Rumor mill: Nvidia AIB partners clearing stock to prepare for RTX 3000 launch in Q3

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: We know that Nvidia is going to launch its Ampere-based RTX 3000 graphics cards this year, but it hasn’t yet revealed when. According to a new report, they will arrive sometime in the third quarter, and add-in board partners are already clearing stock in preparation.

The claim comes from a now deleted China Times post, which stated that three new generations of Ampere cards would arrive in the second half of the third quarter, so we might see them launch sometime around September.

It’s presumed that Nvidia will repeat what it did with the RTX 2000-series cards and reveal the RTX 3080 Ti, RTX 3080, and RTX 3070 first, with the RTX 3060 following quite a few months later.

The report also alleges that Taiwan manufacturers Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI are trying to clear their stock of current Nvidia cards. In the case of Asus, it has cut the price of the RTX 2060 to NT$10,000, or around US$330, while the RTX 2080 is down to NT$16,000, or US$538.

It’s important to take the report with a grain of salt, especially as it’s been deleted. However, the third quarter of the year is when many expect Ampere to launch, mostly because it’s presumed that the Covid-19 disruption will be (hopefully) gone by that time.

We’ll find out about Ampere and Nvidia’s plans for its new architecture in two weeks from today, when the company will deliver a keynote at its annual Graphics Technology Conference (GTC) that has the byline “get amped.”

Permalink to story.

This article makes NO sense at all. Nvidia does not produce any vanilla 2080's anymore, and vendors likely only have stock of 2080 Super, which is a different chip model number from vanilla 2080. Everybody already cleared stock on 2070 and 2080 when the super versions came out.

And NOBODY is discounting 2070 Super or 2080 Super online yet. Not Newegg or Amazon.

My 1070ti has served me well, but cyber punk 2077 is right around the corner and I expect to lose a few hundred hours to that game.

I'm stuck between not liking nVidia as a company but really enjoying my ownership experience with their cards. So I'll probably get a 3080 for cyber punk but after I don't see myself gaming much anymore

I LOVE Nvidia for giving us such spectacular hardware.

Hopefully all of you bought the dip in stocks back in March.

We're at/around $300/ share right now.

The 3000 series is gonna be huge!

Plenty of 2080Ti, Super and 2080 going to be put up for sale for those of you with lower-end cards.

This is frustrating, I want a new RTX GPU now whilst I’m in lockdown for minecraft, I’m a huge minecraft player and would love to start playing with RTX on. But I’m unlikely to want to buy a new RTX card when I know new ones are just a few months away. But by then (hopefully) il be back in Asia and I won’t be using my desktop much at all!

I guess that might be why the report has been deleted. There is increased demand for games consoles, graphics cards etc during this lockdown but Nvidia knows that users refrain from buying if they know something better is coming. They want to sell as much as they can before they drop 3xxx on us.

This is frustrating, I want a new RTX GPU now whilst I’m in lockdown for minecraft, I’m a huge minecraft player and would love to start playing with RTX on. But I’m unlikely to want to buy a new RTX card when I know new ones are just a few months away. But by then (hopefully) il be back in Asia and I won’t be using my desktop much at all!

I guess that might be why the report has been deleted. There is increased demand for games consoles, graphics cards etc during this lockdown but Nvidia knows that users refrain from buying if they know something better is coming. They want to sell as much as they can before they drop 3xxx on us.

I'll buy a 2060 when it reaches around 200-250.

Covid19 isnt going anywhere and will not be gone by Sept. Itll be awhile for a vaccine is available. Maybe next summer we will have one.
As long as the world does what it needs to do, it can control covid with minimal interruptions.

I always hear about price cuts, but NEVER see them and in fact often see retail prices HIGHER then they were at launch. Specifically pertaining to Intel and Nvidia hardware. I expect 10th gen Intel and RTX 3k to be hard af to even get at launch and significantly higher priced than msrp. Like 50% higher at least.

nVidia is just doing a re-brand of their 2000 series, & lowering prices. To compete with the consoles that are coming.

These are not new dGPUs.

"Clearing stock" implies lowering prices or something to that tune.

But I don't see any nVidia cards on sale anywhere. Heck, almost all are still selling above MSRP!

It looks like these will be in Laptops just about the time I'm ready to replace my current beast.
Also, AMD will undoubtedly have a bigger presence in the Laptop GPU market.

Could my next one be an all AMD piece?
My Son already pulled that cord a year and a half ago with his Acer Predator Ryzen 7 2700\Vega 56.

Covid19 isnt going anywhere and will not be gone by Sept. Itll be awhile for a vaccine is available. Maybe next summer we will have one.
As long as the world does what it needs to do, it can control covid with minimal interruptions.
Real scientists and doctors say it will be much longer than that for a vaccine - if one is ever developed that is proven through clinical trials to be effective. Obviously, injecting clorox or lysol will not do anything except get anyone who is doing so a trip to the emergency room or a Darwin Award.

""<presumed that the Covid-19 disruption will be (hopefully) gone by that time.>""
This is the hope of everybody.
Sadly collective immunity cannot happens cuz a good % of infected people do not develop enough antibodies. Add to this that you remain contagious for a long period (40+ days). Also add an effective vaccine will take time to create, surely not within the year... as a result we will have a virus that stay in the population. The only way out of this is the use of masks, so that nobody can spread the virus. Doing so we can repoen. Sadly there are a lot of fools who arent going to use them or cannot use them properly. For such reason we need a proper education from government through medias, and rules that force people to wear masks. And also police who check and do bill eventually somebody doesnt wear it.

""<presumed that the Covid-19 disruption will be (hopefully) gone by that time.>""
This is the hope of everybody.
Sadly collective immunity cannot happens cuz a good % of infected people do not develop enough antibodies. Add to this that you remain contagious for a long period (40+ days). Also add an effective vaccine will take time to create, surely not within the year... as a result we will have a virus that stay in the population. The only way out of this is the use of masks, so that nobody can spread the virus. Doing so we can repoen. Sadly there are a lot of fools who arent going to use them or cannot use them properly. For such reason we need a proper education from government through medias, and rules that force people to wear masks. And also police who check and do bill eventually somebody doesnt wear it.

Yes no one likes the gestapo, and that's what your asking the police to do.

Please stick to the topic about the RTX 3000 launch. Thanks, folks.

At the beginning, I predicted that COVID19 would be much like the war in Vietnam: We'd devote enormous resources to fighting it, then after a while declare victory and surrender.

Whatever the stage of treatments and vaccines, I expect supply lines will be back to normal by fall. With growing supplies, prices should drop as they usually do as newer models are released.

I'm planning on building a new computer in the fall but will not do so if the prices are as high as they are now. Right now, AMD 5700XT's are going for about $400. I'm hoping that in the fall I can get one for less, or a better board for the $400, perhaps one of the new RTX3000's.

I'm wondering how expensive these RTX 3000 cards will be, I'm expecting pretty hefty prices. It seems, so far, most likely that these 3000 cards will bring in some important new (and hence expensive) stuff.

The 3000 series is gonna be huge!

Plenty of 2080Ti, Super and 2080 going to be put up for sale for those of you with lower-end cards.

Isn't it unlikely for lower-end card owners to be able to (reasonably) afford a 2080Ti/Super card, even if there's a sale? RTX cards seem to drop only a bit in price, even if they're pre-owned. And those cards are very expensive.

Back