Rumor: Windows 8.1 Update 1 to boot to desktop by default

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft is gearing up to release Windows 8.1 Update 1 in a few months time, and some of the biggest changes that have been rumored focus on addressing issues raised through user feedback. The latest piece of information, courtesy of The Verge, claims that Windows 8.1 Update 1 will boot to the desktop by default, completely bypassing the 'Metro' interface.

The option to boot to the desktop was first introduced in Windows 8.1, allowing those who didn't use the Start screen to avoid it entirely. However the setting was somewhat hidden in the taskbar and navigation properties, which meant that many new users still found themselves confused by the Metro interface and how it operates on desktop PCs. By enabling the option by default, the experience for keyboard and mouse users will improve.

This change in Windows 8.1 Update 1 won't be the only to focus on keyboard and mouse users. Microsoft is expected to introduce a power menu and search button right on the Start screen, mouse-friendly context menus will be introduced, and there will likely be an option to pin Windows 8 'Metro' apps to the taskbar.

In future updates, including Windows 9 'Threshold', we can also look forward to the return of the Start menu, and the ability to run Metro apps in windows on the desktop, at least according to rumors.

The launch of Windows 8 has been particularly troubling for Microsoft, with the company spending most of its time addressing feedback in subsequent updates, such as Update 1. The Metro interface has been praised for its versatility and usefulness on touch-enabled devices, but was criticized heavily by desktop users for being unfriendly to their setups. Booting to the desktop by default is just another backpedal that Microsoft is looking to make to appease users, most of which still use a keyboard and mouse.

Permalink to story.

Rumor = Setup for a Fall

Rumors like this is only suggesting that Microsoft is slowly testing the waters, just to see how far back they are being forced in returning to Windows 7 style GUI. With that said, I don't see this rumor being to far fetched.

I've fixed a lot on my own so far so good. Business Windows 7 Tablet I had seems to run better then it did with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit now with Windows 8.1 Pro Media Center everything working. I just wish Microsoft would clean-up the nonsense with Metro App authors. Too much bad apps on there. Some good ones and some don't work so good. Sure isn't Google Play Store but they had the same issues too. Takes time to get it right Microsoft.

Update for 8.1 will be interesting. I really don't care for this flip flop GUI. Just too bad it could be 100% one GUI. So it has to install x86/x64 desktop apps then it has to flip flop to Metro app to install. So you have hidden Win apps folder that stores all the Metro app. Gmail touch plus bad app full of ads not even needed can use Mail app that Microsoft gives you for free same app that's in Windows 8 smartphone.

If I was Microsoft they should have a Tablet OS only for Tablets out there. Create a new Desktop OS or just ditch the Metro Code OS. So all Windows 7 owners would be happy with.

If I launch WMC it flips to the Desktop then loads. Exit it's in the desktop. Slide then Start back in Metro. Flipping and flopping a lot. Task stuff that needs to be worked on slide from the right doesn't stay. I know Google Honeycomb had the same issue when it was first introduce with the slide out task bar. That got fixed under ICS.

One of my Quad System had IRQ issue kept shutting down in 7 and 8.1 8.1 blue screen told me it was IRQ issue. Gone into the BIOS sure enough there was default setting enabled. Disabled it. IRQ issue resolved for good.

I don't care if they add "boot to desktop" or bring back the start menu. If they don't include aero support then I will not upgrade to Windows 8.1, period.

Somebody please tell me what is the problem with Windows 7?
If you can do better version do better but not different.
I will use Windows 7 till support 2020 or more.
dont want see this
google.com/imghp?q=computer+dump

Windows 7 everyone uses it, Windows 8 sort of but installation is quick they got rid of the WEI which really don't need. Thus saving memory and system resources. Metro and Desktop is the issue most of us have to grow to get to use to it. Even if they boot into the desktop you still have Metro lurking around. Again remove Metro on Desktops give us the option to install it or now.

Do you want to install Metro Tiles GUI yes or no.
Do you want classic Windows Desktop w/o Aero yes or no.
Do you want modern Windows Desktop with Aero yes or no.

