Ride-hailing usage has more than doubled over the last three years

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Services like Uber and Lyft have helped to reshape personal transportation, especially in large cities where owning a vehicle isn't always ideal. Still, not as many people have integrated the services into their daily lives as you might otherwise think.

Use of ride-hailing services like Uber and Lyft has more than doubled in the US over the last three years according to a new survey from Pew Research Center.

The survey, conducted between September 24 and October 7, 2018, found that 36 percent of US adults have used a ride-hailing service – up from just 15 percent in late 2015. Only three percent of respondents in the most recent survey said they had never heard of ride-hailing services versus 33 percent three years ago.

As was the case in 2015, ride-hailing services are most popular among younger demographics, those with college degrees and those earning more than $75,000 per year. Predictably, ride-hailing services are also more popular in urban areas with dense populations where traffic and total distance traveled make such ventures worthwhile for drivers.

While ride-hailing usage has grown significantly over the past few years, you may be surprised to learn that few adults have integrated them into their regular routine. Only one in 10 users said they use such services at least weekly and only two percent said they did so daily or nearly every day. Most (67 percent) said they use ride-hailing services less than once a month.

Lead image courtesy Adam Isfendiyar via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

I was amazed to read how many teenagers do not have, nor want a drivers license and prefer getting rides with friends or use public transportation. This means when the time comes, there will be a large supportive clientele for autonomous vehicles that those opposed have not considered. Equally surprising is how many teenagers have not indulged nor intend to have anything to do with sex ..... both were perhaps the highest goals for my generations teens.

Is it that these children have discovered something we all missed or are they so absorbed with their phones, tablets and laptops that nothing else matters? I suppose we shouldn't worry about this but I can't help but think that we are in for one heck of a downturn in our society when everything revolves around these devices.

It does make one pause and wonder if Ted Kluzenski really knew something we didn't .......

2,000 miles from home, ride-hailing was the answer to getting around without hassling rental/parking/etc. Spent less than $100 where rental would have been twice that. So consider it if you are a senior citizen from a rural area with a fixed budget and do not want to hassle navigating/parking in a distant city.

I was amazed to read how many teenagers do not have, nor want a drivers license and prefer getting rides with friends or use public transportation. This means when the time comes, there will be a large supportive clientele for autonomous vehicles that those opposed have not considered. Equally surprising is how many teenagers have not indulged nor intend to have anything to do with sex ..... both were perhaps the highest goals for my generations teens.

Is it that these children have discovered something we all missed or are they so absorbed with their phones, tablets and laptops that nothing else matters? I suppose we shouldn't worry about this but I can't help but think that we are in for one heck of a downturn in our society when everything revolves around these devices.

It does make one pause and wonder if Ted Kluzenski really knew something we didn't .......
"Absorbed with phones tablets and laptops" I d think that is at least a part of the reason why.

Well when most of today's girls (yes, I went there) are nothing but self-absorbed, narcissistic, un-educated fools I don't blame today's guys. And let's not forget that if you're a guy you're one step away from being a target of the so-called #MeToo movement these days. One wrong look and "Oh my God, I call harassment!". Throw in no fault divorces and oh yeah, you can plainly see why men are walking away from the female controlled plantation. Today, until society gets a major reboot, MGTOW is the only safe choice for men.

Unless of course you like being dragged through the court of public opinion, divorce court, having to pay child support, alimony, etc. <sarcasm>Fun times.</sarcasm>

The girls in my school are as @trparky put it self adsorbed they care so much about Instagram followers and whatever crap.
This is the problem, they are so absorbed into this useless crap. It is very much an addiction, they are addicted to the dopamine hit of getting a "like" that they need ever increasing amounts of these "likes" and the associated dopamine hits to feel as if they are worth it.

Back