Roku is dominating the US streaming market and it isn't even close

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Recap: Roku announced plans to lend its streaming platform to smart TV makers in 2014 and has found tremendous success with partners including TCL, Insignia, Sharp and Philips, among others.

More than 30 percent of streaming TV platforms sold in the US during the first quarter of 2019 used Roku's operating system according to a recent report from Strategy Analytics.

With the impressive showing, Roku further extended its lead in the streaming TV platform category. According to the research firm, there are now more than 41 million Roku-based streaming devices in use including standalone Roku media streamers and Roku-based smart TVs which accounts for 15.2 percent of all media streaming devices.

Strategy Analytics reports that Roku now enjoys a 36 percent lead over the next major platform, Sony’s PlayStation, which is expected to stretch to nearly 70 percent by the end of the year.

David Watkins, a director at Strategy Analytics and the report’s author, credited Roku’s extensive content offering, comprehensive search function and intuitive UI as well as affordable hardware and regularly updated software as key factors in its success.

Roku aside, Amazon’s Fire TV OS was the second most sold streaming platform, capturing 12 percent of quarterly sales. Samsung’s Tizen finished third with 11 percent of sales and devices running Google (Android and Chromecast) accounted for nine percent of sales.

Masthead credit: Roku Ultra on display at Costco by Eric Broder Van Dyke

Permalink to story.

Roku doesn't even set the bar very high with ads everywhere, and non-standardized interfaces on all versions. They are annoying to use but get the job done... but if Roku is barely trying, what does that say about all the others???

I'm reasonably happy with my Roku but it does have the occasional bug so not perfect. I've written them many times and suggested they add Public Television to their stable of channels but for some reason NONE of the services have done that. What's up with PT? I would think that would make a great addition to ANY of the services out there ......

Roku doesn't even set the bar very high with ads everywhere, and non-standardized interfaces on all versions. They are annoying to use but get the job done... but if Roku is barely trying, what does that say about all the others???
You're absolutely right. I have 2 Roku TVs, and another one with built in software that's awful. Roku might be able to the best, and is certainly the best one I have used. However, that's like trying to pick which poop has the least odor.

I've written them many times and suggested they add Public Television to their stable of channels but for some reason NONE of the services have done that. What's up with PT? I would think that would make a great addition to ANY of the services out there ......
Have to agree with you, the inclusion of PBS channel's would be a value-add to any streaming service.

Sorry I don't believe this. Most of my customers and friends have the Amazon Fire stick. Best $25 I ever spent with the 2nd gen the 3rd gen 4K to me isn't worth it yet.

I live in a large house. My man cave is at the other end of the house down stairs and my signal is very strong for it to go through may layers of wood panels, layer's of sheet rock ( and the signal going through my garage it's very thick 5/8 sheet rock and never had a buffer problem.) " Knock on wood."

You're absolutely right. I have 2 Roku TVs, and another one with built in software that's awful. Roku might be able to the best, and is certainly the best one I have used. However, that's like trying to pick which poop has the least odor.
Try an Nvidia Shield. Whichever cheapest unit they have. worth it.

Well, looking that I have 3 of them in my house they deserve it, Roku its awesome.

You mean the Shield? No confirmation yet, but chances are good that the rumors have some truth to them.
Yep. That's precisely what I was referring to. You know they have to have a preproduction prototype lying around a lab somewhere. Am I buying Nvidia during the dips? You better believe it.

Sorry I don't believe this. Most of my customers and friends have the Amazon Fire stick. Best $25 I ever spent with the 2nd gen the 3rd gen 4K to me isn't worth it yet.

I live in a large house. My man cave is at the other end of the house down stairs and my signal is very strong for it to go through may layers of wood panels, layer's of sheet rock ( and the signal going through my garage it's very thick 5/8 sheet rock and never had a buffer problem.) " Knock on wood."
I have a Roku TV with a 4K firestick, and Xbox 1S plugged into it. The Firestick is for "movies"(wink wink)

I'm not a tech whiz but I'm glad someone said this and I am finding out it is true. After thinking about it and hearing the raves, I finally bought a smart TV in 2018 when I bought a house whose loft wasn't wired for cable. I bought a TCL because it was cheaper. It's that simple. This year I bought a Samsung for the great room and a Vizio for my bedroom(I had wanted another TCL but they didn't have one small enough). The TCL with Roku is far superior in the selection of apps and in performance. I regret paying so much for the Samsung name and the TV freezes nearly every time I watch PlutoTV and the selection of apps is poor. On occasion, I have had to unplug the TV to unfreeze it. I just got the Vizio about 2 months ago, and again the selection of apps is minimal though at least I can cast Sling TV from my tablet but having to select a show to cast interferes with my channel surfing habit. The Vizio also runs the commercials over and over again while I am watching an on-demand cooking show app and interferes with the ability to watch the show. On a separate note, I don't like not being allowed to record ESPN programs (ESPN programs account for over half of my DVR recordings) so for me, I still need cable anyways.

Back