Installation should tell if your using a TS (touch screen)
It should know how to setup the system by CPU cores or speed.
It should keep clean-after itself when the installation is completed.

I find it cute how it reads: Hi after installation. The old XP use to talk to you or something like that or had a bouncing paper clip.

Windows you can install OS
Android you have to image the tablet or they push the OS Image update via a web site.
I heard they thing by 2016 Android will be the OS everyone will be using. I don't think so.

Android is limited, you can do much more with Windows than you can with Android. ChromeOS can't compare.

Once your shortcut tiles for desktop apps are pinned to the start screen you can press windows key, click an app and bam. It's fast and you save taskbar space. But it's not consistent and people want choice. As for wanting aero back, I like the new look. It feels newer somehow with the solid colors and square edges.

What is the huge deal with Aero?? It really is that important for you to have "glass" like window borders???

What is the huge deal with Aero?? It really is that important for you to have "glass" like window borders???
I cant stand not using aero (windows 7). the non-aero interface makes the corner buttons (minimize, maximize, exit) far too small for me too use effectively. xD I wish I was joking.

I used Windows since Win 3.1. It is really funny to read some of these comments especially the ones related to Aero. I remember when Vista was introduced there was a huge outcry that it is a system hog and should be disabled by default. Now once Win 8 abandoned it to save some juice on portable devices I hear cries for bringing back the Aero.

In response to comments like keep a separate SKU for tablets and a separate for desktops, what about a device like Asus T100? I use it as a tablet when traveling and with keyboard and mouse when at home. I find Metro very useful and much more user friendly that iOS7 and Android. And I want it on my device that I may use without the keyboard. I like the approach with smart context menus that interpret if a person uses a mouse or touch screen much better.

I had a very negative impression of W8 when it was first introduced. After giving it its fair shake using it on my T100, I must say I like it, warts and all. After tracking my pattern of use of programs on my desktop, I realized that 90 percent of the time I use programs in a full screen mode and remaining time I split the screen between two windows even on a 27" high-res monitor. For me it is not significantly different from using the metro app either in full screen or half screen mode.

In response to comments like keep a separate SKU for tablets and a separate for desktops, what about a device like Asus T100? I use it as a tablet when traveling and with keyboard and mouse when at home. I find Metro very useful and much more user friendly that iOS7 and Android. And I want it on my device that I may use without the keyboard. I like the approach with smart context menus that interpret if a person uses a mouse or touch screen much better.
I have always been calling for a choice. let people use metro like now, the start menu/desktop combo being primary, or even somehow both! it really wouldnt be that hard to integrate!

Aero is the most important part of Windows since 1993, more important than Start Button-Menu.

Aero is the most important part of Windows since 1993, more important than Start Button-Menu.

I presume it is sarcasm. I like it as an eye candy on my desktop. When it drains already paltry resources of a mobile device, I'd prefer not to have it. But I prefer choice more. There was no particular reason to kill it altogether. It was an option in Vista/W7 and should stay an option, maybe disabled by default.

To me is like saying "I didnt change OS because of the icones they used in the new one, fuglies!!".

I've never missed it... also I don't feel the buttons any smaller than they were on W7, you maybe have a theme enabled??

Once your shortcut tiles for desktop apps are pinned to the start screen you can press windows key, click an app and bam. It's fast and you save taskbar space. But it's not consistent and people want choice. As for wanting aero back, I like the new look. It feels newer somehow with the solid colors and square edges.

It's feel newer because, by definition, it is newer. Use Metro for 3 or 4 years, looking at the same dull square color purple tiles for 5 years. Then when Microsoft releases Windows 11 with a rainbow of colors and 3d tiles, in 3 years you can cut'n'paste your post above and it will be as relevant then as it is this very moment. The old will be new again. People are so funny.

Micro$oft needs to pick everyone's pocket to earn more revenue and keep operating. :D

I am only half-joking with this as M$ announced that their "profit model" would be to churn out software updates that no one can live without so that they can continue to make money.

The only problem is is that M$ is experiencing a disconnect between what they think users want, and what the users themselves really want or need. That is why the market basically said who needs anything new when we have XP, and forced M$ to revise, several times, their end-of-life schedule for XP.

