Roadmap reveals Intel Broadwell NUCs coming Q4 2014

Scorpus

Staff member

If you've been looking for a small form factor PC recently, chances are you've stumbled upon Intel's Next Unit of Computing (NUC), a tiny 4x4" PC powered by either 'Ivy Bridge' or 'Haswell' low-power parts. NUCs haven't been hugely popular, but they do provide an interesting solution for some applications (such as HTPCs) that require power efficient parts in a small space.

A new roadmap has revealed when we can expect new NUCs, starting in Q1 this year with the 'Forest Canyon' platform. Unlike other NUCs that use Intel's performance-class Haswell CPUs, Forest Canyon will be an entry-level NUC with a 'Bay Trail' Celeron CPU, alongside support for HDMI, Ethernet, USB 3.0, Infrared and 2.5" drives.

In Q4 2014 we should expect to see 'Broadwell'-based NUCs on the market under the codename 'Rock Canyon'. Core i3 and Core i5 variants will be available, supporting 4K and triple-screen setups through miniDP, M.2 and 2.5" drives, and USB 3.0. There will also be built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, specifications of which weren't revealed, plus replaceable lids supporting NFC or wireless charging.

As for commercial NUCs, the roadmap reveals 'Thin Canyon' Bay Trail Atom units will be available in Q1 2014 with 4 GB of eMMC, HDMI, VGA, eDP, and a fanless design targeted at digital signage and kiosks. A more powerful Haswell NUC under the 'Maple Canyon' name will be released towards the end of Q4 2014, with a similar setup to the consumer NUC but with two miniDP ports and support for vPro and Trusted Platform Module.

With Intel reportedly targeting a Q4 2014 release of Broadwell parts in general, it seems their NUCs will be ready alongside the launch of mobile U-series and Y-series CPUs, and before the launch of desktop-class parts.

Permalink to story.

I've been salivating over these for awhile now. But they won't slow down the rate of release enough for me to be comfortable in purchasing one. Probably gonna put off purchasing whats available now for one of these in Q4. If only Blu-Ray capacities would increase this quickly. Give me 1TB Blu-Ray discs and I'll shut up forever. I promise. Forever, meaning until I think I need more space.

"NUCs haven't been hugely popular, but they do provide an interesting solution for some applications (such as HTPCs) that require power efficient parts in a small space."

That is changing quickly my friend. Intel is pricing the NUCs pretty fairly at this point in the game. The latest Celeron based models selling at $149.00 price point are going like hot-cakes from what I can tell. I have been thinking about buying one of these. The single-channel memory limitation is very discouraging but then again the price is right. Decisions, decisions.

"Unlike other NUCs that use Intel's performance-class Haswell CPUs, Forest Canyon will be an entry-level NUC with a 'Bay Trail' Celeron CPU, alongside support for HDMI, Ethernet, USB 3.0, Infrared and 2.5" drives."

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't these already available on the market for like the past month now?

Last edited:
Can't wait to get one of these. My old DVD player just broke down, and I'm considering getting an Intel NUC to set up as my HTPC.

Back