Resident Evil 3 remake's safe rooms aren't all that safe

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Safe rooms are a key cog in survival games. In certain titles like Left 4 Dead, entire strategies revolve around making it to the next safe space in one piece and with as many of your partners as possible (or if you are that person, running at full speed through the entire level, teammates' safety be damned).

Capcom is adding a potentially controversial twist to its next Resident Evil game by making safe rooms… well, not so safe.

As revealed in the April 2020 issue of The Official Xbox Magazine, in Capcom’s Resident Evil 3 remake, the story’s main villain – Nemesis – is apparently capable of breaking into safe rooms. You know, that one area where you can gather your wits, save your progress and most importantly, replenish your health without fear of taking damage.

Yeah, not any more.

Eliminating this safe haven changes how the game is played and kind of feels like the developer is breaking the rules. On second thought, this certainly changes things up and that’s not always a bad thing.

So I ask, what are your thoughts on this added gameplay mechanic? Is Capcom crossing the line and violating what has traditionally been a guaranteed conflict-free zone in the game or is this the kind of variety that adds just the right amount of spice to life? Let us know in the comments section below.

Capcom is scheduled to launch Resident Evil 3 on April 3, 2020.

Permalink to story.

The Resi 2 remake was really old school and stayed quite faithful. It did mean players exploited the safe rooms though.

I imagine they felt that they wanted to up the stress the player is under further by not allowing you to feel safe anywhere. It'll definitely increase the intensity of the game to the chagrin of purists no doubt.

The Resi 2 remake was really old school and stayed quite faithful. It did mean players exploited the safe rooms though.

I imagine they felt that they wanted to up the stress the player is under further by not allowing you to feel safe anywhere. It'll definitely increase the intensity of the game to the chagrin of purists no doubt.

Man, life is too stressful as it is for them to be adding more stress to it.

Now I'm confused. I was sure Nemesis was already able to enter some safe rooms in classic RE3... maybe not the original PSX version but the DC or GC ports?

Games breaking "rules" like these is a good thing, even if it doesn't always work out. There are too many games that play it safe and end up kind of samey as a result.

Back