Rocki is the inexpensive wireless music streaming solution that uses your existing audio system

Shawn Knight

Staff member

rocki wifi-enabled speakers wi-fi kickstarter

Wireless Bluetooth speakers like the four from Brookstone, Jambox and Logitech we looked at as part of our iPad accessory survival guide last year most certainly make it somewhat easy to stream music from your phone or tablet to a better sounding device but even still, there are plenty of drawbacks.

For one, there’s the hassle of having to pair your device with the speaker system each time you want to use it. And once paired, sound quality still isn’t all that great. Plus, there’s the cost of the wireless speaker itself which can be rather expensive, especially if you already own a decent sound system at home.

The team over at Rocki was equally frustrated with these same problems which is why they came up with the idea to develop an alternative. It’s called the Rocki Wifi Music System and instead of building yet another speaker system, they created a dongle that’s perhaps best described as a Chromecast for music.

The Rocki dongle connects to your sound system using either a 3.5mm connector or RCA connectors and instead of using Bluetooth, it relies on Wi-Fi technology for improved range and quality. The free Rocki smartphone app lets users stream music from their phone to the dongle which then plays through the connected audio equipment. It’s that easy.

rocki wifi-enabled speakers wi-fi kickstarter

Best of all, Rocki is affordable at just $45 a pop for early backers. At this price, you can purchase multiple dongles to deck out several rooms in your house for less than it might cost for a single higher-end wireless Bluetooth speaker.

Rocki expects to ship the first wave of dongles next month with a broader rollout in January 2014 if they meet their funding goal of $50,000. As of writing, the campaign has raised just over $18,000 from more than 260 backers with 24 days to go.

Permalink to story.

I listen to music a lot via Pandora, and Google Play.. I can use my current system to stream this media to my current sound system via Chromecast already.

I also have a Altec Lansing Inmotion Air speaker that I find to be extremely easy to pair up for any other use.

I paid $35 for the Chromecast, and $40 for the speaker.... So this device will cost me more and be of less use to me.

It's an interesting idea... and I think there maybe better uses if they had a bluetooth model. I mean... these bluetooth speakers are becoming popular for a reason... or so I thought...

Cool, idea, but the name is Rocki? Is that pronounced 'Rocky'? Rocky is a word used to describe something that doesn't work very well. And spelled with an I at the end, it kinda sounds like an 80's hair band's female lead singer.

Back