Rocket League is raking in the cash for developer Psyonix

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Is Rocket League on its way to becoming the next Minecraft? It’s far too early to know for sure but one thing is for certain: it’s off to a smashing good start.

Developer Psyonix recently revealed that it has already sold five million copies of the game, generating more than $110 million in revenue in the process. That’s up from four million copies sold and $70 million in revenue in December 2015. What’s more, Psyonix has sold more than five million DLC units across PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.

Speaking with Forbes, Psyonix Vice President Jeremy Dunham said their numbers are actually going up, not down, which is not very common for a game that’s 10 months old. In fact, Rocket League had more than five million active players as of last month.

Less than a year old at this point, Rocket League debuted as a free download for PlayStation Plus subscribers. The game was downloaded roughly six million times as a freebie before Psyonix even started charging for it.

Dunham said that Steam accounts for 36 percent of Rocket League’s active player base with Xbox One coming in at third place with 22 percent of the pie. That’s impressive considering the game didn’t find its way to Microsoft’s console until February of this year. The remaining 42 percent of active gamers play via PS4.

These days, however, PC is the top-selling platform with the most engaged audience.

Permalink to story.

No surprise here, the game is just a fun game to play with your friends, doesn't have a huge learning curve to be an average player and the price is reasonable, more so if you get it on sale like I did with my friends, came out to like $12 each, and that first night we played it for almost 5 hours straight. I've yet to even play the game without my friends online in a random match making system because you need coordination with your team mates, what better way than have them be your friends and all be on voice chat coordinating plays. Also it works great split screen across two monitors with a couple xbox controllers, so with three good PCs you can play 6 players 3v3 or with two PCs play 4v4 online. Well worth the price of admission, and easily recommend this game to anyone who has friends, or if you don't?

No surprise here, the game is just a fun game to play with your friends, doesn't have a huge learning curve to be an average player and the price is reasonable, more so if you get it on sale like I did with my friends, came out to like $12 each, and that first night we played it for almost 5 hours straight. I've yet to even play the game without my friends online in a random match making system because you need coordination with your team mates, what better way than have them be your friends and all be on voice chat coordinating plays. Also it works great split screen across two monitors with a couple xbox controllers, so with three good PCs you can play 6 players 3v3 or with two PCs play 4v4 online. Well worth the price of admission, and easily recommend this game to anyone who has friends, or if you don't?

Yea... I tried it solo for like 20 minutes and returned it. Steam refunded me. I dont see the hype. There's other games I'd rather play with friends, we must be the odd ones out. lol I guess a lot of people are use to hitting balls into goals.

Lol I guess a lot of people are use to hitting balls into goals.[/QUOTE]
Soccer (football) is the world's most popular sport, after all.

I understand if you find this hard to believe but I think it's improved my kids real soccer skills, and they weren't any slouches to begin with. the simple reason being the cars in the game can't sidestep. the forwards hold their position in the center and wait for the cross. they don't go out the the wings and try and turn it back in. they just drive or boost the ball straight into the net as the ball crosses in front of the goal. I should assign this game to all my kids teammates.

Me and my friend played it during free weekend to try it out and it was really fun. Probably gonna buy it in the future when I get bored of what I have now.

Lol I guess a lot of people are use to hitting balls into goals.

Maybe it's a bit boring to watch since there are only 2-3 goals per match. Only people who understand it in depth can watch the whole game entertained. Playing football youself however is really fun and it's much better than what Americans have.

Me and my friend played it during free weekend to try it out and it was really fun. Probably gonna buy it in the future when I get bored of what I have now.

Maybe it's a bit boring to watch since there are only 2-3 goals per match. Only people who understand it in depth can watch the whole game entertained. Playing football youself however is really fun and it's much better than what Americans have.

I do play football (soccer) and I enjoy it. I also play rocket league and enjoy it. I did a bad job quoting someone else who didn't like it and said "lol I bet a lot of people are used to hitting balls into goals."[/QUOTE]

Yea... I tried it solo for like 20 minutes and returned it. Steam refunded me. I dont see the hype. There's other games I'd rather play with friends, we must be the odd ones out. lol I guess a lot of people are use to hitting balls into goals.

I can understand it not being as fun when your playing it solo and getting stuck with random people online, the whole appeal to me is the ability to play as a group locally online, or in a private chat. You start to feed off of yours friends emotions and as a whole everyone ends up having a great time, this is something that only Super Smash can deliver, or at least what it reminded me of pretty closely, not entirely the same mechanics but still the emotional level is pretty close.

Back