Router/splitter problem

Zurles

Hey,

I'm a uni student living a flat with 4 other people. We all hoard the internet and all 5 of us have wired connections, problem is there only 4 wired slots in the router between 5 of us.

I've bought a splitter from Ebay and all I received was the local network and restricted/no internet access. I've searched a bit and i'm basically confused what splitter do i need to buy to effectively get 5 internet slots from a 4 slot router.

Thanks!

Who is your internet provider ? How many computers would be connected to the unit at one time... maximum?
Start your research with something simple like this Item
Netgear EN108TP Ethernet Network Hub 8 Port 10Base-T that you will find a lot of similar and better products on eBay, then look for "Ethernet Extenders", some of which will have four, 8 or 16 ports... The good ones will come with drivers and instructions for setup.
There are some very good little books such as the Internet for Dummies or Ethernet for dummies... usually for less than $6 which will help you find the way.
There are tricks about cable placement and connectors.
Good luck. Let us know what you worked out.

Virgin media is the internet provider, 5 will be connected at once max.

I have to buy a hub? can't a small splitter work to just add 1 more connection?

If you want it to work well, get something that connects to the router that can equally split all the cables to each user... It will save you less trouble and argument in the long run.

the primary requisite is a modem->router

plug your hub directly into one of the router slots (leaving typically three for existing connections).

now connect the other two systems into the hub

DONE.

The router will provide DHCP services for all system (even wifi) and fill the TCP settings with the gateway, mask, DNS settings and a unique IP address for each.

Back