Ridding myself of Vista on a Toshiba Satellite A215 laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sal_118

Okay, First off I'd like to once again thank everyone who tried to help out on my last post.
I was unsuccessful at getting the HP to work...but to my surprise two days ago I received a small late birthday present! It's a brand new Toshiba Satellite A215 laptop. I think it's great and all, but the Vista OS is killing me! I've tried everything I can to speed it up, but no matter what i do my programs lag, the startups and shutdowns take TOO long...I've have done it all, registry defrags, disk defrags, cleanups, optimizations, set it up for best performance, the works...and still this Vista OS sucks...

I was wondering if and how I could ditch the vista OS, and downgrade back to XP on this laptop...

Any help with be greatly appreciated:)

I think the first step would be to look on the Toshiba website & see if they have drivers for that laptop for Windows XP.

you could try finding the details of the motherboard and other peripherals by running a systems detailing package such as Belarc advisor. Then visit appropriate manufacturers sites for XP drivers.

I cannot really accept that already laptops are being produced without XP drivers. I personally would beg (or scream) at Toshiba technical assistance - since your laptop is virtually new, they really should help.

Actually, I just visited Toshiba site, went to technical support and selected download files (not vista drivers), and it appears perfectly possible to select XP drivers, albeit for the A210 not 215, but it's a start. http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/download_drivers_bios.jsp?service=UK

Also, 'find your computer' yields nothing called an A215 built by Toshiba, so what the .....? Maybe it is a localised version for the US. It is possible that A210 drivers will work ok in an A215, but that is not a certainty. Again Toshiba tech help - a real person - might be disposed to help.

I suggest before you took the plunge and obtained an XP install disk, that you get more accurate info, and take a drive image first.

Well I went ahead and installed XP pro SP2.

It installed and it seems fine, I just need the drivers for my laptop...If it all fails I'll use the recovery disks to revert to vista...

Hah! It worked!!! I just installed all of the drivers for everything on the laptop!

The A210 drivers on the UK site work like a charm:)

Thanks for the link and suggestion!!

Oh man...this is awesome!! My laptop is blazing fast now!!I'm using to post this:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back