Rivals gain on Dell's lagging PC shipments in 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Acer has shown substantial growth over the past couple years, acquiring several PC makers and delivering competitive products as it strives to take HP's number one crown. Last December, market researcher iSuppli reported that in Q3 2009 the company actually moved one step closer to this goal by overtaking Dell's quarterly shipments for the very first time. Now the numbers for the whole year are in, and after repeating the feat in Q4, it seems even HP better take a look over its shoulder as Acer is coming up fast from behind.

Dell managed to hold on to the second-place spot by a mere 0.2% margin in 2009, but it was also the only top-five vendor to see shipments decline. The company moved 39.9 million PCs, a drop of 9.9% from 2008 that was good enough for a 12.9% share of the market. HP managed to extend its lead by taking an 18.9% market share. Meanwhile, Acer boosted shipments by 21% and grew its share by more than two points to 12.7%.

Acer's success was driven by the notebook PC market. In fact, according to the breakdown provided by iSuppli, notebooks accounted for nearly 80% of the Taiwanese's firm shipments last year. But despite its focus on mobile, desktop shipments actually did relatively well, remaining flat in 2009 versus a 15% decline for the market.

Lenovo and Toshiba also increased market share, grabbing 8.2% and 5.1%, respectively. Overall, PC shipments worldwide actually managed to rebound in late 2009 and grew 1% compared to 2008. That's quite impressive considering the year was off to a very bleak start amid a global economic recession.

Permalink to story.

Dell has been falling apart as of late. My company (with over 1,500 PC's) recently ended their contract with Dell as their primary supplier. Poor customer service, delayed deliveries and better quality products available were the reasons.

TomSEA said:
Dell has been falling apart as of late. My company (with over 1,500 PC's) recently ended their contract with Dell as their primary supplier. Poor customer service, delayed deliveries and better quality products available were the reasons.

I agree, my company is doing the same thing.

Yep, the mighty have indeed fallen. My last 3 laptops have been Dells, and this is the first time I'll be shopping everywhere BUT at Dell for my next unit... Although, that little Alienware unit may lure me to the dark side, but that's the only one I would consider from the Dell camp - I still don't consider it a true Dell, the workmanship just seems much better than typical Dell laptops these days (have a few friends with the new Alienware units, they are solid).

I have always been a fan of Acer and I think they put out a very good product at a very low price. It should not surprise us that Dell has seen its shipments drop. Dell is largely used in the corporate world and 2009 was not a good year for IT budgets as the recession halted a lot of IT spending.

I really like what Acer has to offer me as a consumer and i even recommended my friends to a laptop from them if they want the bang for the buck when it comes to low/mid end products.

@Tomsea and Compdata
I work for an I.T. solutions firm in Maryland and must tell you that DELL is by far leaps and bounds ahead of their compettion with products and support. If you dissatisfied with DELL wait until you have to deal with Acer, Gateway, HP, Lenovo. I guarantee that both of your companies will be back with DELL in less than two years. Just for the record we work with all of the manufacturers so I am not supposed to place one company over the other, but we have seen it time and time again with people switching to trashy Acers and unreliable HPs and running back after their first tech support call. Think I am lying. Bing or Google it.

MikLawry said:
@Tomsea and Compdata
I work for an I.T. solutions firm in Maryland and must tell you that DELL is by far leaps and bounds ahead of their compettion with products and support. If you dissatisfied with DELL wait until you have to deal with Acer, Gateway, HP, Lenovo. I guarantee that both of your companies will be back with DELL in less than two years. Just for the record we work with all of the manufacturers so I am not supposed to place one company over the other, but we have seen it time and time again with people switching to trashy Acers and unreliable HPs and running back after their first tech support call. Think I am lying. Bing or Google it.

Have only used dell and hp, have fixed many different pc's though, acer, compaq, etc, in the beginning acer was crap IMO, and i cant stand dell's support, calling them or the program that runs on every dell computer(unless its disabled). That being said, every pc manufacturer bogs their pc's with bloatware, some worse than others. Acer's product seems to have improved greatly and so far my hp is running great at only 14 months old, had a hard drive issue and they replaced the drive and extended my warranty another year. so kudos to hp.

I've never been impressed with Dell. Ever since my sister took to financing a Dell home PC for 4 years (something that I gave heck to my sister for being a bad financial move), I've been even more cautious of such a company. I suppose other companies do the same thing. But where do think Dell got all their advertising dollars from? Then they get lazy with their comfortable market dominance and build crappier machines and lose customer confidence. The caution is in being number 1 and staying there for the right reasons; quality of product, price, and service are some.

my experience with DELL in the past 2 months; purchased two systems, one immediate tech call replaced the MOBBO; 2nd one would not boot after 2 weeks use. The customer service speak with such thick "english" accents that it's virtually impossible to understand their suggestions; coupled with the failure of the systems too, and coupled with a new operating system (Windows 7) I finally gave up after sending the 2nd one back. I have had 2 Dell systems previously; all my lcd monitor (3) are Dell; They have fallen off precipitously since my last system buys.

I ordered a -Quad system that worked out-of-the-box from Costco's catalog (figured I couldn't do worse than Dell's recent experience) and I love the new Quad system from Costco's supplier; it's got 2 GB of RAM DDR3 and is fast and reliable in its opening day operation and it boots up after shut down which is way better than Dell's performance. It's the one that has a one TB hard drive and 2 GB RAM.

@MikLawry i work for a company that uses primarily Dell's and some Lenova. Dell support for businesses is great, on the consumer side it is terrible. I have computers in my office, all are dells, from the last 5 years and several different models and all have the same problem, bad caps. Dell replaced all of our Motherboards at one point and ever single one has the same problem again. Dell may have great support, but their products are begining to lack on the desktop side. Server side I have never had a single issue. As for the other computer makers. Acer has great support. Go to fixmyacer.com and everything is taken care of in minutes, I will admit in the 5 years or so I've owned acers I 've never had to call support so i don't know how that is only that the website works very well and my product was fixed promptly. HP/Compaq has terrible support. Lenova, I have these in my office don't know how support is I've never had one have any failure.

What? Did anyone read the part where 80% of Acer's sales were laptops? NOOO, makes sense but you still can't beat the customization and price of a desktop.

acer is surely having a good time with their sales rising slowly! i think that dell can soon recover the share it has lost once it launches some good product! btw dell offers more features than any other brand at that price! ( except acer i think so)

The giant begins to fall... dell has got to change their buisness model if they want any chance of being competitive

Acer has a good quality and in fact their products has lesser percentage to fail especially in heavy duties. I like Acer than any other computer companies and Acer really proves that they have the potential to fight back from any other giant companies like HP, Dell and etc. But I know that every products has a unique features and statistics and I am looking forward for the later news.

Thank you........

Acer definitely has quite a number of great systems, despite all that pretty sure they don't have a customer support as good as Dell's even if Acer does reach the top it won't be there for long. Whatever Dell is doing work they need to fix it, and as for hp well heh. I don't know they're a good company you never know but I doubt they'll lose there spot as #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back