Roku is the most popular streaming media player in the US

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Roku has captured more than a third of the set-top box market in the US, a lead that’s only increasing according to the latest industry report.

Market research and consulting agency Parks Associates recently revealed that as of the first quarter, Roku devices are owned by 37 percent of US broadband households. That’s up from one-third in Q1 2016, the firm highlights.

Of the other major set-top boxes, only Amazon’s Fire TV also saw its market share climb over the past year – from 16 percent to 24 percent. According to the firm, this was enough to elevate Amazon above Google in adoption.

For the record, Google’s Chromecast accounted for 18 percent share while Apple’s share dropped to 15 percent.

Glenn Hower, a senior analyst with Parks Associates, notes in the report that Roku emerged as an early US market leader for streaming media players and has held firmly to that position ever since. Higher-priced boxes like the Apple TV, Hower adds, have not been able to keep up with low-cost and readily available Roku devices.

Roku’s cheapest option, for example, is the Roku Express stick which will set you back less than $30. Apple’s set-top box, meanwhile, starts at $149.

Other interesting tidbits from the report include the fact that one-third of US broadband households now own a streaming media player and 45 percent own a smart TV. Also, nearly a third of households own a gaming console.

Permalink to story.

This doesn't surprise me. I bought a chromecast and firestick due to their cheap pricing and was not impressed with either, though they did a decent job. Both were missing content while Amazon's "content store" first approach was particularly egregious.

The Roku stays above that fray and offers nearly every channel available on the other streamers. Their app is pretty good as well when you cannot find the remote. Most of the new cheaper devices are much faster and more responsive than previous versions: the 2016 Roku stick that replaced the purple model was a huge upgrade.

Unless you're locked into Amazon's, Apple's, or Google's Ecosystem I recommend trying the Roku first. It's even built into TVs you can buy on Amazon, Best Buy, or Walmart.

I have a TCL Roku TV(you can cast to it) with a Firestick, and Uverse 450, but I see Amazon taking the hell over. More and more people are buying them to add Kodi. BestBuys and Targets in the Chicago area keep them behind glass or at the service desk, because of theft. A guy in front of me brought 6(I bet to sell on CL). Roku is good if you know how to add private channels. I only use the Roku side of the TV to watch Plex, and my cable channel's stuff that's not in Uverse's ondemand. Some of the app/channel makers on Roku are just farking lazy. The NBC(SyFy, USA) owned apps just won't hold my credentials for shiat.
/I just tried the casting(5 minutes ago) from my Android to my TV and it works well.

Back