reset your router settings to its default settings as they were when you bought it. I would disconnect the router from the modem and just use the simple procedure to reset the router. You can then access the router setup page and change the default password, network name (SSID), and set up your encryption mode (wpa2 preferred) and create a password/network key to secure your router. Save any changes you make, and when done,power off the router. Power on your modem, wait a minute,then power up the router, wait a minute, then see if you can detect your network. All of the info for doing this is in the N300 router setup manual, with the reset procedure on page 39.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNR3500LV1/WNR3500L_SM_11JUN2010.pdf

Thank you Hawk very much for your help and your suggestions. I'll try to do as you suggest when I can again get to that router. I'll let you know how it goes when I get to that machine as it is my sister's and I won't be able to work on it until next Monday at the earliest as they had to go out of town this morning til then. Thanks...

The instructions given for doing a relatively simple procedure of resetting and securing this router is just badly written, in my opinion. It just has you jumping all over the place. I would do it in this sequence:

[FONT=sans-serif]To restore the factory default configuration settings:[/FONT]
[FONT=sans-serif]1.[/FONT]
[FONT=serif]Use a sharp object such as a pen or a paper clip to press and hold the restore factory settings button, located on the rear panel of the router, for about 7 seconds, until the Power light begins to blink (see“Back Panel” on page 5).[/FONT]
[FONT=sans-serif]2.[/FONT]
[FONT=serif]Release the restore factory settings button, and wait for the router to restart, and for the Power light to stop blinking and become solid amber.[/FONT]
[FONT=serif]The factory default settings will be restored so that you can access the router from your Web browser using the factory defaults[/FONT]

[FONT=serif]3.[/FONT]
[FONT=serif]Connect your pc to one of the 4 LAN ports on the router.[/FONT]
[FONT=serif]Open Internet Explorer or any other Web browser[/FONT]

[FONT=serif][FONT=serif]Log in to the N300 Wireless router by entering[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=serif][FONT=serif]http://www.routerlogin.net[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=serif][FONT=serif]or[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=serif][FONT=serif]http://www.routerlogin.com[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=serif][FONT=serif]in the address field of your browser. Enter the default user name of admin[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=serif][FONT=serif]and default password of password.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=serif][FONT=serif]Click Enter.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=serif][FONT=serif]Once you are in,the first thing I usually do is go to the Administration tab and change the default password ( which is password ) to one of my own choosing. Save the changes.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=serif][FONT=serif]Next, I go to the wireless security settings and set the encryption mode to WPA2 Personal. A box should pop up, or is there already where you can select the encryption type TKIP-AES or similar. There should also be a box where you create a network password/passphrase ( I always use lower case for a password). On that page there should also be a box to give your network a name, also called the SSID, instead of the default ( which is NETGEAR ). Save the changes. Another item to change, usually in the Administration section, is to verify your time zone and or time is correct,save the changes, and close down your browser. I usually power off the router and modem, connect all the cables, power on the modem first and wait for a minute or so till it comes ready, then power up the wireless router and wait for it to come ready.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=serif][FONT=serif]I then see if my wireless devices detect the network name ( SSID ) I created, then try to connect. A password box should pop up where you enter the network password you created. This only has to be done once on each wireless device. That should be it. Disregard all that WPS security stuff, that is another security mode and all devices have to support WPS. Just set your system up using WPA2 encryption. Hope this helps.[/FONT][/FONT]

What to do if you cant get n300 green light to come on ,it
stays amber

Back