Rumor: Android 2.4 to ship this summer

Emil

Staff

I scream, you scream, we all scream for... Android 2.4. The latest rumor tells us that Android 2.4 is codenamed Ice Cream, and will be released this summer, according to "multiple sources familiar with the matter" cited by Pocket-lint.

More specifically, Android 2.4 will arrive in either June or July. The sources would not reveal what changes we could expect in the new version, but we already have an idea given that early screenshots of it leaked out last week. The early build reportedly brought a noticeable speed increase over Android 2.3, including no delays when switching between windows and apps. There were also new animations when moving shortcuts and widgets around the homescreen, a software-based noise reduction option for voice calls, and references to video chat in the menus.

At the time, we speculated that version 2.4 would simply bring fixes and minor changes to 2.3, but if it's getting a new codename and it isn't being released for another six months or so, it looks like 2.4 will be a significant release. Three months ago, we heard that Honeycomb's successor would be Ice Cream, but the version number was supposed to be 4.0. This all apparently changed when Android 3.0 (codenamed Honeycomb) broke off and became tablet-only.

Permalink to story.

Pffft! Android? Symbian 3 craps all over that! I should know I've had Android 2.2 and Symbian 3.

Froyo was made available through Kies on 24.12.2010 at least here in the UK on Orange. I don't have a rooted phone or anything. Check in Kies if you don't yours available yet.

more than likely it will not even officially get 2.3. unofficially however, you can go to any one of the numerous developer sites (xda-developers to name one) and you can be sure someone will be working on porting it over. they have 2.3 semi working for the original droid already, and I have a pretty much working stable build that I can use for a daily driver on my HTC Incredible.

It's a T-MO Galaxy S Vibrant. Every month they says it's going to next month....bastards.

Well.....you could flash another rom :p. I've had froyo before anyone else I know because I just flashed the euro one before canada got froyo. Search Darky's rom. Best ROM for the galaxy S hands down.

Well.....you could flash another rom :p. I've had froyo before anyone else I know because I just flashed the euro one before canada got froyo. Search Darky's rom. Best ROM for the galaxy S hands down.

Yeah, I've thought about doing that. My company supplies the phone, if I break it I have to pay for it. So, dunno.

Back