Now, whether M$ likes it or not, 7 is the new XP in that regard - at least until M$ figures out that there latest splash of bling (AKA Win 8) is not what the marketplace wants.

On a personal note there are quite a few things wrong with W7. The problem being that MS have not resolved the issues but made them worse in W8. I think the worse aspect is the continuing diminishing of customizable options.

Windows 8 has other issues beyond the Metro interface. Basic functions like printer installation, general printing are a complete headache. Wireless network sharing is a complete failure even with third party commercial softwares unable to deliver what was possible with Windows 7.
Windows 8 also does not work well with previous softwares, often requiring a .Net3.0 or 3.5Framework installation. Even after the installation of those, the softwares might not work correctly. Windows 8 is nearly a total failure and offers only thus far one good, a new look that defeats an old purpose.
The desktop should have been made to take the Metro interface not Metro replacing the desktop. Like Vista, many users have been forced to get illegal versions of Windows XP or Windows7 as it were with this scenario. Windows 8.1 or update 1 still does not address these issues.

On a personal note there are quite a few things wrong with W7. The problem being that MS have not resolved the issues but made them worse in W8. I think the worse aspect is the continuing diminishing of customizable options.

Julie Larson didn't want you have to make any "tough" decisions like, what wallpaper do I want on my desktop today? Those kind of things are best left to be tampered with only by people who know what they are doing and know the full implications of making a decision that has such an incredible impact on ones operating system.

Julie Larson didn't want you have to make any "tough" decisions like, what wallpaper do I want on my desktop today? Those kind of things are best left to be tampered with only by people who know what they are doing and know the full implications of making a decision that has such an incredible impact on ones operating system.
Many of the changes have been counter productive for example in Office 2003 an active window was easily identified as the window border displayed as a dark colour. In Office 2010 they have gone to an insipid colour scheme so you cannot tell which window is active. The result is I have frequently type in data on the wrong spreadsheet. With Office 2003 you had a great deal of choice on the visual look. With Office 2010 there are only 3,different styles and they are broadly the same.

A classic case of style over substance. Don't get me wrong there are some features in Office 2010 I really like such as the additional Excel functions (ie sumifs) more compact file size etc. It is just a shame all the improvements are accompanied by irritations such as the ribbon etc.

It is just a shame all the improvements are accompanied by irritations such as the ribbon etc.
As much as I like the Ribbon Interface, I can understand why others consider it non-productive. It is not easy learning which commands are on which ribbon. Scanning ribbons for the command you want is not as productive. And unless you hide the ribbon which makes it even less productive, you loose work area.

I work with Excel as a hobby, so I don't have to worry about productivity. If I did have to worry about productivity, I could see myself wanting the Classic Menu Interface back. I also agree that this is a prime example of the lack of user options coming from Microsoft. Even though I don't strongly object to the Ribbon Interface, I do strongly object to not having a choice.

It is just a shame all the improvements are accompanied by irritations such as the ribbon etc.
As much as I like the Ribbon Interface, I can understand why others consider it non-productive. It is not easy learning which commands are on which ribbon. Scanning ribbons for the command you want is not as productive. And unless you hide the ribbon which makes it even less productive, you loose work area.

I work with Excel as a hobby, so I don't have to worry about productivity. If I did have to worry about productivity, I could see myself wanting the Classic Menu Interface back. I also agree that this is a prime example of the lack of user options coming from Microsoft. Even though I don't strongly object to the Ribbon Interface, I do strongly object to not having a choice.
Having used Office 2010 for about a year I have got used to it. I minimise the ribbon as it takes up too much screen area. In fact I seldom use the ribbon as I prefer to use right click. Any commands which I use frequently not on the right click are added to the task bar.

The funny thing is I was having a conversation with a friend on my train home and he complained about the ribbon because he found the categories do not seem logical. I had to agree with him as I have often resorted to google to figure out how to carry out some of the lesser used functions. Whilst I am the subject I would also like to complain about the help on MS Office. The search brings up so many inappropriate results. I have given up using help and use Google instead.

If MS does not seem to care about it existing customers. The fact they have not issued SP2 for W7 seems to confirm it.

Back