RH Linux lilo options

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DelJo63

hum; system is a triple boot environment; the Boot Magic menu works fine
I can select any system and allow the boot loader to timeout and thus boot fine.
The login prompt is ok and login is just fine too (ie stty options are ok).

On one system, RH 6, I can not select a sub option NOR specify an alternative kernel,
as EVERYTHING I type is jibberish!

Allowing the timeout, the default system still boots fine.

puzzled, where are the stty options set for LILO and/or GRUB???

There are no TTYs in a bootloader. TTY is a OS concept, in a bootloader all you have is BIOS (or equivalent) routines.

The problem can be both with input and output. Maybe there is a problem with keyboard, motherboard or BIOS, but is could also be something with the video controller being unable to display the proper characters even if the input was correct.

All GRUB and LILO settings are kept in their respective configuration files. Usually /boot/grub/menu.lst and /etc/lilo.conf

hum; the lilo and grub configs are void of any terminal references.

not likely to be BIOS or video as the other Linux has proper console i/o.
the problem is isolated to RH 6 LILO. I should be able to specify an alternative kernel
to boot but I get an 'e' display for anything I type. If I let the menu timeout,
there's no further problem with the keyboard nor display -- most puzzling.

You could install a newer LILO or GRUB no problem..

Does the BIOS level input work OK otherwise? A la can you enter and navigate BIOS setup? Is the LILO graphical or standard text mode?

Nodsu said:
You could install a newer LILO or GRUB no problem..

Does the BIOS level input work OK otherwise? A la can you enter and navigate BIOS setup? Is the LILO graphical or standard text mode?
lilo is VGA text mode and BIOS setup et al is just fine too. Likely that reinstall of LILO
would do the trick as the Boot Magic (GUI) and Grub (VGA for the other linux) are just fine.

It's obviously back level anyway but an interesting puzzle to be solved :)

Thanks
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back