Restarting and Windows Error on Restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronian30

I was just wondering if anyone had any idea on why every now and then when I return to my computer I find out that it has restarted on its own. When I login I get a Microsoft Windows message box saying “The system has recovered from a serious error.” Then the line below says “A log of this error has been created”. When I click to see the data error report this is the error signature that is listed:

BCCode : 100000d1 BCP1 : 0000000C BCP2 : 00000005 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : F83C9D77 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

Just wondering if anyone could direct me on how to go about fixing this error so that it will not continue to happen, any help would be greatly appreciated.

That error 0xD1 is usually caused by faulty drivers. Attach your minidumps in your next post.

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Sorry for the delay, penguins playoff game tonight, just got to my pc. Below are the dump files you asked for, there was 24 in total, but I only gave you the last 5 like you asked for.

Attachments

• 5.zip
    116.4 KB · Views: 2
Your error codes are over the place but that may be a good thing because it could mean corrupted memory is your issue. The reason I say this is because two of your errors are:

0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Straight up: This is a very difficult error to deal with because it can be due to any hardware in your system and I mean ANY. I know IT Techs that don't want to deal with it. As the definition says diagnostics "rarely lead to a clear solution."

My intent is not to be negative but to prepare you that this may take awhile. Because you have several different errors this is also a sign that corrupted memory might be your issue. So run the free and safe Memtest on your RAM.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

Ran the test, ended up with 34 passes by the time I got back to my PC. No errors were found on the memory.

Okay, next is to check your memory voltage as set in your BIOS and compare that setting to your memory manufacture's designed specs for voltage. What does the BIOS show and what is the RAM designed for?

I couldn't find voltage anywhere in bios, here is what I found listed on RAM, maybe I'm not sure on how to find what your asking for, but here is what I found:

Installed Memory:512 MB / PC2100
Bank 0: 512MB DD SDRAM
Bank 1: Not Installed
Core Version: 6.0

and listed on my Ram stick was this info:

512MB DDR 266MHz (CL 2.5)

That is old RAM due to it is PC2100. Though old it is fine because I have an old Toshiba Tecra S1 laptop that I upgraded the RAM to a full 2 gigs of new PC2100.

How old is this computer and if pre-built who made it, i.e. company?

Its an old PC, I would say maybe around 2002 I got it or so. And it is a Compaq Presario. I have a newer laptop but I still use this PC for browsing the internet and things like that.

Have you been receiving any more BSODs or have you shut down the system since running Memtest?

Find the make of your harddrive, go to the manufacture's website and download their free harddrive diagnostics utility and run both short and long tests. To find the make of your harddrive either open up your side panel and read the make of said HD (possibly a Maxtor which means Seagate's Seatools will work) or b) download and installl the free and safe SIW (System Information for Windows). It will tell your make and model of your harddrive.

I don't believe I am receiving BSOD's, just seems to be restarting on its own. When I am using the computer nothing out of the ordinary seems to happen, but when I get up and come back to use it later on, I will find it has restarted on its own. Then when I log back in I get the recovered from serious error message. But to answer your other question after running the tests and restarting the computer, it has done those restarts on its own about 2 or 3 more times.

As for the hard drive I am currently at work so I will have to get back to ya on that one. I did try an error checking thing under the hard drive properties like a week ago or so. But I will get ya the other results later this evening or tomorrow.

There is also the possibility the crashes are due to a) heat issues (have you cleaned out the dust?; all fans working?) or b) a power supply issue. Do you have any friends that have a multimeter and know how to test power supplies?

Sorry for the delay this week has just been crazy, my buddy is getting married on Friday so every night this week we have something to do with it, and being I'm in the wedding I have to attend everything. But I just wanted to let ya know I wasn't blowing you off and I appreciate all your help. I will try to get you the hard drive info you wanna by this weekend.

I was thinking heat but I have cleaned it out, and all fans seem to be working. Unfortunately I don't got anyone that can help me out on the power supply issue. Wouldn't you think if it was a over heating or power supply issue it would happen when I am using the PC too. This seems only to happen when I let the PC sit and it is not being used, then I come back to the PC to use it and it had restarted, then I have to wait for it to give me that message the system has recovered from a serious error.

But like I said just wanted to let you know I'm not blowing ya off, just been pulled in a 100 directions this week.

Ok I have the hard drive data you asked for, and again sorry for the delay. The hard drive is a Seagate 120.0GB model ST3120025A. I downloaded "seagate seatools" and ran both tests like you said and both tests passed.

So you ran S.M.A.R.T., short and long tests, correct?

What security software are your running?

Update your NIC drivers.

* Your issue appears to be in the transitioning state between active to hibernation.

Yes I ran SMART, long and short and the tools said PASS for all of them.

I am running Norton Antivirius.

And I tried to update my NIC drivers but it said that I'm using the most updated driver or something on that line. Either way it didn't give me a new driver to update.

From Microsoft concerning 0x9C errors:

* You are running the processor or mainboard beyond its specifications. For example, you are overclocking the processor or bus. We recommend that you run your hardware at the manufacturer-rated speeds.
* Noisy power, overstressed power strips, outmatched power supplies and failing power supplies can destabilize your computer. Make sure that you have a stable, reliable power supply to your computer.
* Extreme thermal conditions caused by the failure of cooling devices such as fans may damage your computer. Make sure that your cooling devices are all working.
* You have damaged memory or memory that is not the correct type for your computer. If you recently changed the memory configuration, revert to the previous configuration to determine what is wrong. Make sure that you are using the correct memory for your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back