Running Cat5e with electrical wire

Status
Not open for further replies.
DO NOT Run Cat5e with electrical wire, it can cause a fire or if it shorts out everything hooked up to the cat5e will get damaged

All my cables do not touch each other. You want to keep the EMI/EMF levels to a low side. This can be done. Electrical box you can isolate the Ethernet cable using a shielding method. Power, Coax, Ethernet, USB, Speaker wire and etc. should not be touching!

Anyone touching each other or all of these touching electrical wire? None of mine are touching electrical wire.

Anyone touching each other or all of these touching electrical wire? None of mine are touching electrical wire.

Good! Thus reduce throughput won't be effected on your network. I say if you can do it, go the route of dedicated each of your connected nodes (devices) to have their own Ehternet cable connections. I did that here and that made a huge difference. To much daisy chaining one single line then attaching switches to the main line in a chain causes throughput loss and etc effect.

Use Plenum Grade CAT5 and you will likely be ok... but shielded is better... you can get good shielding at Lowes and Home Depot.

Good! Thus reduce throughput won't be effected on your network. I say if you can do it, go the route of dedicated each of your connected nodes (devices) to have their own Ehternet cable connections. I did that here and that made a huge difference. To much daisy chaining one single line then attaching switches to the main line in a chain causes throughput loss and etc effect.

I tried a single throughput test as compared to connected to the switch and I found no difference in the speed. Maybe my switches are just good. I don't know.

Even worse than running next to AC wire is running over the top of fluorescent lights.
Or putting a kink in the CAT5. Learned those additional tricks in cabling school 20 years ago.
Basic stuff

I was really referring to an installation in a business or factory where they are rampant.
I agree with you though I like softer lighting in my home.

I tried a single throughput test as compared to connected to the switch and I found no difference in the speed. Maybe my switches are just good. I don't know.

What switches are you using? How old are they? Switches like any hardware will degrade in performance over the years. I buy switches that are made of metal, have either a heatsink on the controller or fan in the housing or both. Packet RAM buffer size also needs to be large enough. Mac address of 8K instead of 1K. I say way from plastic stuff and never again will use Netgear Gig switching. When the Temp probe had measured 131F on switch with no heatsink on Gig Controller Chip was enough for me with duff ports.

Power is traveling along the Ethernet cables when you connect each node to your external switches. I just isolate all cables from each other. You can connect Ethernet on the same strand with other Ethernet. If you can use PCI-E instead of PCI for Gig connections.

hey Tipster,
My first LAN 1991 was Proteon Token Ring cards. Cabletron Switches (believe they are out of business now) and they held a cabling class I Minneapolis.
They also cabled our LAN at the time.

Using 4 Catalyst 3750 48 POe now with ethernet, but I still watch the guy when he runs new CAT5. Getting too old to run cable in the ceiling myself, although I do in a bind.

I have a ProCurve 1810-8g from HP switch. Look at the reviews of it. You will like it.

Yes you have a neat switch 512KB for PB and the same Switching capacity I use in my 8-port Gig switch. But some switches are faster than other switches in comparison.
TRENDnet TEG-S80TXE EG-S80TXE 8-PORT 10/100/1000MBPS COPPER GIGABIT SWITCH have this one since 2008 no issues came with 5 year protection. Still chipset use in it for Controller and packet buffer is higher than in the spec. This manges all N and Gig connections. I use 16-port TrenDnet Business 1.5MB PB switch for all G and 100 meg connections. I keep both separated.

My gig nodes are going so I am looking at 4MB PB gig switch. I need no-block ports as most are, but again some switches are faster than others.

hey Tipster,
My first LAN 1991 was Proteon Token Ring cards. Cabletron Switches (believe they are out of business now) and they held a cabling class I Minneapolis.
They also cabled our LAN at the time.

Using 4 Catalyst 3750 48 POe now with ethernet, but I still watch the guy when he runs new CAT5. Getting too old to run cable in the ceiling myself, although I do in a bind.

I started in this network/desktop business over 12 years ago out with Token network gear learned RAW meaning hands on experience. Migrated clients from Token rings to Ethernet, 10 to 100 and 100 to 1000 and now 1000 to 10000.

Today that's what being used the 3750 24/48-port Gig manged switches. Telnet or use the software that Cisco sells. Nortel Gig Switches seem to be able to handle higher temps where there is no cooling in the network closet. I prefer Cisco Managed switches. Being a good tech at the time I could have kept the old 2900 series and use it here. Like most techs seem to have these in the house running. Noisy they are. But anyway I ran my own Cat 5e here in this home when I had moved in. Each room has a connection some have more than one.

Yes who wants to run cable that's why you use Network Services to run the cables. Good business to get into, but it's time consuming process. If you got bad back or knees issues then your out of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back